Hello from Montana - Page 2 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2013, 09:53 PM   #21
griz

eureka

I do like the older Newells & Birds real well; had some bad experiences with tupperware "coaches." Even coaches like the Beaver, Foretravel, and Country Coach give me pause - though I know that I should know better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77newell View Post
If it does what you want to do you will like it in the end.
Finding one that does all of that and pleases the wife too would be a miracle

I've made quite a bit of going into the Montana Forest, but only once did I need to leave my Bird behind and drive into the woods in my dinghy. …so what's another 4-5 feet in length…as long as it's not "Going to the Sun" road.

I've never had much luck at buying things based on my research and my imagined needs, so doing that with a coach is a high dollar game of chance. I imagine there will be few disappointments buying a classic Bird or Newell; I know what to expect from those coaches…everything else, IMO, is a crapshoot.

That said, I truly appreciate the reasoned response.

griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:14 AM   #22
MrE

One thing that's really nice on my '86 is the airbag leveling. I can raise the coach well above normal ride height and leave the leveling switch on and drive the coach. I wouldn't want to do this while traveling down the highway, but wouldn't hesitate to do it to navigate off paved road to get to a 'special' site.

1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #23
rellick

Ground clearance would be one of my biggest concerns travelling on back roads, also trees. I also wouldn't find one with a super nice paint job. I would carry a chainsaw and a winch just in case.
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #24
griz

eureka

I just came back from hunting. My buddy & I discussed driving a coach around today's trails. It's his opinion it can be done. The paint job would surely suffer and the chance of banging into tree limbs is a real problem. However, ground clearance isn't the biggest problem, really, but the chance of getting high centered would really make a guy's day.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #25
rellick

Were getting a fresh dump of snow here, going out to find a cow moose in the morning. What are you hunting for?
You could go with a 96" wide vs the 102" also build some guarding for the ac units. Perhaps some guards for the front that you can mount with pins then take them off and stow them on the roof for when your not in the bush, maybe something like the gladiator!!lol
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #26
Neweller

Keith, I hope you get that cow! What a big prize that would be.

Griz, if you are really liking the back roads and trails you may be best in a classic of 40' or less do to all the clearance issues. I think the rounded roof will be less likely to shave off tree limbs..... and way easier for paint touch up if or whenever needed. Like Keith has stated, 96" wide would trim some fat as well, and if that's the case look at '85 and back.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #27
griz

eureka

I'm hunting for a black bear, a bull elk, and either a breeding white tail buck or a 3-4 year old mule deer buck. We saw bear tracks yesterday, but last night's big snow in the mountains may have put the black bear to bed. An elk would be a happy accident. It won't be difficult to get a buck if I put in the time.

All along I've been thinking late 80s or early 90s classic coach, but the re-power job makes it possible to go back further.
One of my concerns about the classics, though, is that old things break and coach repairs ain't cheap. Of course, with the forum, getting a trustworthy mechanic should be much easier

Thanks for all of the input.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #28
77newell

Having owned a 77 coach for 10 years I have to say I'm amazed at the number of things that were original and still functioning when I sold it this summer. Depending on your skills there is much that can be done yourself and save a ton a money. It really is a matter of buying it according to what is needed and being thoroughly realistic about it. As long as the engine is in good condition I wouldn't care what vintage it was, but the older it gets the more thorough job I would do to verify its condition.

Finding one your wifie likes depends on your wifie. The 77 I sold this summer, the wife was the one that instigated the buying. It's a matter of taste, she either likes the traditional stuff or she doesn't. And if she doesn't I have no clue what penalty you will pay but I'm thinking somewhere between big and HUGE.

In real estate it's location, location, location. With these older coaches it's condition, condition, condition. My 77 coach over a 10 year period probably cost me no more than I'm expecting the 93 coach will cost me over the same period.

2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote