Hello from Alaska - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
Narrowrd

Default Hello from Alaska

I just purchased coach #194, a 1989 40ft widebody, 100K on the clock. It was originally purchased by a gentleman and his wife in Michigan, then migrated down to AZ for the past 16 years.

At first blush it appears that everything is in good condition, although slightly neglected from lack of use. I will be searching this forum and others for any info on brakes, running gear, and motor, also will be taking into WWWiliams Detroit repair facility, have them do a visual inspection as well as oil samples. The coach has all original documentation, including invoice and blueprints. However, it lacks specific instructions on what "that switch does" and there are a lot of switches. Also, there are a lot of redundancies built in, trying to wrap my head around each is it's own headache. 110v compressor along with the Detroit powered compressor, dual water pumps, etc.

A few specific questions- I read somewhere the Newells had continuos roofs, mine is split in the middle. Is this a widebody thing?

ANybody have documentation on what switches of that vintage control?

Someone mentioned somewhere that the newer coaches are ditching LP in favor of electric. I can see going to an electric cooktop, but the LP heaters are kind of nice.

What systems are worth keeping, which are easier to just upgrade? The fridge seems to be rather a common upgrade, what about water softener, filters, macerator pump, etc?

ANy other advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	4632  

Narrowrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:39 AM   #2
rellick

Welcome Narrowrd!! That is one fine looking coach!! I was interested in this one also but didn't work out. I really hope all is well with everything on it. I know it does need tires and batteries etc but for the price you got it for once you do these things and the engine etc checks out you will have one nice coach for a great price!! If you ever make it through Grande Prairie be sure to look us up!!
I dont think Newell really had an operations manual as such that I know of, you just have to use it, ask questions about specific things on the forums' and we will help solve issues as you go. It does take some time to get aquainted with these coaches, they are quite complex. So feel free to ask and we will do our best to answer your questions.If you cant find it in the forum someone here will be sure to help!! that is what its is all about

22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:28 AM   #3
ccjohnson

Don't forget Newell's 24/7 tech support. It goes with the coach not just the original owner. They are a wealth of info. They prefer non-emergency calls Mon-Thurs (work schedule at factory) normal hrs. Should you have a rodside emergency call anytime 24/7. No charge to you for this service. 888-363-9355
XL-7
F-350 4X4 Crewcab
F-250 4X4 Crewcab
ccjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:48 AM   #4
Narrowrd

Thanks for the tips, I will be sure to give Newell a call. And I'll be posting more here as I get my hands dirty.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:42 AM   #5
ccjohnson

When you talk to Newell give them your info & they will add you to the coaches record of owners that they keep on file.
XL-7
F-350 4X4 Crewcab
F-250 4X4 Crewcab
Old 02-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #6
Narrowrd

Will do Clint. I found the thread on this forum regarding this coach, but the spambots flagged me and I couldn't post Qs when I was in AZ looking at it. There are some VERY valid concerns posted, and the seller was shady at best. But when road tested it ran well, which was my main concern. I am a very hands on type person (out of necessity here in Alaska), but even I almost had to go to a coin toss on whether to walk away or not. I guess the deciding factor was that at the end of the day it's still an old coach that will need work, not trusting the seller will force me to check it end to end, and I will be very familiar with it at that point. If anyone who had contact with this coach or info, good bad or otherwise wants to chime in, I would appreciate any thoughts. You won't hurt my feelings. Thanks!

-M
Old 02-01-2014, 06:42 PM   #7
ccjohnson

We are all very interested in your up coming adventures! Please keep us posted. It sounds like our purchase experience. We went to FL to look at ours. Had a 3rd party do a rough inspection before we got there. As we looked at it & I tried to keep a running total in my head of what we might possibly need to put into it real soon we were still very satisfied with our decision to purchase. We have probably put the purchase price back into it with remodeling & custom up grades at Newell, but we now are close to having our very own personal luxury coach. And, it is a Newell!
XL-7
F-350 4X4 Crewcab
F-250 4X4 Crewcab
Old 02-01-2014, 08:38 PM   #8
Narrowrd

Thank you, that is encouraging!
Old 02-02-2014, 02:44 PM   #9
rellick

When do you plan on driving it up to Alaska? or are you going to leave it in Arizona for winter retreat and fly down?
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
Old 02-02-2014, 04:37 PM   #10
Narrowrd

We are hoping to drive it up in the spring, a nice little shakedown run? Eventually it will most likely end up down south for winter getaways.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:23 AM   #11
rellick

One day I would like to take hyw 101 up the coast from california to Vancouver, then the fraser canyon through Hells gate. I was through the canyon last year with my 87 but just from Vancouver. I was a great drive.
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
Old 02-03-2014, 08:35 PM   #12
Narrowrd

We are trying to figure out how to hit Yellowstone on the way north without hitting every pass between Mexico and Canada. The coast run is pretty, I've done it a few times and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:50 PM   #13
rellick

You could come up through Calgary you could head west there to Banff, or north through Jasper, or north again to the start of the Alaska highway here in Grande Prairie. It is flat from the border to here if you take the Calgary Edmonton highay, all twin lane
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
Old 02-06-2014, 03:35 AM   #14
MrE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narrowrd View Post
We are trying to figure out how to hit Yellowstone on the way north without hitting every pass between Mexico and Canada. The coast run is pretty, I've done it a few times and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
Probably the easiest route would be to go to Las Vegas and then take Interstate 15 to Idaho Falls Idaho, then US 20 to Yellowstone.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:52 PM   #15
NewellCrazy

Welcome Narrowrd to the most informative Newell Forum on the internet. Glad you decided to join us and I look forward to meeting you on the road.

Sean

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:27 AM   #16
Narrowrd

Thank you Sean, look forward to getting out on the road. Everyone here has been an amazing help.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:09 AM   #17
Narrowrd

Just added 6000 miles to the clock- It was a fun trip. Hit Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore, Glacier National Park, Liard Hotsprings, bummed around Whitehorse for a day and then a cannonball run from there to Anchorage. All in all the roads weren't too bad and aside from the driveshaft eating through a brake air line causing the brakes to rub, no mechanical issues.