At what age should you stop driving our newell bus - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
Will Procter

Default At what age should you stop driving our newell bus

Ok guys your honest and unbiased opinions here please! approaching my 70th year on this earth in a couple years and I know my reaction time is not what it was when I was 40. I have had this discussion several times with other full timers etc and many quit driving there rv's in their early to mid 70's. I hate to give up my newell but I would not want to cause a accident and hurt anybody. I am in good health have all my hair,teeth , don't wear glasses and my weight is maintained at 185# but I have noticed older folk driving who shouldn't be and it scares me and I don't want to be in that group. Please an honest answer from the younger and the older group here.

So when is it time to pass the keys off to someone else or not ?

thanks,

William

Detroit 60 Series 515 HP Engine

Some people call me the Space Cowboy
Will Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
Neweller

Will, I don't know if I like the idea of putting an age on driving. I do understand what you are saying though. I have seen people younger than 70 who probably should park it and I know a gentlemen that is in his 80's still driving a bus. I can definitely appreciate your concern and give you tons of respect for such consideration. I would recommend discussing this with your heath practitioner.

Ken

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
Randy J

Will I say if you feel good. and comfortable still driving then keep on. I have known many older folks who still drive. but like Ken said check with your doc.

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Randy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
pairodice

We had a couple that had lived on sailboats most of their lives come and buy our first coach - the man was around 85 y/old and as spry as either of us, probably more so. I think if you can see, hear and react well then you deserve to enjoy your coach. If not then sell it to us really cheap and we will come by and give you rides in it! Just kidding...
pairodice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
tuga

Will,

It is difficult to judge the age someone should quit driving. I think it depends on the individual. My wife thinks I should have quit driving 10 years ago! I don't think the number is as important as your ability in handling the coach.

I am 65 and I have been more comfortable driving at 60-65 mph than I used to at 70 mph. So I drive at those speeds. You'll know when its time, and I bet you 10 to 1 thru a nickel in a donut that you have a lot of good driving years left!

Go for it!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:11 AM   #6
ccjohnson

You will know when it's time to quit driving. We went to a Foretravel gathering in Quartzite in Jan. The oldest attendee was still driving well at 92. A few in their 80's had downsized to class C or B.
XL-7
F-350 4X4 Crewcab
F-250 4X4 Crewcab
ccjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:56 AM   #7
afrench45

While at Newell a few weeks ago, they had a coach in production for an 85 year old, and last night met a man that was still driving at 88!
afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:23 AM   #8
bigcatwally

A good friend of mines parents still drive and they are in their late 80s. The husband still drives their RV and they enjoy going out with grandchildren and great grandchildren on trips.

I think that if you feel comfortable enough to drive and your vision and reaction time are on then you should have no problem staying behind the wheel.

On the other hand I have known quite a few who think they are fine driving and honestly in my opinion shouldn't be.

All in all if you feel good driving then drive!

1979 Classic Newell Coach
1967 Ford Mustang
1969 Chevrolet El Camino SS
bigcatwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
Newell Attack

I think it is a different time for each of us just listen to others (family and friends) they will let you know.

Jeff & Leann Shackly
Newell Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
tuga

After careful thought and deliberation I would say 105!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #11
NeverEnding

I plan on driving until I scare myself!

Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it. - Henry Ford
NeverEnding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #12
Neweller

Tuga, some people say they will live forever. This billionaire from Japan claims he has the answer and will live for ever. My mother who will be 85 next month thinks she wants to drive again after loosing her license about 8 years ago. She says shes getting antsy. I told her that's not an option so she thinks she just going to go buy a car and do it. So Jeff, sometimes listening never comes.

Ken
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #13
Twins

I have been driving for years now I won't tell ya it might scare you. And in these yrs I have seen young drivers who were naturals, and some who were so scary their cars would run from them if they could! And on the other hand I have seen the ones who have been on social security so long they should be getting a pension check from it too ! Some are as good or better drivers than I am, and well some are the ones who scare the out of us! When its time to stop driving hire a driver then who cares just keep on truckin.

Twins