Add Steering Tag? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2009, 12:03 PM   #1
jrh_atl

Default Add Steering Tag?

Does anyone know if a steering tag can be added to a 1998? Just curious as to whether it has been done before.

jrh_atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:58 AM   #2
tuga

I may be wrong, but I don't think so. If you notice on turning tag axle coaches, there is about 12 inches of space between the drive axle and the tag axle. I don't know if you could move everything around to install the turning tag axle. The tag axle turns 23 degrees.

If it is possible, I'll bet it would be VERY Expensive!

You're right though; it would be nice if it could be done!

Many years ago, Vogue installed turning tag axles on their coaches (I may be wrong). But until today, I think that Newell is the only manufacturer that uses the turning tag.

Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:20 AM   #3
fulltiming

Newell used Ridewell axles until the change to the steerable axle. At that point the axles changed to ZF axles. The cost would be very dear and, as Tuga mentioned, it may not be physically possible to fit the ZF axles in.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
jrh_atl

Default Add Steering Tag?

Thank you gentleman for your honest answers. I kind of thought that it would be hard if the coach was not built to except the turning radius but I thought I'd ask you experts.
John
Atlanta
Old 12-02-2009, 12:37 AM   #5
Ernie Ekberg

I have seen Bluebirds and Prevosts with the steerable tag.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #6
jrh_atl

Ernie,
I've never seen steering tags on a Prevost before. I look at a lot of ads for them and have not seen it advertised. I'll have to look harder.
John
Currently Coachless
Old 12-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #7
tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
I have seen Bluebirds and Prevosts with the steerable tag.
Ernie,

What year Bluebird and Prevost did you see with turning tag axles?
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 12-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #8
greatriver

Tuga:

MCI claimes to have a steering tag but I don't think it's like Newell's. To be honest I read how it worked on some of their techinical data and I'm not smart enough to understand what they are talking about. It seems to be some sort of passive system that locks and unlocks the tag's camber (or castor). However, there are some air cylinders on the thing so I don't know.

Guess you and Karen are getting ready to head to the slopes. Have a great Christmas and don't break anything.

Larry
Old 12-11-2009, 11:45 AM   #9
fulltiming

MCI and Setra are the only buses I am aware of with steerable tags available. The Newell look-alike that Country Coach Rhapsody made for a short time was the only other motorhome with a steerable tag that I am aware of, no BlueBirds or Prevosts.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 12-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #10
smagown

Michael:
What year and model was the Country Coach w/steerable tag?
Thanks,
97 #458 w/3 roof airs, 07 997 GT3, 62 Vette,67 SS427 Chevelle, 02 Boxter, 74 GMC mtr hm, 88 Mastercraft 190 Prostar, 86 Ski Nautique 2000, 02 Baja Islander 212
smagown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #11
tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatriver View Post
Tuga:

MCI claimes to have a steering tag but I don't think it's like Newell's. To be honest I read how it worked on some of their techinical data and I'm not smart enough to understand what they are talking about. It seems to be some sort of passive system that locks and unlocks the tag's camber (or castor). However, there are some air cylinders on the thing so I don't know.

Guess you and Karen are getting ready to head to the slopes. Have a great Christmas and don't break anything.

Larry

Thanks Larry, we will be driving to Angel Fire, NM in the Honda Pilot. From what I have read on the internet Angel Fire in winter is not the best place for a Newell.

I am going to buy a set of snow cable chains for my Honda Pilot. It has 4 wheel drive but I think it will still need the chains.

Any comments by experienced folks regarding driving in heavy snow in an SUV will be appreciated. This will be our first trip, so it sould be interesting.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 12-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #12
zcasa

Hey Tuga:

You'll do fine. Many people here in CO keep a shovel, blanket, candle, etc. in the vehicle. In addition, do not let your fuel tank get too low, should your Pilot become your home for the evening. Never forget to keep your tailpipe clear of all drifting, accumulating snow etc., if stuck or stopped for an extended period of time. It would be a good idea to have Karen bring her heavy boots for this purpose. lol.

David
zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #13
prairieschooner

Tuga,
We have a CRV and it is a little "snow mobile". This is Tricia's daily driver. I have been able to drive it almost at anytime up here. We have BF Goodrich Touring Tires on it and they have worked well in the snow.
I recommend using the type of Cable that can be installed without moving the vehicle. These hinge at the bottom when installing and make it much easier when you didn't put them on when you should have.
As far as driving be aware of the ICE. When you see something shiny it could be the Ice. During the day the snow starts to melt and run to the lower part of the road and then later it freezes again creating a slippery surface.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:38 PM   #14
Stick Miller

Default Steerable tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltiming View Post
MCI and Setra are the only buses I am aware of with steerable tags available. The Newell look-alike that Country Coach Rhapsody made for a short time was the only other motorhome with a steerable tag that I am aware of, no BlueBirds or Prevosts.
Some Bluebird LXI models in the late 90's had steerable tags. Might be others. It just seems like something else to go wrong. I know the "fix" for some problems was to weld the tag in the locked position but that precluded lifting the tag in a tight turn. Worst of both worlds.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:29 PM   #15
afrench45

Here is a 2000 Bluebird LXI I found with a steerable tag axle.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...92310004r25964
afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:43 AM   #16
fulltiming

French and Stick: Good catch. I was not aware that the LXI had steerable tags.

Steve: The County Coach Rhapsody was introduced in 2008 and sold few units prior to the Country Coach demise in 2009.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 12-12-2009, 01:06 PM   #17
tuga

David and Steve,

Thanks for the advice. I am going to get a set of the cable type snow chains. The shovel sounds like a good idea. Karen is in charge of keeping the exhaust clear of snow.

I have a question about when to put the snow chains on. If I put them on too early does it cause any problems? Is there a certain speed limit when I have the chains on? Do I have to stop and tighten up the chains occasionally?

We are excited about the trip; I am sure that we will get "enough" of the snow after a few days. Keep in mind, it doesn't snow much in south Louisiana!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 12-12-2009, 02:44 PM   #18
prairieschooner

The Cable Chain that I described come with a large "Rubber Band" that works as a chain tensioner. You will not want to drive much faster than 25-30 MPH with the Cables on anyway, they will make a he!! of a noise and the ride will be rough. Make sure that you read the Owner's Manual for the Pilot and the Cables just in case.
I carry a Shovel as well as a Plastic Tarp, a Flashlight and a spare Tensioner. I have spun off the Chains and not able to find all of the Tensioner pieces but you shouldn't have this type of problem unless driving Un-Maintained Roads.
You'll be fine, if you can drive a Newell this should be easy.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #19
tuga

Steve,

My tires are 235/70R16 Firestones. I looked on line and found a cable snow chain that fits a 235/70R16T. I suppose the T is for truck.

Are the cable snow chains one size fits all?

Where is the best place to buy a set of cable snow chains?
I have seen some on line for $59.99 per set. Is that a good price for cable chains?

Do I need 2 sets (4 chains); one set for the front tires and a second set for the back tires. The Pilot has Automatic 4WD; the front tires pull and if they slip then the rear tires kick in to 4 wheel drive. If the front tires have the cable chains on, it would seem that they wouldn't slip. If they don't slip then the rear tires wouldn't engage. Does that make any sense? I am not trying to save money not buying the second set of chains, I just thought it might be less of a hassle to put on only 1 set of chains (front).
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 12-12-2009, 06:09 PM   #20
prairieschooner

Tuga,
On our CRV we are supposed to only use the Chains on the Front. The Manual also states what kind of Cable to use and I belive that is a low clearance type.
http://www.scc-chain.com/Traction%20Pages/tirequery.asp?sTireSize=235/70-16

I believe that we have the Super Z LT on our CRV
http://www.scc-chain.com/Traction%20...Trac_szlt.html

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]