110 Volt air compressor - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
rheavn

Default 110 Volt air compressor

My coach is equipped with a Jun-Air, model 600 air compressor. It pumps air, but shuts off at 90 psi. I believe it should shut off at 120 psi, which would cause it to run less often. Does any one know a source for the same pump or rebuild kit. I'm asking prior to calling Newell.

Hope every one has a wonderful Thanksgiving....................

Old 11-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #2
prairieschooner

The Compressor itself should still be in good condition and not need to replaced simply because it shuts off at 90 psi. There is an Air Pressure Switch in the system and this is what would shut the compressor down at a set upper pressure and start it a set lower pressure.
This should look like a gray box about 3" square just down the pressure side of the compressor and it will have wires coming from it. I would suggest Grainger for a replacement if needed;
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/start.shtml

You may be able to simply reset the pressure by adjusting this Switch but be careful to not raise the pressure more than the system allows

1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
Ron Skeen

The 110 compressor usally has a 20 psi different between when it cut in and cut out. Mine come on at 70 and off at 90. If you move it up to 120 it problaby will run more because if it run through the dryer it will purge for 10 psi like it dose when the engine air run. Normally if the compressor is coming on often you need to hunt for air leaks. Have a great day

Ron
1996 Newell 45' #422
2004 Newell 45'8" #689
60 Series Detriot
Yellow Dodge Truck
Ron Skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
batpilot7300

my compressor also comes on at 70psi and off at90psi, I was going to have the pressure raised when I was at the factory last month but was advised against it, it was coming on about every 30 minutes, we went through and repaired all the leaks we could find and now it cycles about every hour and forty five minutes, the factory standard is 45 minutes for new coaches, I replaced the compressor about 6 months ago, bought it from Granger, about $600.00 if I remember
98DS45L #476
Granbury TX
batpilot7300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
encantotom

i also have the jun-air model 600. mine has an hour meter on it and has 1100 hours on it. i checked with the tech rep at jun-air (which was bought by gast) and he said 10,000 hour life on the compressor.

mine makes alot more noise than the gast in my 1990. i was thining about rebuilding it but the kits are almost 300 bucks. pricey.

newell puts thomas pumps in them now.

another strange thing is that my jun-air compressor is on the same 20a circuit that my front tv and AV gear is on as well as the mid-bath. it is all on the inverter.

so, the model 600 draws relatively low current at start up and the newer ones draw considerably more which has me concerned about causing problems for the AV/TV gear.

is that the way your guy's is wired as well?

and steve, did you find a rebuild kit or do anything to your compressor?

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:49 PM   #6
rheavn

Tom,
After talking with other Newell owners, it was their opinions that mine was working normally. I solved my air compressor and air problems when I stopped the air leaks.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:53 AM   #7
tuga

I have bad air leaks in my leveling solenoids in the front of the coach. If I turn off the engine - 4 hours later the front will lean to the right and then to the left and eventually it will sink down to the axle.

However, if I raise the coach using the 4 arrows up feature on the HWH leveling control unit it will stay up for weeks and weeks! All of the air in the supply side bleeds down but the coach will not sink down 1 inch!

Go figure! Can anyone explain this to me?
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:55 AM   #8
Wally Arntzen

When I got my coach I had many leaks and the pump ran most of time. I agree that stopping the leaks is the only way to have the pump run less. After replacing every check valve, three air tanks with leaky welds, all air switches and other items my air compressor comes on about 2 times in 24 hours while living in it full time and using the air operated toilet. I don't buy this stuff of a pump being acceptable running every 30 minutes. If someone is saying this they just don't want to take on the chalenge of tracking down the leaks and correcting the problem.
Thats my position and i'm sticking with it.

Wally

FIX THE LEAKS

1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote