Shore Power Question - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
Gary&Terry

Default Shore Power Question

Ok Coach is on Shore Power, when I turn the ignition on to move my slides I lose the power supply to the front TV but not the TV in the bedroom.

So Here are my Questions

A) Why Does this Happen?

B) When or what should I do with Shore power, if Starting coach, or starting generator?

Gary

Gary & Terry Morgan

Any RVing action is good action!

Deerfield Beach,FL
Gary&Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
77newell

Government regulations require that operating TV's not be visible from the driver's seat so many vehicles have an interlock to shut off the front TV when the ignition is on.

I start my 77 coach all the time while on shore power and then use the air pressure build-up time to disconnect the shore power and make a final walk-around. I wait to the last to disconnect shore power since my coach was built before anyone thought to put inverters in coaches and my wife likes to make a cup of tea just before we leave.

Those that have newer coaches (remember mine was made before automation) can tell you what happens when both shore power and the generator are running but I would guess most transfer switches are designed to stay on shore power as long as it is available. In that case starting the gen while on shore power will leave nothing for the gen to do but warm its insides.

everything I know just ain't so

2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
The Newell

77Newell is correct. Coaches are wired so the front TV goes off when the ignition is turned on. This is for safety reasons. 2nd Shore power, I've always disconnected the shore power prior to starting the generator, or turning on the inverter. I'm not sure it's necessary, but just decided I wasn't taking chances.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
chockwald

I used to start the coach and then unplug, but after I almost started to move before unplugging, I do it before I start the coach now. Our '82 does not have an ignition cutoff for any of our electrical outlets, but no one here watches TV while in motion......what a waste of time when there is so much to see....now if you drive at night all the time, then that would be another matter....the passengers might like the TV on to pass the time.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote