Tech Talk Archives 6 - Page 5 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Go Back   Luxury Coach Lifestyles > Forum Archives - closed > Archive Three
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Log in Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #81
Neweller

A
677 7/20/2002 12:07:14 PM 7/20/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Engine Horse Power Every 8V92 carries specification stickers on the valve covers. The horsepower of the particular engine will be indicated on one of these valve cover stickers. As we recall, the early 8V92s we installed (starting in 1984) were rated at 475 hp, and the power rating for the later 8V92 engines we used was 500 hp.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #82
Neweller

A
678 7/21/2002 1:00:54 PM 7/21/2002 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com 87 40' is there a way to shut off the engine coolant from going forward to the heaters etc On my '87, 40' Newell, the water valves are located on the driver side of the engine, just forward of the fan. The upper one is easy to see and has an arrow to show which way to turn it. The lower one is about 8" below it, but is a little harder to see because of the frame.

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 10-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #83
Neweller

A
679 7/21/2002 1:15:39 PM 7/21/2002 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com GVWR For a 1987 40' Newell with tag axle: GVWR; 45,200,
GAWR-Front 13,200, GAWR-Rear 22,OOO, Trail (tag) 10,000.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #84
Neweller

A
681 7/21/2002 1:47:56 PM 7/21/2002 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com Engine Horse Power My 1987 Newell has a 475 HP 8V92TA (turbo charged/supercharged/after cooled) non-DDEC Detroit Diesel engine. In the mid to late 80's, Detroit Diesel came out with DDEC (Detroit Diesel Electronic Control) that allowed an increase to 500HP and still meet EPA emission requirements. Newell Coach was the first (or close to it) to meet the cooling requirements of Detroit and install the engine in a motor coach. It is relatively simple to boost an 8V92TA Detroit Diesel to 525HP (goodbye warranty and emission compliance) and that may be what you have seen. Two cycle Diesel engines are fantastic for power to weight ratio's, but notorious for high exhaust emissions and thus have been relegated to marine and industrial use only.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #85
Neweller

A
682 7/22/2002 9:01:55 AM 7/22/2002 Alex Graham alex2839@charter.net Irregular Tire Wear - Cupping 1986 40' coach has new factory specified shocks on front and tires have been spin balanced and then balanced with the "Equal" system. There is no feeling of vibration in the steering at any speed. However, the tires are still "cupping"!
Any suqqestions???

-Bob Marley
Old 10-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #86
Neweller

Q
683 7/23/2002 12:26:10 PM 7/24/2002 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com Irregular Tire Wear - Cupping I experienced the same problem on my '79 and my '87. I took the '79 to the factory for alignment and they said everything was right on specs. I don't know the cause or solution, but I was able to significantly reduce it by switching to steer tires. I use Toyo steer tires, because they have a reinforced outer ring to reduce cupping. I tried to find Goodyear G78's steer tires, but they are a universal position tire and lack the reinforced ridge. I buy two front tires every few years and than move them to the rear as the outer edge begins to wear. I swear they ride better than drive tires, but can't prove it. I have close to 200,000 miles on my Newells, and have experienced only one flat (I discovered it in a rest area just before a 3 mile bridge). I carry a handheld non-contact thermometer to quick check my tires, among other things.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #87
Neweller

A
684 7/23/2002 5:58:05 PM 7/24/2002 Dick Quirk quirkrjiii@cs.com Overheating Reference my last comments: Just discovered that my radiator fins were badly clogged by congealed oil and dirt. It was invisible from the rear. Had to look rearward from inside the engine compartment. The engine had been steam cleaned three times over the past few years, but I don't think the oil was ever cleaned out. This time, a Chevy truck dealer worked on it for over three hours, mostly with a strong detergent engine flush, then followed by a stem cleaning to get the oil out. That dropped the engine temp by about 20 degrees.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #88
Neweller

A
685 7/24/2002 1:42:49 PM 7/25/2002 Don Koenig donkoenig@juno.com Irregular Tire Wear - Cupping Sounds like you have Bridgestone steering tires. You did not identify them. I moved cupped Bridgestones to the rear and one literally destroyed both of the drive tires on that side. I think I will try John's advice. Once a Bridgestone develops a cup they seem to wear funny from then on.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #89
Neweller

A
686 7/24/2002 1:49:42 PM 7/25/2002 Don Koenig donkoenig@juno.com 87 40' is there a way to shut off the engine coolant from going forward to the heaters etc On my 84 a valve is on the engine as John indicated. If that one is used the flow of engine coolant to the house water heater will be stopped. My 84 also has a valve in the ceiling of the belly compartment that should isloate at least the under dash heater. Isolating the under bed heater probable requires using the valve on the engine.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-24-2012, 07:22 AM   #90
Neweller

A
687 7/24/2002 2:00:41 PM 7/25/2002 Don Koenig donkoenig@juno.com Clearance Light Lens I tried to replace a broken red K-D-509 lens from a 84 coach. The local truck parts man thought that K-D had been purchased and was no longer in business under that name. He could find no source for a replacement red lens. He thought he could get amber lenses. Replacing just the broken lens seems is preferred to replacing several red lenses with amber ones or worse replacing entire assemblies
to keep red lights on the rear roof.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-24-2012, 07:22 AM   #91
Neweller

Q
688 7/24/2002 8:11:18 PM 7/25/2002 kscott6264 kscott6264@netscape.net 1978 Newell purchase WE are 3 months into our 80 Newell and consider ourselves blessed that we bought a Newell.
It's built like a "Tank" rides like a "Lincoln" and drives like a true bus. We have the 250 Cat engine, does well under all conditions, (as long as you let that turbo-charger breath a little) how fast does one want to run? We cruise at 65-68, top end 75. As long as we stay in the 60-70 range, no oil consumption.
Very minor repairs, it's just another house, always a light switch or something to tinker with.

Best of luck!

Kelly Scott

-Bob Marley
Old 10-24-2012, 07:22 AM   #92
Neweller

A
689 7/24/2002 8:29:05 PM 7/25/2002 kscott6264 kscott6264@netscape.net Any other Newell Coaches in San Antonio? Will be in SAT September the 11th at the shooting complex, to compete in the "Nationals Sporting Clays" event. Drop by some evening, or come watch the event?

Kelly Scott

-Bob Marley
Old 10-24-2012, 07:22 AM   #93
Neweller

A
690 7/24/2002 9:26:52 PM 7/25/2002 kscott6264 kscott6264@netscape.net battery merge Where are these solenoids located? I think I should replace mine, as I have no idea when thy were last replaced?

Kelly Scott

-Bob Marley
Old 10-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #94
Neweller

A
691 7/25/2002 7:13:11 AM 7/25/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Clearance Light Lens We have the red K-D 509 lens in stock at Newell. The Newell part number is NC-11203. Call 1-888-3NEWELL (1-888-363-9355) and ask for parts.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #95
Neweller

A
692 7/25/2002 7:16:40 AM 7/25/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com battery merge The battery merge solonoid is located at the electrical panel at the right (curb) rear of the coach. The panel is two sided, and components can be accessed either through the exterior door near the tail lights, or from inside the engine compartment, through the curb side engine compartment door.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #96
Neweller

A
694 7/25/2002 9:42:49 AM 7/25/2002 Raul Cortez raulcortez@aol.com Hydraulic Temp Light We are on a road trip to Tiger Run Resort. During the mountain climbing, our coach Hydraulic Temp light on the dash came on? It stayed on around ten minutes then turned off. About twenty minutes later, it came back on for about 10 minutes. We made it to our destination without any problems. What caused this Hydraulic Temp light to come on, and what can be done to prevent it? Our coach is a 1995, #401 with a Series 60.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #97
Neweller

Q
695 7/25/2002 9:52:47 AM 7/25/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Hydraulic Temp Light We installed the hydraulic fluid high temp warning light on the early Series 60 engines. (Series 60-powered coaches have a high capacity hydraulic pump which powers both the radiator fan and the power steering). We discovered two things over the next few months: 1) the light would come on occasionally, most often in hot weather driving, and 2) no damage occurred, so the threshold was set too low and the risk wasn't there. We deleted the warning light after a year or so, and have not experienced high temp problems with this hydraulic system.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #98
Neweller

A
696 7/25/2002 6:58:54 PM 7/26/2002 Peter A Russo Jr kd2el@att.net Transmissions 4,5,6 speeds? I would like to know the differences between the transmissions. 4 speed versis 5 speed versis 6 speed. Do the 5 and 6 speed units have an addtional overdrive or closer spacing. It looks to me like even some newer Newells have only 4 speed tranmissions. Are more speeds better. Blue Birds seem to have gone to 5 than 6 sooner?
Also want to thank John Clark for his answers to my other questions. I read through most of this and found it very informative.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #99
Neweller

Q
697 7/25/2002 7:03:26 PM 7/26/2002 Peter A Russo Jr kd2el@att.net Airbags How Many is Enough? I have been comparing Newell and Blue Birds in the adds. It looks to me that Blue Bird uses a 10 airbag chassie. I saw an add for a Newell that advertised the Newell 12 airbag chassie? Do Newells' have 12 and if so why is it better? I realise that both companies build their coaches from the ground up to be motor home coaches as apposed to Prevose or MCI or other which are conversions later.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-24-2012, 07:24 AM   #100
Neweller

Q
699 7/26/2002 1:49:46 AM 7/26/2002 Brion Johnston NMBJohnston@aol.com charging coach and engine batteries I know both battery banks can be recharged by the alternator or when it is plugged in at a campsite, etc. Can the generator also recharge them while it is running? If not, is it possible or would it be practical to do this? I have a 1979 Newell.

-Bob Marley