On My Way - Page 3 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2009, 04:44 PM   #41
tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcasa View Post
Hello Everyone:

Safe travels today and tomorrow to all. There are about 7-8 Newells here already and we are anxious for the rest of the group to join. The RV park that Tuga chose, is very very nice. The infrastructure is first class and the weather is going to cooperate starting later today.

Hey Clarke, any way you can bring some of the wedding cake?

David
David,

Actually Michael Day found LaHacienda. He and I were trying to get sites reserved at Buckhorn in Kerrville, but they were having a Marathon rally on these dates. I think Michael stayed there before.

Thanks for the update; glad to know 7-8 coaches are there already. We would be there now but we have a committment Saturday night in New Orleans. We'll leave Sunday morning.

Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:14 PM   #42
zcasa

Thanks Tuga. Seems like I am always thanking Michael for everything. Just thought I'd thank someone else for a change. LOL. Michael and Georgia are here and we are enjoying them very much. Safe travels. Weather is now perfect...reasonably on the warm side and humid...beats 20 inches of snow in Denver right now.

zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:05 AM   #43
chockwald

OK, David....I've got that piece of wedding cake in the fridge.....just got "home" from the wedding....tomorrow we're moving our home to a dryer climate...hope it's not too humid.....it's really humid here right now at 11pm...at least it won't be raining!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:08 PM   #44
chockwald

Well, it's now Wednesday, April 22nd, and the rally has been a whirlwind. Had an informal potluck Sunday evening around 7:30pm (BYOB), and then a great presentation by Richard Entriken on cataract surgery and lens implants (he makes the lenses)....really very, very informative and interesting. Monday evening we had the formal potluck in the La Hacienda Club House with amazing entrees, and desserts, followed by a history of the Newell Corporation by Michael Day, with Powerpoint...very interesting. Every day I have been here Michael Day and Tom McCloud have been moving from coach to coach helping owners solve problems ranging from electrical (mostly) to whatever. Yesterday was my turn. I've had an on going problem with my dash A/C...the evaporator seems to run all the time, whether or not I turn on the A/C. A more recent development is that after about an hour of turning on the fan I begin to lose air volume. Richard (after he had left the rally) posted that he thought I might be low on freon causing it to run cooler and freeze up the condenser. Well after some trouble shooting by Michael and Tom we determined that the rheostatic temperature control was non functioning resulting in the system running continuously and never cyling, which also causes the freezing. Now the difficult problem of finding a 27 year old rheostat with a thermocoupler sticking out the side of it. Michael has come up with a "temporary solution to a permanent problem" (only permanent if we can't find a new rheostat). We are going to install a toggle switch today that will allow me to manually turn off the evaporator when everything begins to freeze, and allow it to thaw out.

The temps are up into the middle 90's through today, and dropping off tomorrow into the 80's again. Tom and I will depart tomorrow and begin heading west. Elaine and I will spend at least one day at their home in Mesa, AZ before heading home to Ontario. There are 6 coaches left as of this morning. We had a high of 12 on Sunday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TEXAS - EFH'S PIX 014.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	173   Click image for larger version

Name:	TEXAS - EFH'S PIX 012.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	174   Click image for larger version

Name:	TEXAS - EFH'S PIX 009.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	175   Click image for larger version

Name:	TEXAS - EFH'S PIX 008.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	176  
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 04-22-2009, 08:32 PM   #45
chockwald

OK...here are the two YouTube videos I have been a slacker about getting uploaded.

Miami, OK to Bullard, TX:

Newell Mini-Rally:

ENJOY!!!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 04-23-2009, 11:29 PM   #46
chockwald

We left La Hacienda with Tom and Darlene around 9:20am, and arrived in Ft. Stockton at 5pm (took a long lunch). The A/C works great now that I can manually turn off the compressor/evaporator and let the ice melt...thank you so much Tom and Michael!!!

Getting a little rain here as I write, but the smell of wet mesquite is wonderful! Will post more tomorrow.... promise!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 04-24-2009, 02:39 AM   #47
prarieschooner

looking forward to it! it is great t follow along, I need to be able to do the youtube thing.
prarieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:13 AM   #48
chockwald

Left Ft. Stockton around 8:30am this morning on a crystal clear windy day....had a wind off the port beam for about an hour, and then it settled into a gentle head wind for a while. Tom fueled up in El Paso at the Flying J, and we ate at their restaurant. I'll fuel up near Tom's home tomorrow, and then top off when we get home Sunday. It has been a lot of fun travelling with Tom and Darlene...we have had a blast talking back and forth on the CB radios. Saw a late 90's Newell in a rest area (going east bound) on our way into Lordsburg, NM where are staying overnight at the KOA. It was nice gaining back one of the hours we lost 10 days ago on our way east.

Getting ready to BBQ some steaks, and enjoy the balmy evening air. Darlene even drove Tom's coach for about 3 hours. When I mentioned to Elaine that maybe she might try that, too, she said "Tell that to your other wife!".....LOL!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 04-25-2009, 02:51 AM   #49
zcasa

Hey Clarke, Elaine, Tom and Darlene:

Sounds like a lot of fun traveling together. Wish the rally would have continued to San Antonio. This place is a lot of fun and full of history. We will take a very similar route beginning Sunday to Tom's house on Thursday eve. Where did you stay in Ft. Stockton? We will probably do the KOA in Lordsburg too. Maybe you could leave a couple of steaks there for us??? That'd be cool and very nice of you. lol. Safe travels tomorrow, maybe you and Elaine should stick around next week and wait for us to get to Tom and Darlene's???

Safe travels.

David and Denise
Old 04-25-2009, 03:55 AM   #50
encantotom

the fort stockton rv park right off the freeway exit. it was ok and the little restaurant there was quite good.

in lordsburg there is only one rv park and it is the koa. it is not very nice, but the weather and company was perfect. we ate and visited and enjoyed the evening. the park is all gravel so missy got white with gravel dust so she got a bath tonite when we came in.

look forward to seeing you guys in mesa.

darlene drove and did fine.

later

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:24 AM   #51
chockwald

Hey Dave and Denise....would have loved to have seen San Antonio again! Like Tom said the park in Fort Stockton is called Fort Stockton RV Park, and is right off the freeway...easy off, easy on....no real freeway noise. Nice little park, and restaurant. It is exit #264.

Wish we could hang around Mesa, but I've got a busy schedule on Monday that I can't put off, otherwise I'd be there waiting with a couple of steaks.

Be safe and enjoy the drive.....
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 04-25-2009, 12:57 PM   #52
zcasa

Good info, thanks. Safe travels today as you make it home. We can't wait to visit as well. I have been speaking with Michael, as we are losing our salon basement air conditioner. I'll troubleshoot soon, but it makes a racket when the air is on and not when just the fan is on. Michael is pretty sure it will likely be the motor or compressor. Let's hope for the motor, or better yet, some loose screws.

Anyways, no worries, the weather is cooler and cloudy, so no need for it right now. We will begin heading that way tomorrow and want to stop by the Kirchner Caverns that Tom told us about.

Funny Elaine's response to driving the Coach. Denise thought that I should go pound salt when I mentioned to her the idea of driving for ten minutes. LOL.

David
Old 04-25-2009, 01:22 PM   #53
encantotom

we can have a look when you are at my house later in the week if you have not figured it out

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:56 AM   #54
chockwald

We left the KOA at Lordsburd, NM this morning around 8:45am......turning on to HWY 70 I started to use the east bound I-10 onramp (freudian?), but quickly corrected and headed for the west bound onramp....Tom, on the other hand, could not resist the temptation and started up the east bound ramp...got a call on the CB from Darlene who laughingly recounted their misadventure. Otherwise, our drive today into Mesa, AZ was totally uneventful, just like the previous 2 days. The scenery was beautiful, and we arrived at Tom's around 1:30pm. My only concern for the day was when I observed in my driver side mirror my trailer license plate dangling by a "hair"...we exited at exit 185 and removed it....it is now reinstalled with nylon bushing nuts, to be sure they don't come off this time. Darlene is making home made pizza tonight, and even bought some anchovies just for me...I feel very special right now...LOL!! I'm sitting at my computer in my coach in front of Tom's home....the temp is around 78 with a gentle breeze...hope it's still this pleasant, Dave, when you and Denise arrive in a couple of days!

We'll head out for Ontario, CA tomorrow morning around mid morning....it will be a little bittersweet...we have had such a great time the last 18 days on our longest Newell trip to date...3600 miles! We made many new friends, and look forward to reaquainting as soon as possible...do we have to wait a year??

Got 7.58 mpg on the last tank...filled up at the Flying J in Eloy, AZ (about an hour from Tom's home). My best on this trip was 7.77, and worst was 6.7....all that driving from Miami, OK to Tyler, TX on back roads and too many red lights through towns. Diesel is $2.07 there ($2.06 if you have the Flying J card and pay cash). They have two RV lanes there you can fuel up, take on water, and propane.

Safe travels to everyone still on the road......

Michael and Georgia....let us know when you are back in town and we'll get together!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 04-26-2009, 01:15 AM   #55
zcasa

Hey Clarke:

Lovin it. Thanks for all your blogs. Life is good. We had a great 20 mile bike ride today to all five missions in San Antonio. We stayed at Travelers RV Park about 3 miles from downtown and right on the mission trail bike path. Awesome. Wally told us about the Missions and he has stayed here. We would recommend this park to all our Newell friends. The Niosta festival is concluding tomorrow here and it is quite an event. Loads of fun.

Glad you guys got to Tom's safely. Homemade Pizza sounds perfect. I think we are having leftovers. LOL. We will begin our trek following your successful trip tomorrow. Hope to be at Tom and Darlene's Thursday with no additional issues.

We have enjoyed these three weeks of following your adventure and to meeting all of our Newell friends in Austin and to adding some memories to our own experience. This is a great lifestyle and, yes, there is no need to wait a year to get together. We are going to be in CO all summer partying and then off to the east coast and then winter in FL. Think about it. It is easy to sell insurance on the road. LOL.

Thanks for all your postings. Hello to all in Mesa.

David and Denise
Old 04-26-2009, 03:02 AM   #56
Wally Arntzen

Hello to all of the rally travelers.
We just stopped at Lawerence, Kansas and got in 750 miles today on our trip to Sioux Falls, SD. We were on the front end of all the storms coming up I35 and stoppet at Topeka to stay the night. We informed of a strong possibility of tornados and went another 70 miles to Lawerence which seems be fairly safe for the night. I left my key to the Liberty on all the way and my battery is completely dead. Going to jump it in the morning when I take off and let it run while I'm driving to Sioux Falls.
Maybe these storms will get me out before I get to Minnesota and I will be going the opposite direction.

Hope everyone gets home in good shape and be ready for another day.

Wally and Phyllis
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:32 AM   #57
chockwald

Dave and Wally...thanks for your individual updates......Dave, your bike ride sounds like it was a lot of fun....bike riding is a great way to explore a town....that's what we love to do when travelling....stop in one place for a couple of days and do day tours around the area. Wally, you are the iron man....just thinking of doing 750 miles in one day makes my eyelids heavy! Sounds like you'll be home sooner than us....Elaine and I had a great visit again this evening with Tom and Darlene....got a tour of the McCloud Victorian...what a great home!

Here's a link to the video for the La Hacienda RV Park to Ft. Stockton, TX segment of our trip:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DIGI0120.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	177   Click image for larger version

Name:	DIGI0121.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	178   Click image for larger version

Name:	DIGI0123.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	179   Click image for larger version

Name:	DIGI0124.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	180  
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 04-26-2009, 10:57 PM   #58
zcasa

Yo Clarke and Wally:

Crazy, 750 miles?>?? I just put 450 on the coach today and Denise thinks I'm a light weight. Seriously, we are in Van Horn TX for the night. Talk about the twilight zone. Geez, I have all the doors and windows locked. We will make it to Tucson tomorrow for three days of exploring the desert and National Parks in the area. Can't wait to meet up with Tom and Darlene Thursday. Our day was uneventful. 750 is the most I've ever heard of. Wow. We saw about 8 Newells today. 4 were in a convoy heading east on I10 and they were the big boys. Many Prevosts and Marathons today. Must have been a rally nearby.

Nice to blog with all of you. Fun to hear about your travels and adventures. Keep it up.

Have a good night to all and safe travels tomorrow.

David and Denise
Old 04-27-2009, 04:43 PM   #59
chockwald

We saw a lot of Prevosts on the highway, and one late 90's Newell at a rest stop as we passed by. Left Tom and Darlene's yesterday (Sunday) around 10am, and arrived at our home around 6pm. Took a number of stops along the way, including one just west of Palm Springs at a rest area due to high winds, which delayed us a little. Just needed a break from the pounding we were taking....within 10 miles after that the winds abated enough so that it wasn't so tiring. The weather remained cool (in the 70's) all the way to Indio where it heated up a little, but cooled own again west of Beaumont to high 60's....no heat wave here right now! Topped off my fuel in Ehrenberg, AZ (1 mile before California border) at $2.05/gallon. Averaged just over 8mpg (8.14) on the 29 gallons I used from Eloy,AZ to Ehrenberg, AZ. Right now diesel is $2.17 here in Ontario, CA.

Woke up during the night to go to the bathroom, and tried to leave the room to find the bathroom...took me a second to remember I was home after 18 days in the Newell. Elaine and I both agreed that we would have loved to go on with our adventure for another month....at least. Envying David and Denise as they continue their travels for several more weeks. Hope you guys will continue blogging here, or start another thread to report on your travels, and maybe include a few pictures!

Be safe out there!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TEXAS - EFH'S PIX 152.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	181   Click image for larger version

Name:	TEXAS - EFH'S PIX 144.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	182   Click image for larger version

Name:	TEXAS - EFH'S PIX 180.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	183  
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 04-27-2009, 05:55 PM   #60
zcasa

Hey Clarke:

Wow, awesome trip. If you can take care of your business in a day or two, come on to the Grand Canyon and Lake Powell with us. We would have a blast. We are 70 miles outside of Tucson at a truck stop waiting for Denise to have a conference call. Should hit Tucson mid-afternoon for a few days of R and R. We will figure the picture thing out and give some updates as we go along. Good idea.

Have a good day, glad you two are safe at home.

David