fresh water tank flushing - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2012, 02:54 AM   #1
Jon ghiles

Default fresh water tank flushing

I am wanting to find out if there is anything other then a bleach solution to flush our fresh water tank?

Jon Ghiles
Jon ghiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:21 AM   #2
GringoPhil

Hydrogen Peroxide also works fine, but you have to use a much stronger concentration than with bleach.

If you can get food grade peroxide (35% instead of the typical 3% found in drug stores), it can make an effective sanitizer. The advantage is there is no taste to peroxide like there is in chlorine based bleaches
Old 11-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
prairieschooner

I like what the Gringo has to say but..I have always used a small amount of bleach to sanitize the tank. I drain the tank, refill, then drain again, now refill with the bleach solution, then drain again. *We use Arrowhead Drinking Water so it isn't real important if there is a chlorine taste to the water. We started doing this after our dogs got ill when on the road and as long as we were using that for them......
Here is a link that I found;
RV Tech Library - Sanitizing Your Fresh Water System
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
The Newell

The sanitizing bleach load is 3/4ths cup of 5-6% sodium hypochlorite in 40 gallons of water. If you completely drain the sanitizing load and completely refill the tank and plumbing with fresh water, that taste should be minimal . No after-treatment with chemistry in action needed.

The trick is in draining the plumbing. After sanitizing I open the drains on the supply tank and on the accumulator and hot water tanks and drain them all. I turn on all faucets to allow them to bank drain.

On the refill, I fill the supply tank, and then turn on the pump and open the hot water faucets to and allow the hot water tanks to fill and then the cold faucets to purge that plumbing. I then back fill the supply tank.

By then the only chlorine you are going to taste is the chlorine put in by the water department.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
Raymond N Priscilla Miller

It's a good thing to sanitize and flush out your tanks, we sanitize our system with a mild bleach solution every six months. If you store your coach then it's not a bad idea to sanitize in case of any algae growth every time you bring it out of storage this will also help dissipate any smells or taste.