Amana fridge not cooling - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2012, 01:57 AM   #1
lbrachfe

Default Amana fridge not cooling

Just got the coach out of storage and my Amana side by side frig doesn't seem to be cooling and was fine yesterday. We have a radiator leak where I can't see it on top (Atlas) and I broke a a/c belt when we started the engine a/c and the engine was so hot being in the sun the tensioner took a 4" chunck out of one of the two belts. AAHHHHH.. Does anyone know if Amana will service my fridge in the coach ? Anyone with radiator experience and what it's like to pull out and fix or recore ???????

lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:02 AM   #2
encantotom

ron skeen has taken both the radiator and charge air cooler out and replaced them on his. need for ron to give you the scoop. i believe he tried repairing it once and ended up replacing it later.

if you are 3 foot tall and skinny, getting back in there to get it out shouldnt be too hard.

oh yea, with long skinny fingers that are really strong....ha

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
Richard and Rhonda

You may get a fridge repair place to service in the coach. You have to build a platform using a sheet of plywood and riser blocks so that you can roll it out of the hole. That's the trick. It's screwed to the floor, and then the rollers are adjusted so that the fridge is jammed up against a bar in the ceiling. Undo the screws, lower the rollers, and it will slide out onto the platform.

I have a slow leak in mine, so about once a year I have to put gas in it. Next time I pull it out, I am going to extend the copper tubing that has the gas port on it to the FRONT of the fridge, so that I no longer have to get it out of the hole to gas it up.

Of course if the compressor is kaput, none of that matters.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
Ron Skeen

Larry,
I have had the charge air cooler out four times. 1st time had it patch. 2cd time re cored. 3rd time new cooler. 4th time out when I had a radiator leak. This time I replaced the radiator with new from Atlas Radiator/Corpus Christi. They are the people who built the original for Newell. I now have new CAC and RAD from Atlas. My coach is a 96 and could be difference than yours. I did have to have help to remove and replace because of the weight. I would call Newell and ask them how difficult your would be. My CAC sit on top of RAD so it come on out first. I definitely would installed new and not re-core or patch. If I can be of any help give me a call. I am in Park City UT with my coach but will be flying home to TN Monday for a month and then back to the West. My phone number 865-712-5610. Have a great day!
Ron
1996 Newell 45' #422
2004 Newell 45'8" #689
60 Series Detriot
Yellow Dodge Truck
Ron Skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
busnut

On the Amana there is an access plate in the freezer section. Remove and make sure the fan is turning.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Skeen View Post
Larry,
I have had the charge air cooler out four times. 1st time had it patch. 2cd time re cored. 3rd time new cooler. 4th time out when I had a radiator leak. This time I replaced the radiator with new from Atlas Radiator/Corpus Christi. They are the people who built the original for Newell. I now have new CAC and RAD from Atlas. My coach is a 96 and could be difference than yours. I did have to have help to remove and replace because of the weight. I would call Newell and ask them how difficult your would be. My CAC sit on top of RAD so it come on out first. I definitely would installed new and not re-core or patch. If I can be of any help give me a call. I am in Park City UT with my coach but will be flying home to TN Monday for a month and then back to the West. My phone number 865-712-5610. Have a great day!
Ron
'93 43.5' #318
busnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
lbrachfe

Thank you everyone for your help. Well I changed my a/c belts, rebooted the frig and now it seems to be ok, so now it's just the radiator and it's tiny hole or crack where you can't see it of course. will call Newell in the a.m. and discuss next step, which will probably be a radiator shop in Tampa.....This is what I dislike about long term storage, even with starting and running everything monthly.....Thanks again all...

lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote