Barth owner looking at Newell's - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2006, 07:48 PM   #1
Barthman

Default Barth owner looking at Newell's

My parents currently own a nice Barth motorhome which is has some similarities to a Newell motorhome. They like the Barth but it is only 34 feet in length and they want to go with something longer but of the same caliber and class. What are the most common sizes available for the 80's to early 90's Newell's? Any particular I should consider when shopping for one?

I recently discovered a nice selection in the classifieds. Looks like there is great support for these Newell motorhomes.

Vince

I love Newell Coaches and would love to trade up to one from the Barth motorhome. I don't think the Wanderlodge or Prevost bus conversion are as nice.

Barthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:05 AM   #2
fulltiming

Hey Barthman. In the Classic series prior to 1990 I know that there was a 36' or 37' but most were around 40'. Since that time 38' is the shortest Newell made. The 38' footers are in short supply as most are 40' to 45'.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:24 AM   #3
Barthman

We are thinking we want to go with a 38 to 40 footer. It looks as if I go with something 93' and older I will pretty much be having a DD8V92, is that correct? Were there other engine options? How is serviceability on those Detroits anyway?
Barthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:54 AM   #4
fulltiming

Starting with the Series 2000 in 1990, finding a 38-40 Newell is going to be tough. There are some out there but not many. It is easier to find a Classic style (pre 1990) in the 38-40' range. The Detroit Diesel V92's were used in Newell during that time period were good engines. They are two stoke engines rather than four stroke. They don't like to be lugged and they don't have the fuel economy of the later Detroit Diesel Series 60 engines but they have a lot of power.

There are Detroit Diesel service centers all across the U.S. Give them proper care and they are a good strong engine. Although I would have prefered a Series 60 for the fuel economy, I bought a Newell with an 8V92. I had the engine dyno'ed and it passed with flying colors, my 500 BHP with 119,000 miles on it was turning out over 410 HP at the rear wheels. Considering the 18%-20% loss you expect to get through the transmission and differential, that means that it was still turning out factory rated power.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote