Spare tire? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
View Poll Results: Do you carry a spare?
Yes 1 7.69%
No 11 84.62%
Tire only (no rim) 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
folivier

Default Spare tire?

How many of you carry a spare tire for your coach?
Mine came with a spare mounted on a matching Alcoa rim, but the tire's DOT year is 1992. So I either need to get a new tire or get rid of it.
If I have a flat and the tire service doesn't have a tire can I travel (slow speeds) on just 1 tire in the rear (don't have a tag axle) to get to a tire shop or campground?
Sure could use the extra storage space.

1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:43 PM   #2
rheavn

Forest,
I carried a tire only in my last coach as all the tires on it were the same size. I didn't mount it on a rim as I wouldn't know where it would be needed. On my Newell I do not carry a tire as the fronts & rears are different sizes. I will say that I had a better comfort level when I had a spare and felt it was good use of storage space.
When I moved the truck I used blew a left rear outside tire. I was able to limp back 10 miles and have the tire replaced. An inner rear tire can be a little trickier as you don't want to damage any lines by driving.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
chockwald

If the blown tire is on of the rears you should be able to go a short distance at low speed. My one and only experience with a blowout I just called Good Sam Club and they sent a guy out with a new tire to install. He changed the tire with the rim still on the coach! Good Sam paid labor and travel time, and I paid for the tire. I don't know anyone with a diesel pusher who carries a spare....of course, I didn't know you did, either, until now...lol.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:14 AM   #4
tuga

Forrest,

I carried a spare tire when we traveled to Alsaka last year. My coach has 315R80/22.5 on the front and 11R24.5 on the rear. The 11R24.5 are easy to find; any truck stop will have that size. The 315R80/22.5 are a little harder to find.

I called a few tire dealers in Anchorage before we left on the trip just to check the availability - the short answer was - we don't have that tire and I can't tell you how long it would be until we could locate one. So when I purchased a new set of tires before the trip I kept one of the front tires and carried it inside my Honda Pilot.

I didn't have to use it, but it was nice to know that it was back there in case I did need it.

When you change tires (every 5 or 7 years) just keep one of the best ones and throw it in the toad if you have room. If you have a popular size tire - one that can be found at any truck stop - I wouldn't bother carrying one.

Just my .02
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:42 AM   #5
Hardtrigger

Default Spare tire

Nah if you blow a tire on your dually you will be find going a few miles limping to a tire shop. You will notice a slight lean of the coach on the side of the damaged tire but if you take it easy and not overheat the tire(speed) and baby it to the next stop you will be fine. I have blown tires or had flat tire with 80,000lb rigs on duallys and dropped the speed to say 30-40mph and milked it 60+ miles in western texas and did fine. Over the course of 15 years or so this has happened more than a couple of times! Just need to get pass that 15 min. freakout time and milk it on to the next stop is what I suggest and free up that storage. Have a good one, Robert
Hardtrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:43 AM   #6
Barry Rooker

My 2001 has 315 x 22.5 drive tires & 365 x 22.5 steering & tag tires. I didn't have to put 365's on the tag but I feel like I'm carrying my steering axle spare on the tag as the tag could use a 315 if need be. Or chain up a tag axle & run without out if need be. 365 & 315 are both pretty rare tire sizes.

The newest Prevost chassis have a mounted spare behind the front bumper which is hinged & flips down. Nice.

Barry Rooker is offline   Reply With Quote