Another Classic Newell Coach Getting Repowered! - Page 3 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2013, 12:33 AM   #41
Randy J

Hey it looks like its going good. Right on!

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Randy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #42
Neweller

Here is a pile of scrap out of the engine bay. There were a few more items discarded.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09828.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	904.3 KB
ID:	4453

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #43
Neweller

This is the front suspension that may go under the front eventually but who knows another completely different project could supersede this aspiration. There are a couple later model coaches that seem to be calling for help. lol

Name:	DSC09847.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	895.3 KB
ID:	4454

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 08-09-2013, 11:39 PM   #44
NewellCrazy

Enjoy your pics Ken, Can't wait to see the final product.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:17 AM   #45
rellick

Any pics of the installed engine Ken? The suspense is killing me!!lol
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:54 AM   #46
Neweller

Keith I do have some other pics I will size them. She's looking pretty good at this point and I'll take a couple more pics and post them. Fabrication, mounting, retrofitting and you name it's been done and looking really clean. She has all new fluids, hoses, serpentine belt, alternator, starter, engine battery, some of the hydraulic hoses that wouldn't fit, all filters, complete fuel line from tank, oil pressure & water temp gauges with matching sending units, fresh diesel and more.......

Still need to gather up the shift selector, ecu, connectors and build a new harness. This will be put on hold while some other business is being attended to and then we'll move onto finishing that up. Then she should be ready for cosmetics and I'm sure a maiden voyage.........

-Bob Marley
Old 08-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #47
Neweller

This post is for you gents that care to know how the 8.3 upgrade is coming along in the classic Newell Coach.

Here is the rear engine view mostly complete other than some cosmetics etc....

Name:	8.3 Cummins Engine installed in Newell. lcl.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	4457

Here is the passenger side view showing air dryer, reservoir, new exhaust and so forth......

Name:	8.3 Newell Cummins Right Side View Exhaust, Air Dryer. lcl.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	4458

-Bob Marley
Old 08-13-2013, 10:47 PM   #48
rellick

This is going to be a great coach for someone who likes the classic body style with the economical powerhouse 8.3, I sure like mine, plus parts are easy to find and reasonably priced. When do you think the maiden voyage will be Ken? Any plans for a road trip in her?
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
Old 08-14-2013, 01:44 AM   #49
Neweller

Keith I am amazed at the difference between parts on the 8.3 compared to anything else I have owned in a Newell. For example alternator and starters are 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a 6v, 8v, 555, 3208 etc.... I can see this is the no brainer approach for the guy wanting dependability and flexibility of repair facilities, not to mention the probability of keeping more in the savings for hopefully other necessities like enjoying the outdoors.....

-Bob Marley
Old 08-14-2013, 03:07 AM   #50
Viva Las Vegas JDR

I'm curious, What engine originally came installed from Newell? Cat 3208 or Cummins 555? How easy was/is an engine swap and how does the cost compare to an engine rebuild?

JDR
Old 08-14-2013, 03:40 AM   #51
rellick

I think the 555 was the most common engine in the Newells, the cost for 555 or the 903 that they also had, parts are harder to get and very pricey. The cost to repower with a newer engine is about the same or could be less than rebuilding. It takes roughly 100hrs to do a repower, and the engines are fairly common. It makes alot of sense to upgrade if the old engine needs a rebuild. These newer inlines fit in just like they are made for it. Heck I pulled my perfectly good running 555 and replaced it. I found it lacked in power and was hesitant on taking it on a long trip, if it did decide to grenade on the road I dont know where I would find parts. The 8.3 is the big brother engine to the 5.9 found in dodge trucks. The 8.3 is the C series and the 5.9 is the B series, same engine just bigger.
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
Old 08-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #52
Neweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva Las Vegas JDR View Post
I'm curious, What engine originally came installed from Newell? Cat 3208 or Cummins 555? How easy was/is an engine swap and how does the cost compare to an engine rebuild?

JDR

Jimmy, there were three pretty common diesel choices back in the early years of Newell which were the Cummins 555 or aka "Triple Nickel", Cat 3208 and Detroit Diesel 6V92. I have seen a fair amount of all three of these engines in the 70s to early 80s classic Newell's then in the later eighties Newell went pretty much exclusive with the DD 8V92. All These engines were V-8's with the DD's being the 2-stroke version diesels. All the engines were great for there time but things have progressed so much in the world of diesels since their inception that the engineering on these later inline 6 cylinder diesel engines is far superior in terms of longevity, fuel economy and repairs. Just food for thought as there are the die-hards that still love there wonderful V-8 powerplants.

-Bob Marley
Old 08-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #53
MrE

I've also seen numerous Cat 1160's in Newells, that's what my '73 had. I was the 4-stroke V8 normally aspirated (no turbo) predecessor to the Cat 3208.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #54
NewellCrazy

Jon,

What's the current status on your Newell? You gonna bite the bullet & swap engines already? This way your dog house becomes mobile again

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:27 AM   #55
Neweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewellCrazy View Post
Jon,

What's the current status on your Newell? You gonna bite the bullet & swap engines already? This way your dog house becomes mobile again
Hopefully it's not like my passion with the ole' '78 where you get burnt the freak out! If that happens the only fixin is selling or trading to or for new blood. Sorry Jon as I know how that ball bounces and hope you're not at this point in the equation, but if you are we can sit down at the alter together and pray for coach restitution!

-Bob Marley
Old 08-17-2013, 02:33 AM   #56
Neweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrE View Post
I've also seen numerous Cat 1160's in Newells, that's what my '73 had. I was the 4-stroke V8 normally aspirated (no turbo) predecessor to the Cat 3208.
Jon, I forgot to mention the 1160's, not sure how many may have had that engine but obviously your '73 did. There are a couple more variations I would have to think on. Of course some of us crazy guys are determined to change things up a bit............ Who else is ready to take the plunge or are others going to hold out for more proof?????

-Bob Marley
Old 08-22-2013, 03:09 AM   #57
Neweller

Here are a couple more pictures you requested Keith! As you can see this baby now has flipped and mounted rear doors. Of course the paint is upside down but it can be remedied. Wasn't too difficult and allowed us to put the radiator on the drivers side for great access and ease of the future owner ever needing repairs. So here is an instance where a classic Newell being redone better than factory, a strong statement but true in this sense of coach being.

Name:	8.3 Cummins Engine Conversion with Vent Door Change on Newell. lcl.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	4472 Drivers side of course.

Name:	New battery and tires off Bluebird on Classic Newell.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	4473Passenger side door flipped and new battery for instant start up. This baby fires so quick and sounds so sweet!

-Bob Marley
Old 08-22-2013, 04:21 AM   #58
rellick

Ken, this is right on!! cant wait to here how the maiden voyage goes!! any word on when that will be?
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
Old 08-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #59
Neweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellick View Post
Ken, this is right on!! cant wait to here how the maiden voyage goes!! any word on when that will be?
Keith, it's looking good especially when you have started with a dead horse and breathed new life into her. I would sure love to stick a ISL Cummins into something like a '86 or so widebody, just need to find a volunteer specimen. The maiden voyage may be close or it may not. We had to take a break from working on this coach to attend some other business calling for a couple weeks or so.... but hopefully we can get her licensed and road ready shortly, then take a jot down to a nice lake or rivers edge and kick it for a couple of days seeing how she performs. She will be up for sale of course with or without other improvements, the main thing right now is to make sure she is mechanically sound, in case we decide to run her to the far north to a little known shop that does some very sweet upholstery work and such. If that ends up being the case there may even be a Canuck or two standing in line for her.

It's pretty cool seeing how the engine and tranny transplant has taken shape and these nice I6 Cummins engines really do appreciate the luxury coach build of a Newell and get excited calling them home. This will be interesting to see how the coach comes even further into life with other updates. There will now be a super fine chassis to haul around whatever another mind of two can muster for its fine trimmings. Basically what I'm saying is a prospective owner can actually choose his own flavor on having some other upgrades done or if he or she is a DIY person, that would be another option.

-Bob Marley
Old 08-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #60
MrE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neweller
I would sure love to stick a ISL Cummins into something like a '86 or so widebody, just need to find a volunteer specimen.
Subtle hint?

1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote