Suggestions on engine replacement - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2000, 10:59 PM   #1
Jim Crall

Default Suggestions on engine replacement

I have A 38 1/2 ft. 1977 Newell. It had a Cummins 555 engine in it, and the crankshaft failed resulting in major damage. With the 555 engine, the coach was underpowered when driving up hills and mountains were almost impossible.

I am considering putting a Cummins ISC 350 H.P. with an Allison M3066 trans. in it. Would you advise me if this is a good choice, would I have plenty of mountain power,could I use my original trans.( I believe is an Allison 643 ), what about my gear ratio. Please give me any information you can regarding the best engine replacment with plenty of power. If there is anyone out there who has made an engine and/or transmission upgrade, please let me know what you have and if you are pleased with the results.

Jim Crall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2000, 06:00 PM   #2
TechTalk

We urge caution. A coach repower is a complicated and expensive project. A new engine and transmission package "in the crate" could easily cost about $50,000. In addition, many issues would require resolution, including providing increased cooling capacity to handle the extra power. A more powerful engine may be physically larger and not fit within the space available, so frame or body modifications may be required. We expect that the labor costs will be both substantial and difficult to predict with accuracy. You might wish to take the substantial amount of money that could be involved and put it toward a trade for a later model coach, perhaps a 475 - 500 hp 8V92 powered Newell from the mid-1980s or later.

Old 12-27-2000, 01:37 AM   #3
67 Goat

I can relate to the lack of power. I have a 1978 Newell with the Cummins 555. I have considered repowering as well. I think we would need to change the final drive ratio if we go to an inline 6 cylinder. The larger diesels don't run as high an r.p.m. as the 555. If you check with a diesel engine rebuilder you may be able to find a rebuilt 555 priced fairly reasonably. Sell the 555 powered Newell to a flatlander and trade up! I'm curious, how many miles did you get out of that motor?
67 Goat is offline   Reply With Quote