Turned Ignition Key Nothing Happened - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
Ron in South Dakota

Default Turned Ignition Key Nothing Happened

Need advice or best case guesses of problem. Turned the ignition key on and nothing, not even dash lights or gauges moving. Powered on generator without a problem, but even with that on nothing happened.

So what am I facing, dead battery, or worse?

Ron
Old 03-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
cdat

Battery switches on, in neutral?

cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
Neweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdat View Post
Battery switches on, in neutral?
We all have probably done this. If my coach had been sitting for a while and I wanted to start it, I have on a couple occasions forgot to double check if I was in neutral and found that to be my problem.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
Vantare

Although I don't own a Newell I am lending my knowledge. First check to see if the main battery disconnect switch is open, if that is not the issue I would check the starting batteries voltages and charge accordingly.

You may well have a simple problem, if the disconnect is open, No start. Batteries dead, no start.

I am leaning toward the disconnect switch

Cannondale Slice 5 Bike

2006 Prevost Vantare’ Double Slide

Steve & Annie
Vantare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:52 PM   #5
Newell Attack

Some times it can be something as simple as one of the battery connections is not making contact, or one of the fuses on the solenoids has a dirty contact. A volt meter, or a 12 volt tester, plus a lot of patience or luck will help you tract that down. But try testing the batteries first, if not voltage

Jeff & Leann Shackly
Newell Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:12 AM   #6
77newell

Assuming that when you turn the key to ON prior to START the gauges power up then you have at least some battery power. If when you then turn the the key to START absolutely nothing happens then there is an open somewhere in the start circuit. On my 77 coach there is a switch in the rear electrical compartment that by-passes the transmission neutral switch. There have been times when I just couldn't get the starter to engage despite jiggling the gear shifter around. I then go to the electrical cabinet in the rear and engage the starter switch located there and it starts. In my case the neutral switch is just not working as designed in those circumstances. The rear start switch is any easy check on the neutral safety switch. You need to make really sure you have the shifter in neutral and the parking brakes are engaged if you use the rear switch or you could end up chasing your coach down on foot. As far as I know the neutral safety switch is the only switch in the start circuit downstream of the key.

If this above doesn't produce the desired outcome then you need to check the voltage on the terminals of the start solenoid in the rear electrical compartment and if that is operating (you should hear it click as the key is moved to START) OK you will then need to check the solenoid on the starter itself.

If when you turn the key to ON you see no response from the gauges then you have a problem with either the key switch or the power supply to the the key which could originate as far back as the batteries.
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
folivier

Good idea Jon. I've also heard that if this switch is in the wrong position that the engine won't start from the front ignition switch?
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
Ron in South Dakota

Thanks guy's ; all good suggestions. I'll go back out later today and check a few items. As far as I'm aware; I only have one battery disconnect correct?

Ron SD
Old 03-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
folivier

You should have 2. One for engine and another for coach batteries. There also should be a merge switch, switch that on and it gives you both sets of batteries to start your coach.

1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote