Steering Column - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2008, 11:28 PM   #1
HoosierDaddy

Smile Steering Column

I took the '93 to a local chassis/frame shop. I asked them to check EVERYTHING on the bottom side and grease it. They found one tag wheel had a bearing that needed adjusting, a minor adjustment on one of the brake linkages and they adjusted the "toe". Everyting else checks out fine!!!
The tilt steering column has something broken inside. The tilt works and locks in place but regardless of the wheel tilt position there is a LOT of "slop" at the pivot point of the tilt. Apparently the vandals broke the turn signal stalk off (I have repaired that) and probably kicked or body slammed it. My local shop says replace the whole column. I'd rather repair the broken part...I'm looking for a parts list or drawing for the column or I may have to break down and buy a new column..Anybody know of a good source for steering columns?
Thanks,
Dean

1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:56 PM   #2
fulltiming

Dean, I believe you will find that you have a steering column from a 1988-1990 GMC or Chevrolet pickup truck. There should be a blowup of the column on the film at your local GMC/Chevrolet truck dealer's parts department. Won't hold my breath for the dealer having parts other than things like the turnsignal, dimmer switch, etc but some junkyards might have one.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:44 AM   #3
Wally Arntzen

Dean, I have an 88 and my steering column became very loose an felt like it was going to fall apart. I took it to Newell and they rebuilt it and now its perfect. Mike is right it is a chevrolet or GMC truck column. They took it out in the morning and finished before the end of the day.

Good luck, Wally
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:55 AM   #4
encantotom

last summer i was at a friends place that for some strange reason likes to redo gm steering columns. he took it apart and lubed and adjusted it. there were a few special tools, but all ones that are easily bought.

has to be a common steering wheel column and i bet parts are available.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:47 AM   #5
larrynjeri

Default Steering Column

Try a local locksmith, they have the proper tools and know were to find the parts. The column is just loose, but rarely there are to many parts to replace. If ever in Temecula area I have a employee that will repair in less two hours, with new bearings and return springs. My 92 is still tight so, won't go there. Just left Newell had complete PM on coach. The guys did a great job, pricey but better than paying twice. Prevost Car in Mira Loma doesn't do, they charged a friend almost 700$ to repair his ignition switch, ouch.

Larry
Old 09-05-2008, 08:09 PM   #6
HoosierDaddy

I believe I can get a complete GM style steering column for around $350.00 from Ididit...they build steering columns for street rods. I think I will check with Newell first to see if this column is a standard off-the-shelf item and to see what their price is.

1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote