Highway 1 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Go Back   Luxury Coach Lifestyles > Big Rig Travelin & More > Maps, Roads and Routes
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Log in Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-05-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
chockwald

Default Highway 1

Just returned from a 6 day jaunt down PCH from Monterey to San Luis Obispo. We left home on 10/28 travelling up I-5 to Lost Hills where we cut across on State Route 46 to HWY 101 and then north to Salinas to State Route 68 which we took over to Monterey and PCH where we headed south to Big Sur for the evening. We spent the night at Big Sur Campground and Cabins. The interior roads are narrow, but they had a spot not too far from the entrance that fit our 36' coach....spaces 99 and 100 work well.

The next day we cruised "slowly" down PCH through Lucia, Gorda and Ragged Point to San Simeon. We made a point of pulling into Vista Points every 10 miles, or so for a break. We knew we had about 55 miles of very narrow, windy road, so the multiple breaks worked well. We probably averaged around 25mph over this stretch. We stopped in at Hearst Castle for a tour, and arrived around dusk at Morro Bay.

I had driven this stretch before in an SUV, and have even ridden this stretch on a bicycle, but was concerned about how I would do in the Newell. Well, it worked out fine, and I would do it again. The third picture shows me S/B on HWY 1 in traffic....there was a lot of construction (repair) going on and we had to wait in line several times to await the passing of N/B traffic in the one lane available in some places.

We spent 3 days in Morro Bay, 2 at Morro Dunes RV Park, which I highly recommend...right across the street from the beach, and a great view of Morro Rock. Very quiet, and clean. We spent the first evening about block away in Morro Strand RV Park, which is just basic overnight spot...very clean, with level spots, but no view, and a little too "industrial" for us.

We left Morro Bay on November 2nd, and drove 133 miles south on HWY 101 to Ventura (Rincon Parkway) where we picked up a spot right next to the ocean for 2 nights....very quiet...even with the occasional commuter train.

The weather was gorgeous most of the time...when it rained it was usually after sunset, and who doesn't love the sound of rain on the metal roof???

Arrived home Tuesday, Election Day, around Noon. Great uneventful trip....everything worked well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DIGI0033.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	29   Click image for larger version

Name:	DIGI0128.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	30   Click image for larger version

Name:	DIGI0039.jpg
Views:	135