Auxiliary Toad Brakes - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
greatriver

Default Auxiliary Toad Brakes

Hi Folks:

In my quest to learn as much as possible before we purchase our Newell another question has popped up. I looked through the threads but didn't see it addressed so here goes.

Most of you seem to have some type of auxiliary brake system for your toad (towed). I brought this up when we were at the factory in Miami this spring and were told that it wasn't necessary. Now I'm sure the weight of the vehicle and the the age of the coach plays a role but I would like to have your thoughts.

Larry

Old 08-23-2009, 10:10 PM   #2
tuga

Hi Larry,

I pull a Honda Pilot behind my Newell, and I have never felt that I needed brakes on the toad. I have had to stop sometimes pretty quick (my wife can attest to that fact) and I never have any problems. I will say that the brakes on this Newell (my third one) work much better than on my '93 and '87. I think that the difference is the disk brakes on the front & tag axles. This baby stops! One time my step daughter was in the rear bathroom sitting in a chair putting on her make-up and I slammed on the brakes. She was thrown foward - out of the chair - onto the floor! She came to the front of the coach and was laughing her head off! When we talk about how well the coach stops, we always tell that story!

From a legal standpoint, I think all 50 states require auxillary brake systems on towed vehicles. You can check in the January issue of FMCA magazine. However, I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for not having a brake system. But, if you are involved in an accident not having a brake system on your toad might become an issue.

It's up to you!

Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
afrench45

I pull a Hummer H2 behind my coach and I can never feel it. However I did my a Roadmaster break system because when you stop, all the weight of your vehicle pushes up against your towbar. Ive had my towbar for 5 years, and due to that fact that I didn't use a brake system, it is now worn out. Another reason, on a trip home from Newell, one of my pins fell out. I was lucky no damage was done, and I didn't hurt anybody. For around $1000, I felt it was a good investment to satisfy the law, and for my own safety.
afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:37 PM   #4
zcasa

I've heard it said that nobody except plaintiff's counsel will ever know if you used a supplemental braking system. In this lawsuit happy country, I will use a supplemental braking system at all times.
zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:41 AM   #5
encantotom

i use the M&G system with mine. i have driven it without hooking it up and i am not sure i could tell any difference, but it is required in most states and it was comforting to know i had it coming down a 11000 foot pass at a zillion percent grade.

to each his own....

i do have to think larry has it right in that the weight of the car is on the tow bar pushing forward. however, i guess you could say it pulls on the tow bar perhaps as much as pushing....i dont know.

doesnt matter because i have it.

i picked one that was always there and just needs to be plugged in each time. no box sitting on the floor and nothing pushing on the brake pedal.

later

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:09 PM   #6
greatriver

My take from what I'm reading is that Newell coaches can handle a tow without aux. brakes very well but to err on the side of caution they are a good idea. Tuga's comments indicated that panic stops are certainly no problem without aux brakes.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:16 PM   #7
encantotom

i dont know how the performance of the disc vs drum brakes is on our rigs. i would like to believe the disc's are better but have nothing to back that up. my rig only has drum brakes.....

tom

Old 08-24-2009, 06:29 PM   #8
chockwald

My camper only has drum brakes, too. They stop pretty good, though!!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:58 PM   #9
tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrench45 View Post
I pull a Hummer H2 behind my coach and I can never feel it. However I did my a Roadmaster break system because when you stop, all the weight of your vehicle pushes up against your towbar. Ive had my towbar for 5 years, and due to that fact that I didn't use a brake system, it is now worn out. Another reason, on a trip home from Newell, one of my pins fell out. I was lucky no damage was done, and I didn't hurt anybody. For around $1000, I felt it was a good investment to satisfy the law, and for my own safety.
Reading about a pin falling out reminds me of what happened to a buddy of mine.

A friend of mine stopped at a truck stop for lunch and when he walked back to his MH he jumped in and drove off. About a mile down the road he noticed the tow vehicle was weaving right and left and when he applied the brakes it slams into the rear of the coach. Someone at the truck stop had REMOVED HIS PINS! Just to be mean I guess! He had over $30,000 worth of damage to his Prevost! And 2 of his pins were gone!

It's always a good idea to do a walk around and visually inspect everything before you drive off: tires, tow bar & pins, awning latches, etc.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:16 PM   #10
fulltiming

I have replaced the pins on my RoadMaster with padlocks to avoid such 'incidents'. It take a few seconds longer to unhook but I avoid accidental or intentional pin loss.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:38 PM   #11
Wally Arntzen

I tow a jeep liberty behind my 88 coach and can really tell the difference when I do not have my brakes hooked up. I use the roadmaster with the hookup to the brake pedal and it works great. I would not feel safe driving in the mountains without it. I love driving in the mountains but I would not like all the weight of the jeep pushing on that hitch on the down side of a steep hill on a regular basis.
Even if the brakes are spectacular on the coach the more wheels braking the better.
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:14 PM   #12
Mike0416

I agree with everthing that's been said. A Newell does not need aux brakes to stop. HOWEVER, it is required in Canada and they have been known to ticket rigs without them. Also, in the rare case where the toad breaks loose, you (and a lot of people around you) will be mighty happy if you have an aux system. I have the M&G system with the brake-away feature. Well worth the investment.
Mike0416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:47 PM   #13
fulltiming

I really like the M&G system. There are some cars that cannot be fitted with that system due to space limitations. Unfortunately, my PT Cruiser is one of them.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 12-09-2009, 09:54 PM   #14
afrench45

;I have replaced everything on my RoadMaster tow bar. However I was recently talking to a friend who pulls a Hummer as well and the arm broke on his tow bar that is just like mine. The Hummer started swerving and caused some body damage to his Essex. After seeing his coach and the tow bar, yesterday I went and bought a RoadMaster BlackHawk 2 All Terrain. It is rated 10000 lbs so it should pull the Hummer no problem. Well now I feel better about my towbar, im just out $900 ....
Old 12-10-2009, 05:05 AM   #15
Wally Arntzen

Congratulations on the new tow bar, but did you complete the deal and get the brake system with it. If not, I would not even think about towing a Hummer without its own brake system.
Good luck my friend, thats my two cents worth and I'm sticking with it.
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #16
afrench45

I have a RoadMaster 9700 portable brake system. Before, I thought a brake system was unnecessary, but now I believe that is why my old tow bar was warn out.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #17
prairieschooner

Tom,
I am thinking of the M&G Braking System. Since you are a do-it-yourselfer did you install the M&G System or have it done?
I am also curious if anything keeps air in the Coaches Air System?
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #18
encantotom

hi steve,

when i was just finishing the remodel on our coach and getting ready to head out on a 2 month trip we bought a new honda crv to tow. so i just didnt have the time to install it myself.

so, i really didnt pay much attention to how they installed it. i believe a quck call to m&g would answer all your questions though.

it is extremely easy to use.

sorry,

tom

Old 01-10-2010, 09:04 PM   #19
fulltiming

Per the M&G website:

Quote:
What if the air line develops a leak?
Air will only be present or leak while the coach brake pedal is applied. The 1/4" OD air line will not loose enough air pressure to affect the brakes on coach. The compressor puts in much more air than what is lost.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 01-10-2010, 09:54 PM   #20
folivier

Is anybody using the Ready Brake? Seems like a neat idea. I'm thinking of getting one for the Liberty.

1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote