General plumbing questions - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
cdat

Default General plumbing questions

With the weather finally getting above freezing at nite, I can start too test my freshwater and black tank plumbing, I do have some questions regarding my setup.
On the passenger side, I have the ability to hook up to freshwater, either with a hookup directly into the freshwater tank, or a separate incoming water hook-up that feeds directly into the system, neither hook up is plumbing into a filter.
There is also a macerator pump on the the passenger side.
On the driver side, there is another plumbing bay, again with a direct line into the freshwater tank and a separate hookup that directly into the system. This side looks like the most jury rigged set-up I have ever seen, it appears they added a water softener and reran some of the plumbing lines with no real planning. In this case, the water filter is after the freshwater tank, after the water softener and little pressure tank, (cant remember the actual name), just before the water actually goes up into the house portion.
This side has a standard 3" dump valve and gray water bypass.
So, shouldn't the water filter do it's job before the water goes into the fresh water tank and thru the water softener, pressure tank etc?
Does Newell install a built in pressure regulator on the system, I have not been able to find one, not a major deal as I can add one on the incoming hose.
I plan on running a double water filter system, sediment and carbon, any thoughts from you folks on this.
I've never had a macerator pump on an rv before, am I better off running a hook up from the passenger side, over to the sewer hook up, or running the standard 3" and just using the macerator pump for when I go too a dump station?
I plan on redoing the plumbing system next winter, the entire system is 1/2 copper right now, would like to switch to pex when I rework the system.
Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.
john

cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
77newell

I think your filter (just before water goes up to the house) is in a great place. It allows filtering of city water from a direct hookup which my wife appreciates. Filtering water coming from the tank allows adding chlorine to the tank for sanitizing the water, not the tank and system, and then removing the taste before using. I am planning to use just a single carbon filter since it will also remove sediment and my annual usage (we are definitely part timers) is unlikely to result in a plugged filter.

I have a plumbed in pressure regulator that I can't verify is working (gauge broke). It is the first thing after the hose connection. I'm going to replace it with a hose mounted unit on the supply end of the hose simply because it will make the arrangements in the water compartment better.

My coach originally had standard dump valves on each side. When my holding tank died and went to sewer heaven I built a tank with only the driver side outlet. In 10 years I have never needed the passenger side so why have it. Macerator pumps are useful moving poop uphill or long distant - again something that on a couple occasions would have been more convenient but not critical. If I had it I would keep it.

I plan to use PEX for any future changes to my water supply system because it's flexible and it tolerates freezing water.
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote