Snow on the roof - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2011, 12:33 AM   #1
W. Mark Hellinger

Default Snow on the roof

I'm wondering what the snow load rating for the roof of my mid '90's coach is (coach #426)? This is my first winter with this coach. I'd suspect 6" or a foot would be no big deal... and I have the heat on... and so-far any accumulation has melted off in a day or two (we received about a foot or so of the white stuff last week).

I had a converted MCI-7 for about a decade... didn't seem like upwards of a couple of feet of snow on the roof of that coach ever mattered.

Is there an amount of snow accumulation on the roof that would be cause for concern? I can see that getting up there to shovel it off would be... well... a bit interesting. Maybe I should just park it in the barn for the winter... and maybe next year I'll get the RV shed built.

W. Mark Hellinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:50 AM   #2
busnut

Your main problem is location.

'93 43.5' #318
busnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:42 AM   #3
Wally Arntzen

I really don't understand your question. Are you concerned that the roof will cave in or leak.
Newells have alluminum roofs which can be walked on and several feet of snow will not have an affect on the roof unless you have leaks that you are concerned about. Mine is sitting outside in Minnesota and I don't like it but I sure don't think that is going to be any kind of a problem. I do not have the heat on and the only thing is that I have plugged in to keep the batteries charged. I suspect that it will start in the spring when I clean up the water system from the anti freeze it should be go to go.
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
W. Mark Hellinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Arntzen View Post
I really don't understand your question. Are you concerned that the roof will cave in or leak.
Yes. My concern was with not knowing how much weight from snow the roof can comfortably handle before risking damage to the roof structure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Arntzen View Post
Newells have alluminum roofs which can be walked on and several feet of snow will not have an affect on the roof unless you have leaks that you are concerned about.
I don't have leaks. It's is very comforting to know that I can let it pile up (we seldom get more than a couple of feet build-up on roofs)... rather than be overly concerned and needlessly shoveling it off.

Thanks for the info and voice of experience.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:02 PM   #5
W. Mark Hellinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by busnut View Post
Your main problem is location.

Yea... I know.

But it's where my business is located. Trust me... I've "enjoyed" as much snow as I care to in my lifetime... I'd prefer to ride my scooter than shovel snow any day of the week.

If and when I ever retire (yea, right! Self employed business owner doing what he really likes to do talking about retireing... hah!)... anyhoo... if and when I ever retire, I think I'll haywire a snow shovel to the front of the camper and start driving south till somebody asks me what that thing is on the front of my camper... I figure I'll have driven far enough south then.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:39 PM   #6
Neweller

Mark, I have lived in Colorado for a few years and have had my coach completely hidden in snow and it never hurt anything. I did however get up on top one time and went to catch my balance while clearing snow off her and leaned over on a cold A/C cover and broke it. Don't think you have much to worry about with your Newell.

Ken

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote