1972 Chauffeur - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
sopicki

Default 1972 Chauffeur

Hello all,

My wife and I are the ones who purchased the terquoise 1972 Newell with chauffeur's quarters that was in Julian CA. We purchased it last week and have it stored for the moment. We will be driving it back to Ohio during the 2nd week of May after it receives a full maintenance check at the end of April.

This is our second 70's vintage motorhome as we will be selling our 1973 Midas Mini once I finish replacing it's generator in the next week or two. We were looking for something bigger now that we have grandchildren so this should do nicely.

I posted the pictures that were in the sales ad in the albums section, I don't have any other pictures yet.

It's runs and idles very well and the brakes feel great. Electrically it is a bit of a mess so thank goodness I'm fairly skilled at wiring. My wife cannot wait to get it home and start working on it.

It came with almost no paperwork. Prior to 1981 there is nothing, no operators manuals, no system diagrams, no history. I know that the electricals have been modified since 1972 and no two Newell's are alike, but a wiring diagram from something similar would at least provide a starting point.

Does anyone have a diagram that they can share?

Also, I've never worked with air bags and this coach has an airbag suspension. Does anyone have a system diagram or operation manual for a bag system of this vintage?

Down the road we'd like to install a Newell bunk bed for the grandkids. Any info on how these beds were installed or attached would be appreciated....or even where I could locate one for sale.

Well, that's it for now. We will be naming the coach the "Carole Ann" in honor of my mother who died on Thanksgiving day last year.....she loved RVing.

Thanks,

Bob and Peni
Massillon OH

sopicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
rellick

Welcome Sopicki!, congrats on your purchase, I am also a big fan of the classics, and had quite a mess with my wiring also, here is a thread that was posted last week with fuse block and color codes that should be usefullhttp://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/forum/manuals-datasheets/5164-electrical-wire-fuse-lists-1977-show-coach.html#post32786 what engine does this have? Jon (Mr E) had a sweet 73. I am sure there will be a wealth of information regarding these classic Newells

22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
Neweller

Bob and Peni! I do recognize your new vintage luxury Newell! "Carol Ann" appears to be a beauty and I'm sure she will bring you much joy. There are a few vintage owners around as there are classic owners. That is how this forum started out almost 10 years ago. We look forward to you sharing all you learn and experience with ownership and hope that we can be a great help and resource to you folks too.

Sounds like you are handy with electrical and that can be half the battle on these gems for some folks, but everything usually rendered once we pick up the knack-ed for it. Hope most of your system check out to be in pretty good order etc....We do have some wiring diagrams for several coaches floating around and we are working on getting more uploaded to this site, creating easier access to site users. I will contact a couple owners and see if they have them available as well.

Bunk beds what a great idea. There are some different designs available that have been used on Newell's and there are a couple of other designs used on bus conversions. The one I was going to install on a previous Newell was rounded at the bottom making it blend into the ceiling design really nice. I'm sure we can round up some plans for those as well.

Regarding the air bag suspension; I know a gentlemen that had his 1967 coach upgraded with air suspension by Newell and paid a healthy penny to have it done. Hopefully he has something available on it. I would think he does since he is still the original owner...

Hang in their for now and you two continue to become acquainted with your jewel and lets see about helping you get lined out.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
NEWELLWIZARD

Welcome Bob, Peni and your Newell Coach Carole Ann. Wonderful name and reason for naming it Carole Ann. Great to have you! Not sure why the link that Keith posted didn't work. But I will post it here again http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...html#post32786 you can also take a look at all Manuals and Datasheets here Manuals & Datasheets Never know what else you might find that could be helpful.
NEWELLWIZARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
The Newell

Hello & Welcome Bob & Peni,

I hope you are enjoying the Newell Forums, You have just found and joined the friendliest & most informative website pertaining to Luxury Coach Ownership on the web. If you have any questions/answers please feel free to post them or to send one of us moderators a private message. We are all here to help so don't be afraid to call on us!

Welcome Again!

Joseph

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
prairieschooner

Bob & Peni,
Great looking coach! A little work isn't much considering what you will have later on.
We are in Idyllwild, CA just a couple of hours away. Let me know when you come back, we may be able to get together.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #7
The Newell

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellick View Post
Welcome Sopicki!, congrats on your purchase, I am also a big fan of the classics, and had quite a mess with my wiring also, here is a thread that was posted last week with fuse block and color codes that should be usefullhttp://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/forum/manuals-datasheets/5164-electrical-wire-fuse-lists-1977-show-coach.html#post32786 what engine does this have? Jon (Mr E) had a sweet 73. I am sure there will be a wealth of information regarding these classic Newells
1972 Newell with Chauffer's quarters. 2 baths, front engine, repowered with 1981 8.2L Detroit TD

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
MrE

Welcome to the forum, you definitely found the right place for vintage Newell questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopicki
Down the road we'd like to install a Newell bunk bed for the grandkids. Any info on how these beds were installed or attached would be appreciated....or even where I could locate one for sale.
You should get a hold of HoosierDaddy, he is looking at an interior make over where he will be removing a set of Newell bunks. http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...-makeover.html
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
Leeann J

Bob & Peni Welcome! Your Newell coach Carole Ann is too cool! Congrats on the purchase! Like others mentioned their are a few on here who are doing some extensive makeovers and I know we have an interior designer or two on here as well. There are plenty of Newell makeover topics throughout this forum. You will find lots of inspirational ideas and help here. Again congrats! Safe travels new friends!

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

There is always, always, always something to be thankful for.
Leeann J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #10
Maxwell55

congrats yall and welcome!
Maxwell55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #11
chockwald

Welcome Bob and Peni:

Followed your coach on Ebay, and am so glad you have joined the forum. Like Steve Ward (Prarieschooner) and am also from So. Cal.....currently on the road in West Virginia. Steve is a great resource, so be sure to contact him when you are going to pick up your coach. He can answer a lot of questions. You have purchased a unique coach! Enjoy!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #12
1993Newell

Welcome! Your 1972 Newell Chauffeur coach is nice! Congrats on the purchase. We have many classic Newell owners that own a 70's area Newell here on the forum. Joseph (TheNewell), Keith (rellick), Jon (77Newell), Cheri Smith, bigcatwally, NewellAttack, PIExpress...Just to name a few. Plus we have members who have owned more than one Newell Coach like Ken (Neweller), Jon (MrE), Sean (NewellCrazy), Dean (HoosierDaddy), Larry (larryweikart) and many more. Come hang out, ask questions and you'll be sure to get the help you need here. Look forward to meeting you on the road!

1993 Newell Coach Motorhome
1993Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #13
sopicki

WOW,

I was not expecting this many replies! Thank you to all who welcomed my wife and I to the forum. We are very excited to have found such a welcoming group.

Thank you for the wiring color codes and the line on bunk beds. We love all of the clever names, my wife especially likes hoosierdaddy!

Our intent is to make the bunks something like the foldable berths on a ship or train, something that folds up near the ceiling over the single beds. There is a picture of a berth hanging from the ceiling in the 1972 section of the Newell Showcase. NewellShowcase.com Newell Coach Photo Gallery, Newell Coach Photo Showcase, Newell Motorhome Photos, Newell RV Photos, Newell Photo Gallery - 1972 Newell Coach Album 4 This was apparently an option direct from Newell. I'd just like to know if the ceiling had to have some type of special reinforcing during construction.

Since we will be driving through Indiana on our way home, perhaps parts of HoosierDaddy's bunks could be used to create the berths.

We will research previous threads or start new one's for our specific questions as they arise.

Thanks again for all of the replies!
Old 04-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #14
NewellCrazy

Welcome Bob & Peni,

Glad you joined our great community. Your definently in the right place to get all your questions answered let alone make many friendships along your way. Sometimes you can't always find what you need using the search button so please create new threads without hesitation and we can always point you towards others threads that might cover similar topics.

Happy Traveling,

Sean

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #15
speedingsport

Welcome you will find this to be the most friendly and informative forum around.
speedingsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #16
Neweller

Bob and Peni, here is an example of pull down bunks on a Newell. I built some kind of similar for a friend a few years back that were put in a MCI 7 bus and they were what I had been thinking of putting in a Newell. I almost put them in my first Newell, but some things changed that one is long history. This particular design in this photo are mainly supported off the wall via with the chains coming off a ceiling bow area. I know on the MCI that we went to steel and it was obviously not a problem. Newell are aluminum but the are stout and don't think there would be a problem. I have had the headliners out and it would not be difficult to beef it up for the chain or add a brace between the bows if it look like it would be needed. I'll do some additional checking for you as well and report my findings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Newell with Pull Down Bunks.lcl.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	3890

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 04-16-2013, 12:21 AM   #17
Cheri Smith

Welcome Bob and Peni! Good to have you hear to join us Newell owners and other luxury coach owners.

1979 Newell Classic
Cheri Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:01 AM   #18
Neweller

Here is another type of drop down luxury coach bunk.

Name:  Drop Down Bunk in Up Position.lcl.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  13.5 KBName:  Drop Down Bunk in Up Position2.lcl.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  10.7 KBName:  Drop Down Bunk in Partial Down Position.lcl.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  9.9 KB

-Bob Marley
Old 04-16-2013, 01:04 AM   #19
Neweller

Here are three more:

Name:  Drop Down Bunk Hinge Design.lcl.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  10.4 KBName:  Drop Down Bunk Hinge Design2.lcl.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  9.7 KBName:  Drop Down Bunk in Down Position.lcl.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  11.0 KB

-Bob Marley
Old 04-18-2013, 12:52 AM   #20
sopicki

Neweller, those are EXACTLY what I'm looking to build. Of course what I'd really like to do is salvage a couple bunks from a remodeled or retired coach......and I'm still not sure where to attach the ceiling links and whether the roof is strong enough the way it is or whether it will need reinforcing. GREAT info, thanks for your help......and if you know where I can find some bunks.....