solenoids airbags - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
leobess

Default solenoids airbags

I have a 84 Newell and have problems with the right rear wheel bag. I've been told that one of the first things to check are the solenoids.can anyone out there tell me how to test the solenoids to see if there working. I have a ton of other questions , but I'm taking one problem at a time. I drove it back from Fla. to my home, and what a ride it was. There was times when I went over bumb in the road I dam near was knocked out of the seat, and thats doing twenty miles per hour on the highway apron. I would appericate any information I could get.

Thank You

Leobess

leobess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:57 PM   #2
fulltiming

Leo, I presume that the right rear corner of your Newell is sitting significantly lower than the rest of the coach. Is this correct? Do you have air leveling to level the coach when you are parked? If so, will the right side lift when you are parked and use the air leveler controls on the dash? That information will help narrow down the potential problem. I tend to think in terms of the two way air leveling systems (travel and parked) rather than systems that might be air leveling in travel mode only and exclusively use hydraulic levelers for stationary leveling. There are some what more complex systems that have for travel and stationary leveling and hydraulic levelers.

At least on the 1990's models and likely on yours if you have air leveling, there are two separate leveling functions. One system only works off of the leveling control panel on the dash. This allows you to level the coach when you are parked. The other leveling system works when you are on the road and appears to be the system you are having trouble with. I have the HWH automatic leveling system so it operates somewhat differently than the manual system with toggle switches that I have seen on several older model Newells.

Assuming that you do not have a tag axle but do have air leveling, you will likely have a bank of 6 solenoids, likely in the engine compartment to control the air bags for the rear suspension. If you do not have a computerized leveling system, you can apply 12 volts directly to the positive lead of each solenoid (typically the ground wires are fastened together for several solenoids). The solenoids will be right rear raise, left rear raise, right rear lower, left rear lower, and two travel solenoids that are connected to the travel height valves. I don't know when Newell began putting air leveling on their coaches. If you only have hydraulic levelers then your air leveling system would be much less complex and you would only have the travel solenoids and possibly dump solenoids.

If a solenoid is not working, you will, depending on whether the solenoid is for stationary leveling or travel leveling, either have air bag(s) at one corner that will not inflate or will not deflate. The controls on the dash should raise and lower each air bag (or air bag pair). When in motion, assuming the switches on the dash are in the travel mode, the travel solenoids will be activated by ride height valves (one located inboard of the right rear tires, the left rear tires and one in the center of the coach just behind the front axle. A bad ride height valve will prevent the air bags for a wheel position from activating, as will a bad ride height solenoid.

You will need the system air pressure up (preferably 100 psi or more) to begin the test. The down solenoids should let air out of the respective air bags. Of course if the bag is not getting enough air, it will be more difficult to tell. Voltage applied to the up solenoids should start dumping air quickly into one of the sets of air bags and the system pressure will drop quickly unless the engine is running.

So, the first issue is to determine whether all the solenoids are activating when 12 volts is applied. If it is quiet, you should be able to hear a slight click when they activate (power applied) or deactivate (power removed). Stuck solenoids are the most frequent cause of a leveling system malfunction and should be considered a routine maintenance item needing attention every few years. Ride height valves seem to more durable although I suffered a crack in my left rear ride height valve that was draining my air tanks in 10 minutes and the replacement ride height valve was defective and would not dump air when it was extended too high.

If the pressure is up and power is applied to a down solenoid, you should hear air rushing out of a fitting near the solenoids. If the pressure is up and you apply 12 volts to an up solenoid, you should hear air going into the air bag IF it is a stationary leveling solenoid. If the solenoid is a travel solenoid, activating the solenoid just opens the flow of air going to the travel height valve so you may or may not hear any air movement if the travel height (ride height) valve is defective or already at the correct ride height although you should still hear a click when power is applied or removed.

The typical admonition applies NEVER GET UNDER THE COACH WITHOUT HAVING IT PROPERLY BLOCKED UNDER THE FRAME AND WHEEL CHOCKS IN PLACE.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:05 PM   #3
chockwald

I want to thank those of you who have been emphasizing the past few days about blocking the frame when crawling under an air suspended chassis. I wasn't aware of the potential for disaster and/or death, so this forum has probably saved me, and my family some grief. I will never crawl under the Newell again until it is properly blocked
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
fulltiming

Here is the text of a post I made on the DataStormUsers.com forum on June 9, 2008:

"Those who frequent the Prevost and/or Blue Bird Wanderlodge forums may know or have at least read a number of posts by Jim Scoggins.

Jim died Saturday while working on his Prevost. He was working underneath the bus and the air leveling system apparently lost air crushing him. I understand that Jim was 64.

Just another reminder that we all need to be careful out there.
"
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 07-03-2008, 12:49 AM   #5
leobess

I want to thank for the information, I dont think I'll get to it ,because of the 4th but as soon as I do Ill let you know how I did.

Leobess 84 Newell, Barth for sale
leobess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
fulltiming

Question for Leo, or anyone with an early to mid 80's models Newells. Did Newell use air leveling (when parked) at that time on some of their coaches, all of their coaches or none of their coaches? This information will help me in formulating good responses to questions that come up frequently. No need to go into the details of stationary air leveling (in lieu of hydraulic leveling) if few, if any, Newell's used it in that time period.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 07-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #7
chockwald

I have an '82, and it has air leveling on all four corners. Everything is manual, of course. No automatic leveling
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 07-03-2008, 11:02 PM   #8
madson95

have a 1985 widebody {may be the first widebody} and only manual control of leaveling but works GREAT. like the option to lift or lower each corner.
madson95
85 40 widebody
2001 vw bug toad
calmar ia
madson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:47 AM   #9
fulltiming

Thanks, apparently air leveling was common on the Classics.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 07-07-2008, 10:26 AM   #10
gaz

Default gaz

hi all our 1980 newell arrived last friday it has air level system ,all i have to do now is convert it to right hand drive
gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:20 PM   #11
chockwald

GAZ...that should be an interesting conversion. Are you doing it, or hiring someone to convert your coach to right hand steering?
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 07-07-2008, 08:27 PM   #12
fulltiming

Leo, apparently many of the 80's Classics did use air leveling when parked so hopefully the information I provided will apply to your coach. Let us know what you find.

Gaz, I agree with Clarke, having a Newell in Australia should be interesting. I would think that the conversion to right hand drive would be somewhat less difficult than on a car since the accelerator and brake can be moved with less trouble.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 07-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #13
chockwald

Hi Mike...I was thinking of the work to move the instrument panel...the wiring, etc. Of course, for me, it all seems overwhelming.....I would never attempt it, but would hire someone to do it for me.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 07-08-2008, 01:06 AM   #14
fulltiming

Absolutely correct Clarke. It is not a trivial job under any circumstances. Rewiring the dash would NOT be any fun.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 10-21-2008, 03:02 PM   #15
ABnormal

Question Solenoid Replacement Parts

I just had a solenoid go bad on my 87. It is the one that controls the right side leveling while driving. Newell is telling my repairman that these are no longer in production. Does anyone have an idea where I might locate a replacement part?

Larry P.

Oops! Just got another call from the repairman. Newell called back and they have located a substitute that they believe will work. I suppose it would still be a good idea to know where to get proper replacements in case these don't work.
ABnormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:13 PM   #16
Richard and Rhonda

Larry,

I had to replace a few of these (hasn't everybody) and Newell supplied the solenoid that superseded the original. So maybe a call back to Newell with that question will yield something that will work.

If not, call HWH and see what they say.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:25 PM   #17
fulltiming

When I bought my coach, I had Newell replace ALL of the leveling solenoids as a precautionary measure. My only mess up was not asking them to leave me a few of the old ones that I could carry as spares in case I had one of the new ones fail. They are pretty pricey.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 10-22-2008, 01:30 AM   #18
HoosierDaddy

ABnormal,
If you have the square solenoids as opposed to the round solenoids that HWH uses I may have a source for you. Newell couldn't supply them but I found the co. that made them....different model number but they will work. I'm on the road 'til Fri but I can find the info when I get home if you need it.
Dean
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #19
ABnormal

Default Air Solenoids

Dean,

Thanks for the reply. Mine are the round ones and Newell believes they have located suitable replacements. The parts should arrive Miami tomorrow and they will then ship to me in KC. We'll know for sure early next week.

They also recommended replacing the mate, in the belief it will probably also go out soon. I told the mechanic to order an additional spare for a total of 3. The spare I will carry in the coach.

Thanks again.

Larry P.
ABnormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:45 PM   #20
KimnKim

Larry:

Also own an '87 and, from the sounds of it, I'm on borrowed time before my first solenoid failure. If your replacement parts do the job, please complete this thread with manufacturer and part number info.

Coach #186
1987 Wide Body - Transplanted Texas Longhorn, eh!
KimnKim is offline   Reply With Quote