Tech Talk Archives 12 - Page 2 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2012, 06:03 AM   #21
Neweller

A
1492 12/21/2004 8:37:00 PM 12/22/2004 Bob Fetters JF3brand@idcomm.com odometer We recently purchased a '93 (328) that has an electronic speedometer/odometer with an analog display. There were occasional problems with display when the dashlights were activated. We too suspected a ground problem which diagnosis was confirmed by email with the factory. It was a simple matter to remove the inspection panel opposite the instrument cluster and to feed a seperate ground wire from the speedo mounting stud to the grounding stud in front of the copilot seat. This fixed our problem and took all of 10 minutes. It was suggested each instrument have its own ground.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:03 AM   #22
Neweller

A
1494 12/24/2004 8:57:14 AM 12/24/2004 ed thalmayer 460 fts@rvwarehouse.com speedometer thanks dan. i will look for a better ground coonection first, since i have had bad ground conn. on lights before,some found by newell , several by my mech. still need to know best way to get to speedo.

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 10-25-2012, 06:03 AM   #23
Neweller

A
1500 1/14/2005 7:19:46 AM 1/14/2005 Jim Carney carney1081@aol.com 1972 buying advice Hi,
I'm looking at a 1972 Newell, and considering whether I should buy it. It seems to be in very good shape, but I am concerned by it's age.
I would like to solicit any insight or advice you all may have to offer.
Thanks,
Jim

-Bob Marley
Old 10-25-2012, 06:03 AM   #24
Neweller

Q
1502 1/26/2005 6:45:24 AM 1/26/2005 JAMES BRASELTON MavBraselton@adelphia.net HYDROGEN FUEL CELLS COOL COOL THE HYDROGEN ECONOMY IS ABOUT TO TAKE OFF WHILE THE FOSSILE FUELS DWINDILE TO EXTENTION IN 25 YEARS HYDROGEN IS IN EVERY THING AND IS EVERY WHERE SO WE DO NOT RUN OUT 100% RENEWABLE TOO CAN BE CRATED AND PRODUCED BUY RENEWABLE ENERGY TECHNOLGIES THEN BEST PART IS YOU GET LOTS OF USEABLE DRINKABLE GALLONS OF WATER OUT OF PIPE INSTEAD OF CO2 AND GREEN HOUSE GASES NOT ONLY DO HAVE THE WATER TANK CARYING WATER BUT HUNDREDS OF GALLONS OF HYDROGEN THAT TURNS IN TO WATER VAPER THATS DRINKABLE WICH MAKES HYDROGEN FUEL CELLS THE BEST FUTURE TECHNOLGIES FOR CAMPING FOR THE FUTURE EATHER ON A RV OR CAMPER VAN CUSTOM VAN BOAT YAGHT OR SHIP HYDROGEN FUEL CELLS ARE THE WAVE OF THE FUTURE.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-25-2012, 06:04 AM   #25
Neweller

Q
1503 1/26/2005 4:14:02 PM 1/29/2005 Bob InsideGolf@cablespeed.com 1972 buying advice Hi Jim, I have a '73 unit so I would guess that it can't be much different from the '72 you are looking at. The conditon of the unit is more important than its age as this unit is oftern referred to a bullet proof and with proper maintenance should last almost indefinitely. The only safety item I can think of would be the rims - it was orginally equipped with split-rims, called widow-makers, and should to be replaced as they are not safe. Cost should be around $35 each from a salvage yard (tires will be around $1,200 or so for all of them).
You can expect to get around 6 to 6.5 mpg with a gas engine. Not sure what engine is in the rig you are looking at but mine has a 391 Ford (gas) and is a bit challenged on steep hills but cruises along at 65 easily on flat ground. A little too under-powered to tow a vehicle I think.
These rigs are so much better constructed than the other units on the highway - solid construction and heavy-duty running gear. That said, they also have real dated, and sometimes dark, interior so and update should also be figured in with your purchase price.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-25-2012, 06:04 AM   #26
Neweller

A
1505 2/1/2005 2:44:53 PM 2/2/2005 Rich Farr toptin@cox.net Brake Job Info This is for Newell Tech Staff.
We are doing a complete brake job on our 1979 Newell 38.
It has wedge brakes on the back and S-Cam on the front -
Appears to be factory standard. The rear axle drums are slightly smaller than newer S-Cam designs. The Question is - If we need to 'replace' the rear drums, are they still available (from Newell - or ??), and do you have a part number? I am not certain, but think the coach has a Rockwell differential. Thanks in advance for the info.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-25-2012, 06:04 AM   #27
Neweller

Q
1506 2/2/2005 3:59:50 PM 2/2/2005 ed thalmayer fts@rvwarehouse.com speedometer removal have asked before, still need to know the best way to remove speedo from dash. thanks

-Bob Marley
Old 10-25-2012, 06:06 AM   #28
Neweller

Q
1507 2/3/2005 7:00:50 AM 2/3/2005 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com speedometer removal The top dash panel of your 1997 Newell, and all late model Newells, is removeable. You can get your fingers under
the panel and lift straight up on the top portion and then put your
hands between the padded cover and plastic dash and push toward the
windshield to release the bottom edge. There is a hole in the plastic
dash to get to the gauges. You should have 2 small nuts on the back of
the speedometer and a electrical plug. Older Newells, back to about 1990, have a visible removable panel behind the instrument gauges.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-25-2012, 06:06 AM   #29
Neweller

A
1508 2/4/2005 6:57:48 AM 2/4/2005 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Brake Job Info The axle identification information for your Newell is located on a tag attached to the differential housing. With this information, you can contact an Arvin Meritor (Rockwell) parts dealer. At Newell, we use Gooch Brake and Equipment (800-444-9802) in Joplin, MO. You also might try this web site: http://www.arvinmeritor.com/products...market/cva.asp

-Bob Marley
Old 10-25-2012, 06:07 AM   #30
Neweller

A
1509 2/5/2005 3:18:12 PM 2/6/2005 ed thalmayer fts@rvwarehouse.com speedometer removal thanks guys. i will let you know if i solved the odometer disappearance problem. again thanks.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-25-2012, 06:07 AM   #31
Neweller

A
1510 2/11/2005 8:28:45 AM 2/11/2005 billmoore newellbabies @juno.com Pictures Would like picture history of the Newell as they change from year to year. I have a 36' 74 with a diesel engine.

Bill

-Bob Marley
Old 10-25-2012, 06:07 AM   #32
Neweller

Q
1511 2/15/2005 3:37:37 AM 2/15/2005 Dean Stoops 67gto@myvine.com Pictures Hi, Bill
I'm interested too. I'd like to see a gallery just for Newell coaches old and new. How 'bout it Newell? Maybe a gallery sectin on the Newell web-site?

-Bob Marley
Old 10-25-2012, 06:07 AM   #33
Neweller

A
1512 2/15/2005 6:28:53 AM 2/15/2005 Raul Cortez raul-cortez@sbcglobal.net Air leaks Is there an easy way to find air leaks in the system?
My 1995 coach 401 has the aux gast compressor cycling way too much and the supply tank reading keeps on dropping. I need to fix this before I sell it and its driving me crazy. What would be the first thing to check as the source for leaks?

-Bob Marley
Old 10-25-2012, 06:07 AM   #34
Neweller

A
1513 2/16/2005 8:00:40 PM 2/16/2005 Bob Scott thescotts@proaxis.com Air leaks We have a 1995 that also had a bad air leak. One way to help locate the source of the problem is to listen for the air leaking. However, when your hearing is as bad as mine that isn't the best solution. What I did was to make up a little bottle of water with a lot of dishwashing soap and squirt this solution on every joint I could find. By the way, there are a lot of places where air can leak. In my case the main source of loss was one of the fittings on the control valve for the generator slide out. The fix was real easy as the plastic tubing wasn't inserted far enough so as to bottom out against an O ring. I did take it all apart before learning just what the problem was. I spent an hour fixing what was a couple minutes job. Oh well I just charge it off under a rather large account called tuition. A Newell has several systems to maintain and service but at least we are starting with quality components. Best of luck in your search. Bob

-Bob Marley
Old 10-25-2012, 06:07 AM   #35
Neweller

A
1514 2/17/2005 9:38:51 AM 2/17/2005 Scott Peatross slpeatross@sbcglobal.net Air leaks The easiest way to locate those small air leaks is to purchase an ultrasonic leak tester for about $200. You just point this device at the possible leak sources and you get a audible indication when there is a leak. You can't believe how well they work until you've tried it.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-25-2012, 06:08 AM   #36
Neweller

A
1515 2/17/2005 9:53:56 AM 2/17/2005 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Air leaks We agree that the ultrasonic leak detector is the "gold standard" for this work if one can justify the investment. The Newell Service Department has this equipment and uses it regularly.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-25-2012, 06:08 AM   #37
Neweller

A
1517 2/22/2005 10:33:16 AM 2/23/2005 Rich Farr toptin@cox.net new mufflers Our 1979 Newell 38' has dual exhaust. Engine is 6V92 Detroit Diesel
NON-turbo. Noise level is no problem inside coach, but it really puts out the decibels on the outside, especially during acceleration or under load. Searching for a source for new mufflers and exhaust components. Don't want to restrict any power, but need to tone it down before meet up with zealous noise enforcement officer.
Thanks in advance.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-25-2012, 06:08 AM   #38
Neweller

Q
1518 2/27/2005 8:45:55 AM 2/27/2005 Rich Farr toptin@cox.net Adding coach battery Our 1979 Newell has 2 8d batteries in the rear and 1 8d battery in the front. The wiring is cleverly done and appears (to me) to normally use 1 rear battery for the bus and the other 2 for the coach. The battery merge feature ties all three together. Someone has also added a master switch in the engine compartment, but it was installed on the positive side of the circuit (surprise to me). When off, it inhibits bus starting and lights, but all coach accessories function normally. Everything works great and should probably just leave it alone, but need to replace a couple of battery cables and my upgrade juices are flowing. Would like to add a 4th battery and isolators if can get a schematic. Anyone have any advice and/or a schematic to share? Thanks in advance..

-Bob Marley
Old 10-25-2012, 06:08 AM   #39
Neweller

Q
1519 2/27/2005 2:54:09 PM 2/27/2005 H.B. Powell hpowell@fidnet.com odometer Have 81 Newell Coach with 114,000 miles. Speedometer had quit. How do I test it to determint the problem? It is an electrical unit.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-25-2012, 06:08 AM   #40
Neweller

A
1525 3/3/2005 4:18:39 PM 3/4/2005 Shane Crawford cradad1@aol.com Preowned Newells, through 1992 1987 38' Classic 8v92 Dietroit/740 Allison 12 kw gen. This one is nice. Asking 78,900 will send pics on request...

-Bob Marley