House batteries overcharged - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
smagown

Default House batteries overcharged

My coach had an Outback inverter/charger installed in 2008 along with 6 8D Cat batteries by Newell shortly before my purchase in 3/08. My starting batteries were Lifeline AGM's (made by Concorde in the US of A. They were discharging after sitting up with shore power on and sometimes I had to merge with the house batteries to crank up. Being the apprentice rocket scientist I am, I figured if I left the merge switch on, the 100 amp charger with the temp sensor on the side of one 8D Cat in the house battery bank, would charge my starting batteries back up and then cut off.

WRONG! Turns out the starting batteries were too far gone and the charger kept charging without turning off and I ruined all six house batteries. They were sealed so they distorted as they overheated and some cracked and none would hold a charge.

Solution:

Mark at Centex batteries in Bastrop, Texas (outside Austin) sold me six 8D Lifeline AGM's for $497 + freight ($35 each). He is a master dealer and can ship out of any Concorde warehouse. 877308-9002 if you need to call.

Thanks,

97 #458 w/3 roof airs, 07 997 GT3, 62 Vette,67 SS427 Chevelle, 02 Boxter, 74 GMC mtr hm, 88 Mastercraft 190 Prostar, 86 Ski Nautique 2000, 02 Baja Islander 212
smagown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:18 AM   #2
prairieschooner

Steve,
Check the Charge Rate Setting on the Outback. There is a different setting for Sealed Lead Acid and AGM Batteries. I would also check the Outback to ensure that it is shutting down the Charging as designed. The Outback is a great Inverter/ Charger.

1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:26 AM   #3
smagown

Steve:
The Outback appears fine, is set for AGM, I just left the batteries merged for days. I don't know why it didn't shut off when the batteries got hot though. I think I'll test the stick-on sensor with a pan of warm water and see when it kicks off.
Thanks
97 #458 w/3 roof airs, 07 997 GT3, 62 Vette,67 SS427 Chevelle, 02 Boxter, 74 GMC mtr hm, 88 Mastercraft 190 Prostar, 86 Ski Nautique 2000, 02 Baja Islander 212
Old 03-16-2010, 01:56 AM   #4
fulltiming

I have used the Trik-L-Start for years with great results. It steals a little charge out of your house batteries to keep the chassis batteries charged IF the house batteries are being charged. It is a very low rate (5 amps) of charge so it would be doubtful it would be capable of cooking the chassis batteries and will shut off if the voltage of the house batteries gets below a 13+ voltage.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
Richard and Rhonda

Thanks for the info on the Lifeline dealer. I need six soon. The PO put regular cranking batteries in for house batteries. They will keep the frig running for about a day, and that's it. No big deal since we don't boonie that often right now, but that will change in the future.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
prairieschooner

We are a lot less high tech here. I have Flooded Wet Acid Batteries all around. My House are Trojan T105 (Golf Cart) and the Engine Start are a generic 8D (Starting Lead Acid). I always shut the Start Batteries off whenever we get anywhere. While in Storage I shut off the Start and House Batteries.
We use the HEART Inverter/Charger for the Charging and try to keep it turned off most of the time while we use the Coach just to Cycle the Batteries and let the Solar Panels do some work, more effort but I feel it is worth it. I just checked the Battery Levels the other day and all are fine even after a year of service.
AGM Batteries are great but they are more $$$ and I am not sure it is worth the expense for me since I am willing to work a little harder taking care of my DC Electrical System. I am still "Old School" when it comes to some things and since it works for me..
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
smagown

Guys:
I bought the Trik-L-Sart after the fact but haven't used it because I don't have house current voltage for it to draw off of yet. My batteries should be here Thursday. I got them after Michael recommended them.
This is my first all electric coach and I was used to propane heat and water heater, two way refrigerator etc. I dry camp at 'Dega & Texas Cup races so this took some getting used too. I never had to run my generator in previous coaches like I have to in my Newell. I was worried about the hours on the generator & Cressly said just let it run. Then I saw a couple of the Nascar coaches come through Newell with 22k hours on the gen set and they ran fine.
I just had to immerse myself in the new culture and I'm fine now.
I had vented 8D's and Trojan's in my last pusher and I stayed on top of my water levels so I had no problems at all.

I was sick when I realized I did this to myself. I assumed the charge function would shut off. As usual, most of my learning has been through my wallet!!
Thanks,
Old 03-17-2010, 12:25 AM   #8
encantotom

hi gang, i have been relatively silent since i have been in asia the last two weeks. am finishing up and will be leaving shanghai thursday to come home. i have tried to find a manufacturer of LED dome lights for the bays and may have some good choices.

i use the Trik l start after michael recommended it as well.

i use regular interstate 8D's for the starting side and interstate AGM for the house side. btw, i paid 400 dollars each last year for the AGM's. that was from a local interstate dealer.

i saw steve's batteries after they expanded and they looked like rectangular balloons.

later

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:04 AM   #9
smagown

Tom:
My local Interstate dealer says they can't get 8D AGM's anymore, that's why I went with the Lifelines.
Have a safe trip home.
Thanks,
Old 03-17-2010, 05:45 AM   #10
encantotom

steve, you should have just drive to az. the price difference would have paid for the trip......

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote