this might sound silly but what qualifies as a big rig? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
Maxwell55

Question this might sound silly but what qualifies as a big rig?

i seen campgrounds and rv parks saying they are big rig friendly. my question is what exactly qualifies as a big rig?

Maxwell55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
speedingsport

40' and up IMO.

speedingsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
Neweller

I would have to agree with 40' and up or with multiple slides. I think most folks are worried about maneuvering around the camp or resort without taking out tree limbs or another RV and having ample length for parking their toad. Pull thru's are nice unless your are wanting a particular view.

I might add, it's always nice to know you the route to and from the location is friendly.

Ken
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:30 AM   #4
1993Newell

I would say a big rig is 35’– 45’ in length and pulling a car or trailer makes them 60’– 90’ in overall length.

Add to all this length the addition of slide-outs and not only do we require a site that will accommodate our length but also our width.

Another concern for us big rigs is electricity. With 2 airs we also require at least 50 amp services. With the addition of 3 air conditioners, sometimes 4 and other electric requirements like an all electric kitchen, some may need 100 amp services and at most luxury rv resorts you will have no problem finding these services.

1993 Newell Coach Motorhome
1993Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:32 AM   #5
1993Newell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neweller View Post
I would have to agree with 40' and up or with multiple slides. I think most folks are worried about maneuvering around the camp or resort without taking out tree limbs or another RV and having ample length for parking their toad. Pull thru's are nice unless your are wanting a particular view.

I might add, it's always nice to know you the route to and from the location is friendly.

Ken
Ken I agree it's always best if you know your route is friendly so you don't find yourself in a jam.

1993 Newell Coach Motorhome
1993Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:02 AM   #6
prairieschooner

I think that you guys with a 45' have a "big rig", glad we are in a 38'. I think that you would need to take the width into consideration an 8'6" could be considered a "big rig", glad ours is 8'.
Not saying that I don't appreciate and newer 4 slide Newell, just don't know if I want to try to maneuver one. The 2007 4 Slide that was at Crede a few years ago was amazing!!!
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:03 AM   #7
Gone Busing

I agree with you Steve on size and when we upgrade our next bus or coach I could careless for slides and 40 maybe 42 foot would be max in length. Our current bus is 96" and 102" inch, either one will not make or break the deal on our next coach. I do like a good inside height. Saying this I feel my 40' foot bus conversion is already a big rig and the next one will be too. Now if were talking 45 or 46 foot like some Newell's or bus conversions, then those are ultra big rigs especially adding a trailer to the package.

Comparing Luxury Motor Coaches
Gone Busing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
lbrachfe

The "Parks" consider any tag axle a "big rig" and most coaches built over 40 are tags

lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote