New Newell Owner in waiting. - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2009, 03:40 AM   #1
slateblue911

Default New Newell Owner in waiting.

I was looking on Ebay for a 30' transit bus to convert to a RV when a 1971 Newell Coach caught my eye. What else could I do but press the Buy-it-now button. The current owner which is four states away turns out to be the brother of an elderly man that I know here in Texas. This made me feel a lot better about buying something that I didn't know anything about. In less than a weeks time I have learned that I have purchased one of the best Motor Coaches (at least in it's day) in the world. Lucky me. I am going in a week to get it and I can't wait. Hopefully everything will be in good working order as the owner states. Even if it isn't just owning this Coach will be a lot of fun.

slateblue911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:18 AM   #2
chockwald

Was that the one that had BUY IT NOW for $4,000?

2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:44 AM   #3
slateblue911

Yes. It was.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:37 AM   #4
chockwald

Congratulations! Even better since you know the family! Welcome to our family, and please do not hesitate to ask questions, and share your own experiences as you become familiar with your coach! 10 of us (forum members) are headed for Creede, CO tomorrow (some have already left) for an informal mini-rally. Maybe you can join us on a future rally.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:52 AM   #5
Richard and Rhonda

Welcome !!!!

I can see a trip to Lone Oak in my future just to see your new baby.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:11 PM   #6
slateblue911

Thanks to all. I'm sure I will enjoy the Newell and the Newell Community on this site. I look forward to getting her out on a rally once I know she is completely roadworthy.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:28 PM   #7
fulltiming

Welcome and congratulations on your Newell purchase. That price is a steal. Post any questions or observations here. We are always interested in expanding our knowledge base so your experiences will be valuable to all of us.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:03 PM   #8
Richard and Rhonda

Allright, you stumped Maquest.

Is Lone Oak just outside San Antonio?

BTW, Steve Magown is a Porsche guy too.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:27 PM   #9
slateblue911

It's ironic that you ask that. There is actually two Lone Oak(s) in Texas. I live in the Lone Oak that is roughly 40 miles east of Dallas on Hwy 69. My wife of three years lived just 5 miles from the Lone oak near San Antonio. Her parents now live in her previous house so I have to go through the San Antonio Lone Oak every time we visit and every time we comment on how there are two in Texas. My zip is 75453.

I will definitely post my finding with the Newell. I am a photographer and my web site address is www.stevereevesphoto.com. Once I get my Newell I will create it's own set of pages. Since I love to restore antique cars and trucks I will post the photos as it progresses. If anyone needs information I will certainly try to be of help.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:37 PM   #10
fulltiming

Streets and Trips 2009 shows 6 cities in Texas named Lone Oak. One near San Antonio in Bexar County where your wife is from, one near Rusk in Cherokee County, one south of Greenville in Hunt county (apparently your location), one south of Brenham (which is the home of Blue Bell ice cream) in Colorado County, one north of Mt. Pleasant in Lamar County and another one E of Corsicana in Navarro County.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 07-31-2009, 04:02 PM   #11
folivier

Welcome to the group Steve. I'm relatively new here too, we bought our coach a couple months ago. We're leaving for Creede in about an hour.
Glad to see another photographer here. I have a small hobby/business (mostly sports action stuff) that I hope to expand after I retire (hopefully) this year. I hope to spend some time this week shooting landscapes.
You'll find a bunch of great, helpful guys here. Don't hesitate to call the Newell factory for advice or help. They'll probably treat you like the long-lost son with a '71!
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:08 PM   #12
slateblue911

Wow! I guess it must be a popular name. I was only aware of the two. My mistake. My zip is 75453. Which is located in Hunt County.

I am hoping that I can get some sort of literature or specs as to what my Newell was like when it was built. I want to do some updates but I like to keep things close to original as possible.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:08 PM   #13
smagown

Congratulations Steve on your "new rig". I did some work recently in Rusk County. What year is your 911?
Thanks
97 #458 w/3 roof airs, 07 997 GT3, 62 Vette,67 SS427 Chevelle, 02 Boxter, 74 GMC mtr hm, 88 Mastercraft 190 Prostar, 86 Ski Nautique 2000, 02 Baja Islander 212
smagown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:17 PM   #14
slateblue911

I no longer have the 911. It was however a 1983 SC ~ Slate Blue. It found it's way into the front end of a Ford F-350. He rear ended me. His got towed and mine. Well I drove it home. LOL! I have used this name for years on everythinig so it has just stuck with me. Currently I am a BMW guy. I needed more room for the kids.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:43 PM   #15
slateblue911

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Welcome to the group Steve. I'm relatively new here too, we bought our coach a couple months ago. We're leaving for Creede in about an hour.
Glad to see another photographer here. I have a small hobby/business (mostly sports action stuff) that I hope to expand after I retire (hopefully) this year. I hope to spend some time this week shooting landscapes.
You'll find a bunch of great, helpful guys here. Don't hesitate to call the Newell factory for advice or help. They'll probably treat you like the long-lost son with a '71!

Thanks for the info regarding help with the Newell.

I shoot all types of subjects and sports. I have my own website and my wife and I also shoot together. We own a studio called Texas Xposures. If you would like to take a look at some of our sports stuff here is the website address: www.texasxposures.com. I would be more than happy to answer and questions or help in any way with photography issues also. I can be emailed at steve@stevereevesphoto.com or steve@texasxposures.com.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:33 PM   #16
James Tuckness

Default 71 30' gas coach

We have a 71 30' gas coach. Over the last 5 years have rebult or repaired almost everything on the coach. Happy to answer questions about systems on coach.

James Tuckness
417-866-0261
Springfield Missouri 65802
James Tuckness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:36 AM   #17
encantotom

please post pictures of the coach inside and out on the gallery. i would love to see it!

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:42 PM   #18
HoosierDaddy

Welcome , Steve.....I always say..Take an OLD house and an OLD truck and put ' em together and you have an OLD motor-home!! I enjoy working on my old Newell and find it quite theraputic. I found it interesting that my 1978 Newell had the original blue-print of the floor-plan in the "owners manual" Hopefully you will find similar documents with yours. You will find technical expertise and even a little emotional encouragement from this group :-)
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:34 PM   #19
slateblue911

To Everyone.
I pick up the coach on Sunday at around 10:00 am. My wife who is also a photographer wants to photo everything. We should be getting some really good photos of this rig. I have restored several old cars, boats and even homes. The last home being originally built in 1860. Surely, if I have to rebuild the Newell for any reason I can take the combined effort of my experiences and put her back together as needed. Hopefully as in HoosierDaddy's case I might get lucky and find some added documentation that will help in the future. I know that my wife is keeping her fingers crossed that we make it on the 5-1/2 hour journey home without problems.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:43 PM   #20
fulltiming

I am sure that you have a check list of items to inspect before venturing hundreds of miles in a 'new to you' 38 year old coach but look hard at the DOT date codes on tires and if there is excessive cracking on the sidewalls or in the grooves be very careful. Of course the standard checking the fluid levels and belts will improve the probability of your getting home safely. If there is any way to do it, changing the oil and refueling with fresh fuel before you head out would be preferable.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740