Need help with water lines on Unit #146 1987 model Newell - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2014, 11:53 PM   #1
Bob & Peggy Standeford

Default Need help with water lines on Unit #146 1987 model Newell

I'm setting in Sam'sTown RV park in Las Vegas, next door to me is a fellow from BC, Can. who just purchased unit #146 a nice 1987 model. Since it was stored in BC it had antifreeze in all of the lines, after draining he is having a problem getting water pressure both with shore water or pump. Does anyone know the correct positions for all of the valves. I'm just trying to help a new owner of a great old classic, but I have number 516 and it's not the same as number 146. thanks

45 ft. 2 slides, 500 hp. D60, #516
2004 Saturn station wagon
Bob & Peggy Standeford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
rellick

Hi Bob, it's one of those things that is hard to explain without seeing the valves and manifold, a picture would help.
On my 87 it was easier to get water pressure with shore water first if it was drained down. There should be a valve just after the shore inlet, it has to be on. There will be another valve coming from the tank, it should be off, unless you want to fill the tank.
From the manifold there should be a vertical pipe with a valve, that one is your main to the coach, turn it on.
It does help to have someone inside at the water tap that can hear the air or water coming out.
Hope this helps, if not take a picture of the water manifold and post it.

22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #3
Bob & Peggy Standeford

Thanks Keith,
We got some water by useing the pump, but not much pressure. There is a small black almost as big as a football that has a sharader valve in the end of it. When we push it in we get water flowing out. Is this some kind of pressure regulator and if water comes out is it broken?
Old 01-28-2014, 05:02 PM   #4
rellick

That sounds like a pressure tank (accumulator) you may be loosing pressure there. Depending on the pump it may have a adjustable pressure switch that turns the pump off when it reaches desired pressure. It may need adjusting. Pictures would help alot.
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
77newell

I'm not absolutely sure of this but I seem to recall having one of those black accumulators in an earlier coach and if I recall correctly there was no bladder in it to separate the water and the air. When there was water pressure and you pressed the shrader valve I always got water. The air would slowly dissolve in the water so it needed added air now and then unlike the accumulators with bladders. In no case that I can think of would a failed accumulator cause more than fast cycling when using the pump. If water pressure is low when using the pump there is either a bad pump with internal recycling, a restriction in the piping or valves or you are low on water in the tank (which would be evidenced by air burping out of faucets when turned on)

All I can otherwise suggest is follow the water from a known pressure source all the way to the needed faucet. If pressure is low or nonexistent in all faucets the problem has to be in a location shared by all, usually in that octopus of valves in the water bay which may or may not be original.
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:34 PM   #6
Bob & Peggy Standeford

Thanks all,
We got all the water running fair, except in the shower/bathtub. It had been stored for 3 years in BC, Can. We think the shower has grud in the mixer in the shower. He has moved on, his name is Don Honeychurch and he is on NewellClassic.