Russ White - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
rheavn

Default Russ White

I wanted to let every one know that Russ White took a fall on his spiral staircase of his Newell. I spoke to him today & he is in bed & his daughter is taking care of him. Russ has been an active member of this forum since January of 2010 . I thought if any one has been helped by Russ or knows him they might want to post a get well here. Russ wants to remind every one that the granite spiral entry steps are slippery & please be careful!

Old 09-25-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
tuga

Default Spiral steps

First, I would like to wish Russ a quick recovery. I have had a few people to fall going down these steps over the last 5 years, forunately no one was hurt. I try to warn people to favor the "wide part" of the steps and hold on to the handle. The middle part of the steps can be tricky especially when your feet are wet.

I have considered installing some WalMart doormat material cut to size and silicone-ing it down to the steps. My wife doesn't like the way it would look, but I may over ride her veto!

I use this material on my retractable steps and it works great. It is easy to change when it becomes worn. Just pull it up, cut the new material to size, and squeeze new silicone on it, and put it on each step. It stays in place and since my steps are black it blends in nicely.

Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
RussWhite

Tuga, Steve, Tom, and Bill - Thanks ever so much for your words of concern.

I am also reminded of others who have proceeded me with a fall on their spiral stairs. Let me detail a little bit more what happened in the event it might allow others readers to learn from my misfortune.

As with lots of things that go wrong, there are often more than one contributing factor to the event. It was a beautiful day, so the door to the coach was latched open. Since it was the middle of the day I felt no need to close the screen as there were no mosquitoes or flies flying. I was exiting the coach. I think one is more likely to get in trouble on those steps going down, and that may well be true for all steps. I was carrying a pair of binoculars in my left hand. I was a step or two down when I slipped. I was wearing tennis shoes/running shoes. I remember the feeling of the shoes sliding across the edge of the step when it should have been taking my weight - I'm 5-11" 160 lbs. Tuga mentions a handle. There is not much to grab inside my coach. If there ever was any kind of an inside handle, it is no longer there. The first handle opportunity is outside on the coach wall just to the left of the door as you enter. My fall had started well before I would have been able to reach that handle. On my right going out there are only the very smooth sides of the laminate and on the left, nothing at all. Right at the top of the stairs there are the two translucent posts that most people grasp when climbing the staris, but they don't offer much on the way down.

When I eventually return to living there, the memory will be strong and will probably be sufficient to prevent any future problems. I still think I will look hard at the stairs and see if any ideas come to mind to make them less hazardous. I sure will consider what Tuga has mentioned when I fully understand what he is suggesting.

Again - Thanks Guys - Russ
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
HoosierDaddy

My thoughts are with you Russ....
Dean
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:15 PM   #5
RussWhite

Thanks Dean! I can't wait to get back "to always fixing something". Russ
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
smagown

Hey Russ:

Hope you're feeling better. Your mishap has prompted me to cover my stairs with something like Tuga is suggesting.
Thanks,
97 #458 w/3 roof airs, 07 997 GT3, 62 Vette,67 SS427 Chevelle, 02 Boxter, 74 GMC mtr hm, 88 Mastercraft 190 Prostar, 86 Ski Nautique 2000, 02 Baja Islander 212
smagown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:54 PM   #7
jwe648

Default Hoping for a Quick recovery

Sorry to hear about your mishap Russ... Hope your better soon... One other Solution is the 3M Safety Walk Tape. It comes in several widths & colors including clear.. We use it in the aircraft industry... It is aviaible in many hardware stores to include ACE... There is enough on a roll that several could share....

Jimmy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pACE3-962798dt.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	836  
Old 09-25-2010, 11:16 PM   #8
prairieschooner

This looks like the same stuff that we use on boats. I bought it by the foot at West Marine and used it at our cabin on the treads for the staircase. It comes in clear, white and black in different widths. It may even be the same stuff that is used in bathrooms.

1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote