Walking sticks for exercise? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
Raymond N Priscilla Miller

Thumbs up Walking sticks for exercise?

My exercise these days has only been simple stretches and easy body lifting. But we've been thinking about getting some walking poles.

Anyone here use them?

I read in that walking with poles is very popular in Europe but Americans are still having a hard time with the idea and that a lot of folks feel awkward walking with them?

I was thinking it would be kind of fun?

One of the main benefits of walking with poles—also known as Nordic walking—is that pressing the poles (similar to those used in skiing) into the ground as you walk takes pressure off your knees, hips and feet, allowing you to walk longer distances without stressing the joints and muscles in those vulnerable spots.

Walking poles also help you burn more calories than conventional walking because pressing the poles into the ground makes for a total body workout (but one that's not as strenuous as racewalking or running).

Exerstrider Nordic Walking Poles - Since 1988

Old 10-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
MrE

My parents used these for years, they used to walk a lot of mountain trails. Tracks Walking, Hiking, Travel, and Trekking Staffs - Home

1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:28 AM   #3
folivier

Plus they give you a lot more stability. I had vertigo last winter and haven't recovered fully yet so these give me more confidence on those steep mountain trails.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:54 AM   #4
prairieschooner

I'll keep that in mind. I have a very nice ladder!?!?
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
Flydrifter

While on a weeklong Geology field trip last week, and hiking into and climbing over a lot of outcrops, I noticed a couple of guys using the poles for stability on some steep rocky areas. First evening I ran to WalMart, as I had previously noticed walking sticks hanging in the camping supply area, picked up a couple of really nice telescoping poles (unfortunately made in China, but only $20 for 2 or, $15 for one). My main focus was to use them for stability on steeper grades. I was amazed at the increased speed I maintained on the hikes. At 63 I had at least 10-30 years age on most of the other participants, and had ended up falling to the back of the pack on the longer hikes. Later in the week, while using the poles and the above mentioned techniques (in a novice sort of way), I found myself in the front 1/3 of the pack, I am a believer.

If you want to try it out, the cheap-O poles seem to work great. I may get some better poles if these don't stand up long term, but in a pinch, or if just wanting to try it out, I would highly recommend them.

Ray Penick

1996 Newell #420
Tulsa, Ok
'96 #420 Newell 45'
Tulsa, OK
Flydrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
stewart33

I've never thought of using walking sticks but after reading everyones thoughts it sounds like something to look into. Ray you're right the cheapo guys are a good thing to try first. If someone likes them they can easily upgrade.
stewart33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
jWolfe

They are great for hiking. REI has a pretty good page on the different types of hiking sticks, how to use them - How to Choose Trekking Poles (and Hiking Staffs)
Old 11-01-2012, 12:03 AM   #8
JustDustin

Jay I would like to use them for hiking too. The first time I used walking sticks was in Maui, Hawaii back a few years ago. We were hiking and came upon a large group of hikers who had them and they just hiked up and down the rocks easily and quickly, we stopped for a break at some beautiful waterfalls and talked with a couple of the guys. They told us how much more comfortable it is to hike and you have more control. I was intrigued and they were kind enough to let me try them out. At the bottom of the trail I returned them, at the time I thought it was a little strange but they assured me it takes a bit of time getting used to them. I planned to purchase some online and keep them in the coach for when I'm in the mountains or places where I will be doing a little trekking. Haven't done it yet thanks for the reminder, I think I will see about ordering some now. Never know when I'll need them.

JustDustin is offline   Reply With Quote