New to This Forum and Looking for DP to Go Full-Timing. - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2014, 09:39 PM   #1
L&JSteinmetz

Default New to This Forum and Looking for DP to Go Full-Timing.

Hello,

After 32 years of active service (prior Navy; retired Coast Guard in 2008) I am close to winding down my Coast Guard civilian career and hope to retire for good in 2018. Our current plan is to sell our house early (late 2015/early 2016) and to purchase the coach we intend to go full-timing in and live in it until I retire. We have been members of Escapees since 2004 and had always thought that we would buy a Volvo and a fifth wheel (we always wanted a new Teton but, with them out of business, have become very interested in New Horizons and Continentals).

Over the past year something has changed (can't really put our fingers on it) and we have become more interested in a diesel pusher than in a fiver. We have looked at several 2014 Newmar & Entegra coaches and like them. Through the weeks and months of research we have slowly come around to the idea of buying a very nice used DP rather than new so that we can get more bang for our buck and to enter full-timing with something that is not going to be losing 10's of thousands of dollars in depreciation our first few years out.

For the past 5-6 months I have been exploring and researching as much as I can on Country Coaches and Foretravels. Today I met a Foretravel owner that said if he were looking at a DP in the year range we are (probably 2002-2008 give or take) he would take a closer look at a Newell rather than a Foretravel. Sooo, now my focus moves to finding out as much as I can about Newells in that year range (read price range).

We will not be purchasing anything until probably Fall of 2015 so I have time to compare and contrast the different brands we are considering. Guess I need to settle in and start reading what appears to be a ton of information on this forum. One thing in particular I will be trying to find is a thread or blog somewhere that lists features/specs for different model years of Newells so that I can find out when different features were introduced, when engine sizes changed (I am looking for 600+ HP), etc.

I look forward to the next chapter in my luxury coach research.

Regards,

Larry and Jan Steinmetz
Friendswood, TX

Ex-Navy / Retired Coast Guard CWO w/ 34 Years Total Service.

Goals: 2016 - Sell our house and begin full-timing. 2018 - Retire for good from my job and hit the road.
L&JSteinmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:56 AM   #2
fulltiming

Larry, prior to 2005 most Newells used 500 HP engines. Mid to late 2005 began the major change from 500HP Detroit Diesel Series 60's to 625 HP Cat C-15's. Coaches in the early production of the 2005 models still had the 500 HP Detroits. Later in the model year, 525 HP C-13's and some 625 HP C-15's appeared. The 2006 models were also a mixture with the later production being almost all Cat C-15's. From 2007-2010 virtually all Newells were equipped with 625 HP C-15's. At the end of 2010 Newell used a Cummins ISX 650 HP engine on at least one coach. In 2011 models some had the Cat and some had the Cummins. Coach 1414, a 2011, may have been the last Newell with a Cat engine. Since then Cummins ISX engines have been used.

During the period that has had 600+ HP engines, all Newells have had ZF suspensions with the steerable tag axle. Transmissions are either ZF 10 or 12 speed automatics or the Allison 6 speed transmission. Only a few 600+ engines were put into the 2000i body style coaches. Most of the coaches built after the introduction of the P2000i body style during the 2006 model year, around coach 776, 600+ HP engines were typical. Most P2000i models have been built with front entries, although some mid-entry models were built each year. All utilized Bode Air Operated entry doors. During this time period all Newells used the Valid electric operated slides.

Most Newells since 2006 have been 4 slide although some 3 slide model were built and a few with less than 3 slides. Most were 45' although a few shorter than 45' were built and some 46' and 47' models were built. Beginning with coach 1230, in 2008, Newell upgraded front and tag tires from 315/80R22.5 to Michelin 365/70R22.5. Many prior Newells back to 1997 can be retrofitted with the larger front tires.

In 2010 with coach 1293, Newell changed from a multi-wire Spyder Control system for interior lights, drapes, etc to a multiplex single wire system. During the 2012 model year Newell added EasiSteer electric power steering assist to their coaches. In 2013 Newell added StabilRide active suspension. Late in the 2013 model year, Newell introduced the 2020P body style.

Since each Newell is custom built. Each coach will be somewhat unique.

Hope that helps.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:29 PM   #3
L&JSteinmetz

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the very helpful and informative post. I will file this away for future reference so that it is handy while I research different years and coaches. Also, thanks for the comment on Newells being custom built..makes sense that with the custom nature of these coaches that each one would have to be evaluated separately to see if it had the features/layout that we are looking for.

Goals: 2016 - Sell our house and begin full-timing. 2018 - Retire for good from my job and hit the road.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:34 PM   #4
hlfdzn

Hello Larry,

I pm'd you

Paul
'93 45' #320
Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
hlfdzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #5
NewellCrazy

Welcome Larry, To our wonderful world of Luxury Coach ownership!!!! Glad you joined and ask away any questions you might have.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
L&JSteinmetz

Thank you Sean...our research continues almost on a daily basis!