Solenoid valves - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
cdat

Default Solenoid valves

Apparently I have 3 different types of valves located in the same leveling bank, aside from the hassle of repairing different types, does it matter?

John

cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #2
stewart33

John you shouldn't have to replace them all only if they are leaking. Main thing is too keep them clean.

stewart33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #3
Neweller

Would it be possible to post a picture of what you have? I like to see exactly what you are talking about. Are you referring to the 6 pack itself or other valves that control other systems?

Is this what your leveling 6 pack looks like?

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:16 AM   #4
cdat

Ken, I'm talking about the actual solenoid valves for the six pack. I have two six packs in the engine compartment, one up high, and one about in the middle. Both are on the forward bulkhead wall, on the passenger side of the coach. I will post a pic tomorrow.
John
Old 04-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
cdat

Fixed the air leaks in the solenoid valves, and also replace an air pressure gauge that was leaking, so far it appears the air leaks in the engine compartment are all repaired, so far, so good.
Rear Air tanks!!!! I located two square tanks underneath the rear of the coach, it appears they are the air tanks, but also appear to be just a cover, that has had 3 holes cut into them with a blow torch!!! I cannot feel any air leaking out of them, and from the looks it really does appear to be a metal cover, not the actual tanks. If so, how do I access the actual air tanks, do I need to remove the batteries or something else in the engine compartment? Am I barking up the wrong tree, I don't see any air lines running out of the tanks underneath. Any help would be much appreciated.

John
Old 04-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
cdat

Ignore, Newell's service guy called me back, amazing service, those tanks are the ballast tanks

John
Old 04-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
Neweller

Great. Sounds like your making good progress. Make sure before climbing underneath you have the frame blocked for safety. I know those darn tanks are tucked up in there and hard to see without crawling under the thing, once you have them located you can visualize things much better. Usually a pretty straightforward process to repairing leaks once you get the hang of an air system.

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 04-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
cdat

Yes, the coach is on jack stands, Newell's service dept gave me locations and said that 4 10-12 ton jack stands are more than sufficient. I found all three air tanks, one cylindrical in the back, two up front. When I drained the air tanks, plenty of rusty water from the system tanks and the valves stuck partially open. Got them closed, but will replace those next week. Could not find any other air leaks in any of the hose connections, I find it hard to believe but will continue checking. Need to build some ramps to get the coach up higher, will do that, then keep plugging away. The coach does seem to be staying aired up better, just going to keep working and learning. Thanks to all of the folks here, and also to Newell's service dept for calling me back on a Friday they are normally closed.
John
Old 04-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
Neweller

Sounds fantastic. Don't we all dream of having a pit. I used to have a shop with one once upon a time ago. It made working on this suff a breeze. It would definitely be something on a future shop bucket list as long you don't have OSHA snooping around.

-Bob Marley
Old 04-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #10
GORDON HUMMEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdat View Post
Yes, the coach is on jack stands, Newell's service dept gave me locations and said that 4 10-12 ton jack stands are more than sufficient. I found all three air tanks, one cylindrical in the back, two up front. When I drained the air tanks, plenty of rusty water from the system tanks and the valves stuck partially open. Got them closed, but will replace those next week. Could not find any other air leaks in any of the hose connections, I find it hard to believe but will continue checking. Need to build some ramps to get the coach up higher, will do that, then keep plugging away. The coach does seem to be staying aired up better, just going to keep working and learning. Thanks to all of the folks here, and also to Newell's service dept for calling me back on a Friday they are normally closed.
John
John,
Intested to know where Newell said to put the jack stands?

Thanks
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #11
Neweller

I agree with Gordon. Whey you have your camera handy and if you feel like taking some photo's of Newell Reasoning and Repairs, you'll have my vote. I always carried blocks and heavy duty bottle jacks in my Newell's. A vise can come in handy as well, which I had in my '86 originally fabricated by a IMSA GTU racer/owner. It was welded to a piece of tubing that would slip into the hitch receiver when needed. I also figured if a guy didn't have access to welding a vise onto the tubing, he could probably bolt it to some plate steel that is then bolted down to the tubing with U-Bolts etc.... Just some tools for thought..

-Bob Marley
Old 04-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #12
cdat

Newell told me to put the ones for the front where the skid plates attach to the frame, and the ones in the back under the frame where the "engine tower" attaches. Said that is where most of the weight is in the rear, also happened to be the lowest point on the frame, jack stands barely fit, was afraid for awhile I wouldn't be able to get the back out if I had problems getting the coach aired back up. Since this is the 1st time I've really had a chance to crawl under the chassis completely I was pleasantly surprised by how little rust there was. There are a few spots that I need to clean up, and some bolts I need to replace, just to be safe, but overall, not too bad. I'm going to post a few pics later of some items I found that I'm not sure what they are, or what purpose they serve, but that's a different post.
John
Old 04-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #13
cdat

Question regarding the operation of the leveling system, when I have my wife hold the switch to the up position for the leveling system, I get a click in the rear six pack but don't hear any air flowing, should I?
When I have her hold the switch in the down position I hear air flowing out, which I assume I should. Does this mean the system is NOT putting air into the leveling system?

Thanks
John
Old 04-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #14
GORDON HUMMEL

There should be a gauge on top right or center of the top 6 pack that will show air pressure available to the rear suspension. In the raise position, you should see the gauge go down as the bags fill. You will not hear the air flowing.
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
Fulltime on the road
Old 04-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #15
rellick

Hi Jon, on my 87 the levelling system didn't seem to work unless the air regulator was turned up for the tag, on mine there is two guages at the back, the lower one is main air and the upper one is your tag and levelling air. Hidden behind that is a regulator so you can ajust how much air is getting to the tag etc, I have mine set to about 40psi and all the levelling etc works. Hope this helps!!
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #16
GORDON HUMMEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellick View Post
Hi Jon, on my 87 the levelling system didn't seem to work unless the air regulator was turned up for the tag, on mine there is two guages at the back, the lower one is main air and the upper one is your tag and levelling air. Hidden behind that is a regulator so you can ajust how much air is getting to the tag etc, I have mine set to about 40psi and all the levelling etc works. Hope this helps!!

keith,
Are you saying that the drive axle leveling is done with air provided through the tag regulator?
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
Fulltime on the road
Old 04-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #17
rellick

Not the ride levelling just for stationary levelling, the ride levelling has a dump valve with a rod that will add or dump air as needed, my tag air seems to be plumbed in for stationary levelling. I was assuming jon was working on that with the switches in the front.
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
Old 04-20-2013, 07:02 PM   #18
GORDON HUMMEL

I'm still confused. The valve(s) on the frame that connect to the axle with a rod are commonly referred to as HCV, Height Control Valves. I have 2 of these, one on each side, just inside the inside duals, mounted to the frame.
On my Newell, the HCV receive line pressure air through the bottom center port of the drive axle 6 pack. The output of each of the HCV goes back to the 6 pack right side top & bottom & enters the manifold through the travel solonoids. When the travel solonoids are open, that air pressure go out of the 6 pack on the left side to the pings tanks and on to the air bags.

On my Newell the tag axle does NOT have HCV's for traveling. Travel height is controlled by a single regulator, through the tag axle 6 pack.

I have 4 airbags on my tag axle. Mid to late 90's, Newell changed to 2 airbags on the tag axle. These have one 6 pack, but 4 additional solonoids on the chassis. The tag travel height on these Newells is controlled by the the drive axle HCV. A drawing of this is posted.

I have a drawing somewhere of my original setup & I will post it soon.

ALL NEWELLS ARE DIFFERENT, but work somewhat the same!
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
Fulltime on the road
Old 04-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #19
rellick

My stationary levelling will not work if the regulator that runs the tag is turned off. Playing with it these are my findings. With this one you can ajust how much air is getting to the tag via this regulator, maybe to give more or less pressure to the drive.
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
Old 04-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #20
GORDON HUMMEL

Click image for larger version

Name:	img010.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	3955

Above chart indicates what each leveling switch activates depending on the variables.

ref my coach #266

X = activates indicated component

1991 41.5' #266
8v92
Fulltime on the road