Newell Coach Engine Getting Hot - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
BMG Coach

Default Newell Coach Engine Getting Hot

When pulling a grade (even a slight one), the engine heats up. I down shift to get the RPM's up, and slow the unit down to 55 mph, and turn off the cruise control when it starts to heat up. I have had the thermostat replaced, the radiator cleaned out, and I routinely blow the radiator out prior to a trip. I recently installed an additional fans to help pull the heat from the engine. However, it still gets hot. I am seeking a solution to correct the heat problem and get more fresh air to circulate around the engine.

Prevost, Newell Coach, Liberty Coach, Wanderlodge, Foretravel, Outlaw coach, Millennium coach, Marathon Coach, Luxury Coach, RV, Bus Conversion

BMG Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
NewellCrazy

Is your slobber tube from the engine long enough to extend back beyond the radiator. If not it needs to be extended in such a way that there is no dips in it that could trap oil or moisture.

Secondly, check the radiator by shining a strong light through it and see how much of the radiator is plugged. IF it is you will have to get it cleaned.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

If your radiator is located in the back instead on the side, the slobber tube as mentioned above may be depositing oil on the lower part of the radiator. I had this problem on an Alfa, and pressure washing did not clean the radiator. I had to clean with steam. If all of this is true, you need to reroute the tube to the side of the coach.
2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:34 PM   #4
The Newell

Where is your radiator located? Side or Rear of your newell?

Joseph

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:57 PM   #5
MrE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMG Coach View Post
When pulling a grade (even a slight one), the engine heats up. I down shift to get the RPM's up, and slow the unit down to 55 mph, and turn off the cruise control when it starts to heat up. I have had the thermostat replaced, the radiator cleaned out, and I routinely blow the radiator out prior to a trip. I recently installed an additional fans to help pull the heat from the engine. However, it still gets hot. I am seeking a solution to correct the heat problem and get more fresh air to circulate around the engine.
It would help if you provided more information(year, engine, etc.) to the forum so that we can help you solve your problem I don't see any reference to your water pump, if it's not pumping water none of what you have done will help. It sounds to me like you need a good infrared thermometer to help isolate where your problem is.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:14 AM   #6
ccjohnson

We had ours re-cored, new thermostats, & hoses. It helped immensely!! However, on long grades with a heavy toad, we still have to drop a gear occasionally to keep temp down.

XL-7
F-350 4X4 Crewcab
F-250 4X4 Crewcab
ccjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote