Stowaways - the Invasion of Critters - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
GSrdr

Default Stowaways - the Invasion of Critters

What is your experience with critters coming into the coach from below? Is it a concern? How do you prevent invasion along the sewer, power and water lines? What about nesting critters when your Newell is parked?

GSrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
prairieschooner

While we at Golden Village Palms RV Resort in Hemet during the summer we were overrun with ants. We had the dogs food and water out and maybe that is what attracted them. Real bummer! luckily I had the shop vac with us and I went to work at 3:00 AM to get them out. I used Salt and put up a barrier by having an unbroken trail around the coach. Now I use a powder just for that purpose but the Salt worked just fine. The critters will also come up the Hose and Power Cord so I will protect them as well if I get concerned.

1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
ABnormal

Default Ants

Ants will not cross Ajax Powder.

I found the remains of an acorn last week in the compartment adjacent to the fuel tanks. Apparently something came in thru the fuel compartment and simply crawled over the top of the dividing wall. It is not flush with the floor of the coach. I would put some moth balls in there, but am not certain if they would stink up the coach.

I also found a wad of chewed paper towels in the compartment behind the rear tires last spring. Not certain what kind of critter that might have been. We have had voles get into both passenger vans and had to have the remains extracted from the air conditioning blower. Probably the same culprit caused the paper towel nest.

Good luck.

Larry P.
ABnormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
prairieschooner

Same as the Salt must do something to their little sniffers.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
Brad Townsend

We found that an open dish of white vinegar on the counter top will keep ants out. I guess that the fumes escape where they come in. Also Karen will regularly spray down the counters and clean the toilet with vinegar. We also will use the vinegar and baking soda to clean the toilet innards and the garbage disposal sink drains and shower drains. The pressure caused form the mix and the expansion does a few things cleans pushes and gets up under the garbage disposal area. Shower drains unlike tubs don't see pressure when drained so stuff can slowly add up and the vinegar/baking soda mix works quite well.

Brad
1988 40 ft 8v92 TA
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser,1990 Jeep Cherokee 4/WD now a desert rat
25 ft Haulmark trailer
730 watt solar panels, Full timing.
Brad Townsend is offline   Reply With Quote