Turn signal...3 clicks? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
jmacstack

Default Turn signal...3 clicks?

I have just returned from NH via canada and Rt 2 back to Montana. Had a great trip and have decided that Wal-mart parking lots are fairly grim places however, I am grateful that they are generous and share their lots with us.

Even while driving, I am learning things about this coach. On this trip I found that my blinker handle turns 3 clicks. Anybody else's do that? I haven't figured out what this could possibly do!

There is also a lever just under the steering wheel. Is this lever(it slides) used to remove the steering wheel so the dash is more accessible?

I also learned that there are several roof leaks..one through the front roof air and another on the passenger side somewhere near the curve of the roof and another up front above the windshield. I'm not sure exactly how to address these. Any advice would be appreciated. My inclination is to get up there with a caulking gun and have at it but that seems a bit of a renegade approach and just a quick fix.

When I pull the coach out of winter storage our first trip is to head to Newell so perhaps I will have them deal with it.

That's all for now, Jennifer

1987 Newell, 40ft #143
DD 8V92 Silver
2010 Cannondale Tandem
No Name Tandem Mtn Bike
1973 Triumph GT6
2012 AWD 4-door Mini-Cooper
3 Ford Trucks
Just another fanatical motorhead
jmacstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
chockwald

One thing about leaks to keep in mind is that water tends to migrate, or seek its lowest level. Water may come through the ceiling, or interior in one spot, but the actual point of intrusion may be several feet away on the roof. As a short term fix caulking will at least mitigate further leaking until you can visit the Newell factory. I haven't had any leaks so far on my 1982, but previously I owned class C and was chasing leaks all the time. The point of the actual leak was often not exactly where the water was obvious, except for the leaking in the "cabover" area...thank goodness Newells don't have that issue to deal with.

2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:55 PM   #3
Wally Arntzen

Jennifer, if you can get a hold of some self leveling caulk it works very well on the roof. Don't use it around the windshield, you should go to a windshield or window installer place and get a tube of windshield sealer from them. For the roof or the windshield make sure the coach sits in the sun for severl days and everything is completely dry before you apply the sealants.
I feel bad that you had better than acceptable experiences at WallMarts. They are my favorite places to stop for the night. I probably have been in them over 100 times in the past 15 years and have never had a bad experience. Was your in Canada or the states.

If you are near a camping world they have the self leveling caulk. It comes in a tube and when you apply it will flow into the cracks and level itself on the roof. It is often used around air conditioners as you have indicated that is where one of your leaks may be.
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
fulltiming

Roof airs are typically held in place by 4 bolts that compress a gasket between the roof of the coach and the air conditioner. Try removing the inside cover for the AC unit, then you should find 4 bolts up inside the unit close to opening cut in the roof. If have found these bolts can work loose after a while and result in leaks. I had that happen with a couple of Airstreams and a Safari. If that doesn't do it, the gasket itself may have deteriorated and need to be replaced.

Wally's comments about the self level caulk is a good one. I would look at an roof penetrations such as antenna or cable leads going into the roof or the attachment point for anything on the roof within 5-10 feet of the 'leak'. Clarke's comments about the leaks frequently not being where they appear on the inside is certainly valid. In the front, make sure that the clearance lights are well sealed. They were a leak source on my Safari.

The blinker handle rotating was first pointed out to me in another thread on this board. I did some checking and found the wires near the floor on the side of the steering column that were switched by the blinker lever rotating but they are not connected to anything. If the lever you are referring to is below the key, it was originally intended to be a steering column lock release but is not used on the Newell, just as the blinker rotation switch is not used. If you are referring to a lever just under the steering wheel, that releases (when moved counter-clockwise) the steering wheel telescope feature. Sometimes the telescope feature is not used for a long time and it takes some effort to get it working again. It is a great feature.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
fulltiming

If you want some additional detail on the turn signal rotation switch, look here http://www.newellclassic.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=1167. The self leveling sealant I have had the best luck with is Dicor. Many places sell it, including Camping World. Clicking on the link in the previous sentence will take you directly to the listing for Dicor which is available in three colors. If your roof is painted silver, like mine, the dove gray would probably be the best match.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
encantotom

one of my roof airs leaked and after tightening the 4 bolts was better.

i actually took the wires out that went to the unused positions on the blinker.

and i recaulk holes on the roof once in a while or at least check them.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:28 AM   #7
Richard and Rhonda

Jennifer,

Very happy to hear about a relatively good trip. I hope that you, as many of us have discovered, that traveling by coach is a wonderful way to get from one location to another. I am sure the Newell appreciated getting to stretch it's legs on a long run.

The real purpose of the three position turn signal switch was to act as a distraction for the gearheads. It whiles away the miles as we twist and search for something to happen. Many hours of "I wonder what that controls" have been spent on our nation's highways.

CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote