Newell Coach Insurance Costs - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
MiracleJ

Default Newell Coach Insurance Costs

I am searching for opinion on insurance costs. When we purchased our Newell we had our policy written by Alstate insurance. (Allstate) had given me a insurance policy for about $750 with a $1,000 deductible.

We did $250,000/$500,000 Bodily Injury and $100,000 property damage.

It has Collision and Comprehensive limits of "Actual Cash Value".

my questions are

1) Should we go with an insurance policy from one of the RV groups stat specialize in motor homes
2) Do these limits sound about average
3) Does the premium sound right.
4) If our coach is totaled what determines the value for the insurance company ?. Will any insurance company use what I paid for our newell or will they use the market price of probably half that as the replacement value?

Thanks for any input,

MiracleJ
MiracleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
The Newell

I bought a policy from Our local farm bureau agent and underwritten by progressive and I had an 35,000K replacement value on our 1976 Newell. The cost was a little over 600 a year. I do not know if the location is a defining factor or not but You might check just out of curiosity.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:00 AM   #3
tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiracleJ View Post
I am searching for opinion on insurance costs. When we purchased our Newell we had our policy written by Alstate insurance. (Allstate) had given me a insurance policy for about $750 with a $1,000 deductible.

We did $250,000/$500,000 Bodily Injury and $100,000 property damage.

It has Collision and Comprehensive limits of "Actual Cash Value".

my questions are

1) Should we go with an insurance policy from one of the RV groups stat specialize in motor homes
2) Do these limits sound about average
3) Does the premium sound right.
4) If our coach is totaled what determines the value for the insurance company ?. Will any insurance company use what I paid for our newell or will they use the market price of probably half that as the replacement value?

Thanks for any input,

MiracleJ
MiracleJ,

I have my 1999 Newell insured with Allstate. I have the same limits that you have 250,500, & 100. My premium is $750 per year. I have been trying for 20 years to find out what the insurance company would pay if the coach was totaled; I still don't know.

When I ask my agent, they say it will be market value less depreciation (which translates into Tuga gets screwed)!

If you can get an answer from anybody please post it. I would love to hear how they arrive at fair market value. I know how I would do it but what really counts is how the insurance company will do it.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
prairieschooner

I noticed this years ago with our boat. The Insurance Companies are now selling what is called "Market Value". There is a "Stated Value" policy but that policy is more expensive and may have extra restrictions. I am no expert on this but I do know about it.
I am considering getting the "Stated Value" policies on my '55 T-Bird and '52 Pontiac Sedan Delivery this year.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
Newellin Thunder

My guess is that you stand a pretty good chance on getting screwed on the value of your coach when it comes time to settle after a wreck. Be sure that your policy covers actual replacement cost or value. You may have to have a "stated value" on your policy, otherwise they find some "comparable" coach and that's the value.

2005 Newell Thunder
Shakin the open road!
Newellin Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote