new Interior Ideas - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2009, 05:20 PM   #1
doug86newell

Default new Interior Ideas

Ok, My 1986 newell is due for some updates. I want to either replace or re-upholster the sleeper and dinette. I want to replace the barrel chairs with a recliner and a computer workstation. I have looked on the web and found many RV furniture outlets. I am concerned about the quality. I don't want to compromise in that area.

Any of you that have done this have suggestions?

Thanks,

Doug

doug86newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
encantotom

hi doug,

unless you dont like the dinette and sofa, i believe it will be way easier and probably cheaper to reupholster them.

at least on mine, the sofa also has a laminate frame cover on it that holds heat vents, heater, drawers etc. in addition it has to fit around the furnace that is under there. we reupholstered ours and it turned out like new. ours had the original leather on it and it had faded. it was still in excellent condition but the color wasnt matching our new interior and it looked faded.

the same for the dinette. mine has drawers and a furnace underneath it. so , not many options other than reupholstering it.

we chose a high grade faux leather that feels and looks like real leather and we used white. i know white sounds nuts, but it cleans easy and looks fantastic.

in our case, it was way cheaper to have it all reupholstered than to replace and replacing would have been an absolute ton of work to go around all the things underneath.

so that is my two cents worth.

as for the stand alone chairs, there you have the ability to replace easily if you want.

i also had the headboard, valences front and rear recovered. there i used a marine grade white vinyl. extremely easy to clean and looks great again. the vinyl we used closely matches the vinyl on the ceiling. the original material was a white suede type stuff that really absorbed the dirt and was impossible to clean.

my rear valences were covered to match the original drapes as well as the headboard. since we replaced the drapes, we chose to use the same white marine grade vinyl on them. turned out great.

valence are very difficult to recover unless you are a pro to get them done without seeing puckers.

we have opposing couches, and they were different sizes from each other.

i sent you a private message with my contact info if you want to call and talk.

my drivers and passenger seats were replaced with flexsteel ones covered in ultraleather. very comfy.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
fulltiming

Obviously if you want 'original' quality you can take it back to Newell and have them do the work. As far as a computer workstation, you might also check with Davis Cabinets. I have heard only good things about them. For furniture try Brad & Hall.

For reupholstery, you might check around locally for that service.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:24 AM   #4
Richard and Rhonda

I reupholstered my booth myself. Like Tom said, there are so many intracies of the booth frame that you may find constructing a new one to be time consuming. The frame on mine was made of sturdy plywood and hardwood. The foam was still good, too. So I all put into it was time, some upholstery cloth, and a new staple gun.

I think you will find the same true for the couch.

For putting recliners in it, you may be able to get away with residential stuff. The big attraction for flexsteel is that it is made to breakdown to get through an RV door.

Computer desk? I agree with the suggestion find you a good cabinet shop that does 'built ins"
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:34 AM   #5
HoosierDaddy

Hi Doug,
We had the sofa recovered and bought 4 matching leather seats that swivel and recline from a local RV salvage outlet for $600.00.
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:03 AM   #6
Wally Arntzen

Hi Doug,

I had a 78 and redid the entire interior. I got new drivers and passenger seats from Brad & Hall covered with ultra leather. I purchased extra ultra leather material from them that was the same as the seats and had a local upolsterer cover the sofa and part of the wall panels.
The coach looked beautiful and we sold it when I purchased my 88.
I agree with Tom. It would be diffcult to replace the couch.
I wish you well and have at it. You will be pleased with the results and continue to have a great Newell with your own finishing touches.

Wally
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #7
doug86newell

Thanks for all the great info. Sounds like time to take the original out and get it re-done. The wife wants to replace the barrel chairs with another sofa. Thats the easy part. I have found lots of great ideas. Hope I have the patience that Tom had.

Doug
Old 07-27-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
doug86newell

Default Been a While

I finally got back to doing things on the Newell. If I could just sell my businesses, I would be on the road full time. The wife isn't very excited about it so I put it for sale. Well now it looks like I will be getting started again. I am building a covered slip for it at a property I have had for a while. Got a ditch dug for the sewer line, water and elec... Fixed the door latch thanks to a previous post. Ordered a new switch for the hot water heater. Since I will be removing the dinette and sofa to be re-covered, I decided to replace the dated carpet with hardwood flooring. I have looked at a lot of your posts and couldn't think of a better time to do it. I have what is left of the summer, fall and winter to get her ready for lots of miles next spring.

I will be towing a 20' enclosed trailer with the toys. Lots of cabinets... to build for it. I had it foam insulated and a roof air added. The Harley will have a comfortable place to travel.

Doug
Old 07-27-2010, 06:48 PM   #9
chockwald

Hope you will post pictures of your progress. We love pictures....thanks for sharing your progress!!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:22 PM   #10
bluesky

Default '83 Classic

Regarding new recliners, the coach we recently purchased in Holland MI has a nice new full recliner.

My concern is that the recliner is not secured to the floor of the coach. On our "test" ride it actually slid around a bit before the previous owner put it on a carpet, which kept it from sliding.

In your opinion, is that save? What if you have to come to a quick stop, or even worse, hit something or roll over. It can't be a good thing having this huge recliner flying around.

Thoughts?
Kelowna, British Columbia
Canada
1983 Newell Classic
https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=47
1993 SOB
bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:42 AM   #11
express1

Default recliner

mine is not bolted either, but it must weigh more than 100lbs. Looking to replace it with new euro style .... I like the ekornes but more big bucks...
if you think my spellin is bad, you should sea my handwritten. #437 w/flex toad (STAY AWAY FROM LARRY BELL aka larrynjeri) he is a lier and a lock picker.
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:09 AM   #12
folivier

The ones with the attached footrest are really nice, Villa?
I took out the ottaman from mine, it just took up too much space.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #13
Richard and Rhonda

To answer your question, NO. It's not a good idea to have a big heavy unsecured item like that. You might consider bolting it to a tether if you need to move it around a bit.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
doug86newell

I haven't been on here for a while. The wife got a better offer so she is gone and I have returned to the workplace for a while. I did pick up some land in Western Montana where I am from and will put the Coach in an enclosed area there. It will be a while before I get much done on it, just use it for a summer cabin. I am workcamping in Georgia the rest of the time. Staying in a bumper pull here. I started getting the Newell ready for the trip from Texas to Montana while I was there for Christmas. All the services, filters, fluids, tires... I will tow my pickup up there with the Newell next summer and just drive the pickup back when I go home.