On My Way - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2009, 04:49 AM   #1
chockwald

Default On My Way

Left Ontario at around 2:30pm, and arrived Las Vegas, NV around 7:30pm...staying at the Circus-Circus KOA right on the strip. They have about a dozen Airstream trailers here for rent....pretty cool. I'm pulling a 29' car trailer with our 2002 T-Bird, and Cannondale bikes...took them a while to find a pull through long enough for my 65' rig, and I barely fit.

The drive was uneventful, for which I am extremely grateful! This is my first time pulling something this heavy, and long with the Newell. I pulled El Cajon pass around 45-50mph. The Prodigy brake controller has worked flawlessly. Elaine will be done with her week long company meeting tomorrow morning (she's been here since Monday), and we'll head south to Kingman, AZ and pick up I-40 and head east to Miami, OK. Weather is nice and cool, which is great for the 6V92!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DIGI0119.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	134   Click image for larger version

Name:	DIGI0117.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	135  

2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
prarieschooner

Glad to hear that the 1st leg of the trip was uneventful! How does the Coach handle that long, long, long trailer? The 'bird looks good behind the bikes.
I will check my notes later today to identify the wire color for the brake signal.

prarieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:15 AM   #3
chockwald

Arrived in Kingman, AZ around 4pm and checked in at Zuni RV Park.....BBQ'd some New York steaks....sitting here listening to a little Frank Sinatra on XM radio's "High Standards" whilst composing this update....I was concerned with pulling the big trailer with all the extra weight, but the 6V92 pulls like a champ up the 6% grades. Picture was taken at Zuni RV Park in Kingman, AZ. This is the market we got the New Yorks at. Got a longer day tomorrow...we'll head to Gallup, NM...about 350 miles.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DIGI0127.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	139   Click image for larger version

Name:	DIGI0123.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	140  
Old 04-11-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
Richard and Rhonda

Glad the trip is good so far, keep the post coming.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:26 AM   #5
chockwald

Left Kingman, AZ in a driving rain storm and began a steady climb in elevation to 7300 feet where the rain turned to snow! Wow..that was the last thing I was expecting today. We had snow from just before Williams, AZ to just past Flagstaff, AZ, and then rain again until about 50 miles west of Gallup. We are in Gallup, NM tonight at the USA RV park off exit 16...very nice park that can handle long rigs like mine. A totally uneventful day....just like I like them.....had the front chassis heater on full bast for a while...it was around 30 degrees for a 100 miles. Turned on the chassis heater for the tankage, and it kept the tankage at a comfortable 50 degrees. We'll aim for Tucumcar, NM tomorrow....just before the Texas border. Got several thumbs up from other coaches passing, and a big air horn honk from a Prevost. Every time we stop people to up to ask about the Newell. Trying to keep daily mileage at just over 300....did 338 today. I'll try to post pictures, but I have a very slow connection, so we'll see!

Here is a link to a YouTube video I made of our trip today:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DIGI0139.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	136   Click image for larger version

Name:	DIGI0147.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	137   Click image for larger version

Name:	DIGI0131.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	138  
Old 04-12-2009, 03:10 AM   #6
prestadude

What a fun video. Probably not going to reach viral status, but it sure is interesting to RV folks. Keep up the good work and do post some videos from the mini rally for those of us unable to attend.
prestadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:43 AM   #7
RoyG

Pretty neat in deed. Looking forward to a like experience someday. Hopefully the Newell shopping pans out. Let us know what you find at the Newell factory. Like the video too. Its got my wife a little more excited.
RoyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #8
chockwald

Hey guys...thanks for the comments. Will definitely do a video of the mini-rally with shots of all 15 coaches. We'll be leaving Gallup in about 2 hours....it's 7:30am, and 38 degrees. Glad I have the basement heating for the tankage area, because it got down into the 20's last night.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 04-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #9
zcasa

Clarke,

How fun. Loved it. Can't wait to get on the road as well. We leave Denver, CO probably Wednesday. Getting a few water drips worked out with Michael's help. Safe travels today. We visited the Factory a couple of years back. Very interesting. Toured a dozen or more slightly preowned coaches and several in various stages of production. Fascinating.

David and Denise
zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:51 PM   #10
encantotom

fun to see the trip Clarke. so are you going to pick up one of the newer coaches while you are there?

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:21 AM   #11
chockwald

David.....hope you get the water drips worked out resolved before you leave....Tom....right...looking to upgrade to a 2008....maybe all of us could go together and make a time share out of it...LOL!

Got up around 6am, and it was around 28 degrees. Turned on the coffee maker, and turned on the block warmer....burrr! Warmed up to 48 around 9:30am, so I turned over the 6V92 and it started immediately....thank goodness for the block warmer. On the other hand, I had lowered the rear suspension to level the coach the evening before, and it would not come up to ride height after 10 minutes, so I raised the trailer off of the hitch and it finally came up, but didn't seem to want to stay there....as it warmed up more the rear finally stayed up, and the pressure reached its normal level.....whew!

Our drive distance today was 310 miles.....very, very pleasant. Mostly flat and really straight.....headed directly east most of the day. Intermitent rain showers, but more sun than not. We ate lunch in Albuquerque (bet you thought I couldn't spell that!), and reached Tucumcari around 4:30pm. I love travelling without reservations and just making it up as we go. We found a great little park called Cactus RV Park on the east end of town with 80 foot pull throughs, perfectly level, 50 amp, sewer, water and cable TV (very clear,sharp cable TV) for $17!! We're going to watch the Amazing Race at 7pm tonight (6pm Pacific Time) instead of the usual 8pm Pacific Time. No restaurants open today as it is Easter Sunday, so Elaine made a great dinner out of not much, as she always does!

Here's the YouTube link for today:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DIGI0155.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	146   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1107.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	147   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1104.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	148  
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 04-14-2009, 12:24 AM   #12
chockwald

Left Tucucari, NM at 8am this morning as we had a 380 mile day to Oklahoma City to put us in striking distance to the Newell factory tomorrow morning. The day was totally uneventfual as we travelled from New Mexico through the Texas Panhandle (stopped in Amarillo at the Super Walmart) and into Oklahoma. The roads were great, smooth, and uncrowded. We continued to find ourselves in the middle of a Ford Mustang rally. It has been intertaining to see so many fine Mustangs in one place....all the way from beautifully maintained 1965 Mustangs to 2009 Mustangs...saw a Roush Mustang, a few Shelby's, some beautifuly mid 70's Mach 1's, and California Specials. No rain today, and a nice tail wind most of the day as we pointed straight east on I-40. We are at the Twin Fountains RV Park off I-44 (63rd NE Ave. exit) which has wonderful 80 foot pull throughs. Today was almost like cheating.....no stress, and after 9 hours on the road I am still totally relaxed...I am really in vacation mode now!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DIGI0173.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	149   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1127.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	151   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1136.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	152   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1135.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	153  
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 04-14-2009, 01:20 AM   #13
zcasa

Hey Clarke:

Thanks for the great videos. I was ready for the one of Easter Sunday. I got the popcorn out before I started the show lol. Anyways, always great to be safely tucked away in an RV park after a long day of traveling. The Mustangs were great. We were heading from Albuquerque to Denver one time right before the Balloon Festival, and got to see dozens upon dozens of Motorhomes and Coaches heading towards us going to the Festival. Helped the time pass more quickly, as I'm sure the Mustangs did for you. Thanks for the good wishes on the couple of water leaks. I've worked on installing a new water heater and haven't gotten to the small leaks. One is in the kitchen faucet which I can just pull into the sink and the other is in the shed and it will take a little bit of work, so I replenish a towel now and again and I will have to deal with it in Austin as I have run out of time. Hope to see that I have hot water tomorrow. This will make me a hero to the Mrs.

Enjoy the Factory. I look forward to the pictures of the Newells. You'll have a lot of fun there. We stayed in the Newell campground. Very convenient.

Safe travels, see you in a few days.

David and Denise
Old 04-14-2009, 02:45 AM   #14
chockwald

Working on today's video, and will post it shortly....looking forward to staying in the Newell Campground. See you in a few days.....

Here is the video for April 13th.....Tucumcari, NM to Oklahoma City, OK

2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 04-14-2009, 02:18 PM   #15
Richard and Rhonda

Enjoying the progress reports very much indeed. When will we see video of Elaine driving?

Seriously, glad all is well so far. I find I have far more air leaks in really cold weather. Those slip in fittings tend to leak when cold. If you look at the tubing inserted in the fitting you will see that over time it takes on a "set" and there is a little ring. If you have enough tubing simply snip about 1/2 off and put it back in, and that usually fixes the leak.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:42 PM   #16
prarieschooner

me too. I especially like the parts where Clarke does the "sing alongs". Looking forward to the next up-date.
PS I needed to get back to Yuma unexpectedly so we picked up the door latches.
prarieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #17
chockwald

Just arrived at the Newell Factory, and snagged a spot in the RV Park...I didn't realize they had a park with hookups (no sewer, but water and electricity). Had to drop the trailer to back into the spot. Richard....you're right..I only have a problem when it is super cold...like in the 30's. Was in the 30's again this morning in Oklahoma City, and it took a while on the road for everything to level out properly. Everything else is working well now. Averaged 7.7 mpg on the last tank pulling the 5,000 lb. load up over 7300 feet elevation in New Mexico. Paid $1.98/gallon in Oklahoma City at the Flying "J". The drive up Interstate 44 was uneventful except for a few construction zones. Interstate 44 is a toll road so it cost us $17.50 from Oklahoma City up to Miami in tolls. Have been taking pictures of all the Newells....the RV park is pretty much full except for 2-3 spaces. There is even a Classic here with a tag. I'll post my pix later.

Steve...thanks for picking up the door latch. I'll get together with you when I get back the end of the month and settle up. I have to remember not to sing along when I'm running the camera....hahaha! Richard...you won't see a video any time soon of Elaine driving.....she likes her co-pilot position, and is grateful I like to drive. She used to drive the Class "C", but wants to take driving lessons from someone other than me before she drives the Newell....I wonder why??? I have a wonderful disposition when teaching others how to drive...just ask my kids....LOL!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DIGI0194.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	154   Click image for larger version

Name:	DIGI0192.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	155   Click image for larger version

Name:	DIGI0190.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	156   Click image for larger version

Name:	DIGI0195.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	157  
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 04-14-2009, 06:56 PM   #18
zcasa

Nice work, Clarke. Good picture of the other Classic. You are going to have a lot of fun there. Are you having any work done while there?

When do you leave for Austin? The weather forecast beginning Monday looks ideal. We should have some good bike rides.

BTW, are there any joggers amongst the group attending Austin?

David
Old 04-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #19
Wally Arntzen

Everyone going to the rally in Austin,

Here's hoping for a sage trip for everyone and be carefull.
Tom and I are traveling together from Arizona and will see there.

Wally Arntzen
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:54 AM   #20
chockwald

Took the "tour" this afternoon around 4pm. James from the design department took us on our tour, and proved to be a gracious host. He spent about an hour and half with us, and took us through all the departments (the frame department is completely empty right now...no new coaches being started right now) and gave us a tour of several "show" coaches, and other coaches for sale. James indicated that they built 44 coaches last year, but are gearing down to 26 this year due to the economy. I'll post a few pictures here, and put the rest in my daily YouTube video. I didn't realize they had an RV park here, so that is a total bonus!

Will be heading for Tyler, TX tomorrow morning for the family wedding this Saturday. We'll spend 4 days there, and head down to La Hacienda Sunday morning.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DIGI0234.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	158   Click image for larger version

Name:	DIGI0231.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	159   Click image for larger version

Name:	DIGI0227.jpg
Views:	107