Proper Tires? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2001, 06:14 PM   #1
Jim Cordner

Default Proper Tires?

Proper Tires? Is the G load range tire adequate for the front tires on my 1977, 36ft. coach?

Jim Cordner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 06:29 PM   #2
TechTalk

Proper Tires? - We don't have enough information to give you a yes or no answer. However, to confirm that a particular tire size and load range is adequate, weigh each axle of the coach. Then compare the load of each tire (front axle weight / 2, rear axle / 4, and if so equipped, tag axle / 2) to the tire manufacturer's load rating. The maximum load @ maximum inflation psi is printed on the tire sidewall. Maximum loads at lower inflations are available from the tire manufacturer, often on the internet, or from tire dealers. Keep in mind that inflation is critical. Tire load capacity drops off quickly at lower inflation levels, as it is the air inside the tire that is supporting the vehicle weight. Lower inflation levels lead to excessive sidewall flex, high internal tire temperatures, and possible heat-related failure, most commonly, sudden tread separation at interstate speeds. Once the correct tire is installed, the three primary rules of tire safety are inflation, inflation, and inflation.

Old 07-24-2001, 04:43 AM   #3
Bob Scott

I have been doing a little research on Michelin tires. My 86 has a new set of tires. However they are all G rated. Most dealers including Michelin's web site do not list an H tire in the 11R24.5. Michelin does make a 16 ply tire, however it listed for off road, and can be used on the steering axel. I've looked at this tire and it is not bad looking. I believe that their letter designation for this tire is XZE. Has anyone had any personel experience running this tire on the front steering axel?
Bob Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 07:34 PM   #4
TechTalk

From your description of this as an off road tire, it may have a reduced maximum speed rating, perhaps 55 mph. If so, we would not recommend using it for operation at normal interstate speeds. In addition, your 1986 may be light enough to run load range G tires. According to Michelin, this tire will carry a maximum front axle weight of 12,860 lb. @ 100 psi. If your front axle weight exceeds 12,860 lb., you will need a load range H tire. You may wish to consider the Bridgestone R293. The load range H Bridgestone R293 is rated to carry a front axle weight of up to 14,060 lb. @ 120 psi.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:59 AM   #5
Jim Cordner

Thanks for the answer and advice. I weighed the axles and the front was @9,500 and rear was @17,500. The G load rating seems OK for me.
Jim Cordner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:34 AM   #6
encantotom

i just got all new tires today. i was torn between the michelin xze2 and the continental HSL. both are 11r24.5 loadrange H 16 ply.

i ended up buying the continentals because i saved about 600 bucks doing so.

so, i wont be able to point to my rig and say i only run michelin...but i think they are equivalent quality and ride and i saved some money.

later

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote