Amana Side by side Fridge problem! - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2012, 12:15 AM   #1
leskorcala@hotmail.com

Default Amana Side by side Fridge problem!

Hello ,
We own Amana electric fridge ( side by side house hold style fridge ) and on the last trip it stopped cooling ! lights are on and I can hear the fan or compressor running!
I tried two local repair shop and RV repair place who normally work on our RV in past dont want to work on the electric house hold he works on RV brand type, than I called house hold repair place and same think , they dont want to work on teh Fridge build in RV!

So what i did build nice 6x4 stock wood platform and the playwood on the top of it to level it just right!

I than pulled fridge all the way out! problem I have is that I have no room to even fit my hand in the back!

I wanted to see if the colils are dirty and cloged up and clean them , several people said thet cleaning the colis and around solved cooling problem !

I have no idea how you can even remove the fridge out of teh coach , simply not much room to work with!

Is anyone pulled all the way back their house hold fridge and was able to get to the back of it?

We have 2001 Newell with 2 slides , our amana is located mid section of teh coach across from the kitchen top , removing some drawers gave me about 1" extra room & removing fridge front doors could give another 2-3" but still no way to get in the back ?

BTW, back of it has big black cover on the entire back of the fridge.

leskorcala@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:22 AM   #2
lbrachfe

I have the same fridge and just had it out to replace my laundry waste pipe. It came out easily onto a 3x3 platform after removing the base cover and just pulling Ford with a slight twisting and slide whole thing with a carpet scrap to the side. The back has interior coils and there is very litlle access.Most of the dust accumulated on the floor and very little elsewhere except the front grille and under it.You made need a freon filling and suggest a call to Newell who can direct you where to go for help filling.

lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:02 AM   #3
leskorcala@hotmail.com

Larry,
Thanks for the good tip how to pull it all out & to the side!

After looking again with my wife ( smart side of this duo! ) she to pointed out to pulled all the way out ( as I did ) and slide it to the side ! I was not thinking since the slide was in ,but now it all makes sense!

I will pull it all back and put my platform on to the ald carped on granite floor it should slide no problem !

One more question on 3x3 platform ? did you use say 4x6" as frame and 3/4" of playwood on the top of it as frame? it would make sense to fasten all togheter so nothing colapse under while you moving it!

Looks like thsi one has black coils in front under and there is sealed coild sytem with the freon! will try to clean all front first and go from there!

thanks again for your help!
Old 01-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
tuga

I clean my Amana with a refrigerator coil cleaning brush. It is a long piece with brushes on it and it is flexible so you can bend it to get the lint and dust out.

I bought it at Lowe's or Home Depot for a couple of bucks. I have also seen them for sale at WalMart.

Saves a lot of time and trouble.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
lbrachfe

Yes to the 4x6 and 3/4 plywood. Tugas brush sounds good too. I just used a plastic stick and my vacum hose to clean in every crevice I could access.seems tougher than it is. Freon fill should be easy if you have someone willing to do it.Amana or Newell should be able to help you find someone.
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:30 AM   #6
leskorcala@hotmail.com

Platform from 4x6" cover with 3/8" plywood worked perfectly!

I pulled my old Amana with no problem !
Find out later that repair would run us around 1200 so we bought nice KitchenAid Fridge with same size as our old one ,m schedulling delivery!

Best,
Les
Newell 2001 two slide