Wow! What a price! - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
folivier

Default Wow! What a price!

Wish I were looking right now. This may be an awesome buy for someone looking to get into a newer Newell.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...pt=RVs_Campers

1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #2
chockwald

Yep....just look in my change jar and saw I had a couple 100 thousand in quarters.....LOL....but seriously, this is a good price, even at the "BUY IT NOW" price.

2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:40 PM   #3
tuga

If Cap & Trade passes (which I doubt) diesel will be very expensive for motorhomes!

It will be very interesting to see if anyone bids on this one! Looks like a good price. I would be sure to go to see it before you bid. Sometimes these coaches are not what they appear to be.

Cavet emptor!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:54 AM   #4
smagown

I wonder why it has an Onan generator? I haven't seen a Newell with that set up.
Just curious.

Thanks,
97 #458 w/3 roof airs, 07 997 GT3, 62 Vette,67 SS427 Chevelle, 02 Boxter, 74 GMC mtr hm, 88 Mastercraft 190 Prostar, 86 Ski Nautique 2000, 02 Baja Islander 212
smagown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
rheavn

Steve,
The Onan generators are quieter, but they don't make a 20KW. NASCAR teams want quiet as the coaches are parked very close together. This coach only has 2 roof airs--I would be more concerned of that.

JMHO........................
Old 08-17-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
afrench45

Steve, I believe this coach has basement air. The 2 covers on top are for the fantastic vent. When I was searching for my coach, it came down between this coach and mine. This coach was much less and had a 4th slide, but felt like it may have lacked maintenance. The coach was owned my M&M I believe, isn't that apart of Mars? They said it had been a hospitality coach. I will say I had a deal negotiated on it 2yrs ago for $300k and it is a very reasonable price now. Even if you did have to put 20-30k in it, you still would have a great coach!
afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:06 AM   #7
rheavn

Frenchs,
I was only going by their ad and every ad I have seen on the coach which states, "Dual Roof Air Conditioning With Heat Pumps". I do not have any first hand knowledge. If it has basement air I would not have the same concern.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
tuga

The auction ended last night on this coach, and there were no bids. Something is wrong here! Either the coach is not what it appears to be in the ad or the market has gone to pot! I think the former is true!

Maybe the reason for a new generator was that the previous owners wore the first one out using it as a hospitality coach. That would also explain the new carpet.

For a 2002 Newell 45' w/4 slides not to receive a bid starting at $190K is very unusual.

Frenchs, did you physically look at the coach. Did they have any maintenace records? Did you call Newell to see if they had any records on the coach?

You know, I would be very reluctant to buy a coach without some form of maintenance records. I can just imagine all kinds of problems that could evolve from a poorly maintained motorhome. If the seller could produce some maintenance records in the next eBAy ad it might make difference in the bidding.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 08-25-2010, 06:04 PM   #9
chockwald

On the other hand a 1987 40' Newell originally built for Al Unser and refurbished in 2004 went for $65,000 on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT). It really looks amazing inside and out.

I just haven't seen many coaches (Newells specifically) that bidders manage to push over the "RESERVE" limit. This one made it.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 08-25-2010, 06:38 PM   #10
afrench45

Tuga,
I did not personally look at the coach. I had numerous phone conversations with a sales representative from California Coach. I have forgotten some of what he told me about the maintenance but I do remember him telling me that there was some black soot in the closet by the half bath due to an exhaust leak from the generator. I know when I looked at it, it was equipped with a Powertech generator because I pulled the pictures I had on it. The main thing that did turn me away from this coach was the lack of maintenance records and that it did not have the CPO warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0434.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	806   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0418.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	807  
afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:58 PM   #11
rheavn

There are several things about this coach that just don't add up. If you read the ad(and every ad I've seen on this coach), you find representations that are not true. The ads stated roof airs & an Onan generator. Now one finds out it has a Power Tech generator & basement airs. I never considered this coach because I wanted a different floorplan than this coach has, but having discrepancies in the ad & what the coach actually has is a total turn off to me.

JMHO
Old 08-26-2010, 01:48 AM   #12
prairieschooner

A wise man once told me that you only make or loose money when you sell something. I am so-o-o-o-o glad that I found our '82 and was able to make the deal. I have since reduced the insured "market value" so that the rates were more palatable.
Forest, you and Cindy have a wonderful Coach and it doesn't have the Tag! Trisha and I have decided to count our blessings and enjoy what we have until the economy turns around. Just think of all the Diesel that you can buy with the extra cash!
Now doesn't this look inviting?!?! I just had an image of Forest and Cindy in that bunk sharing some Gumbo in an adult fashion !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	user9087_pic94_1244686563.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	808  
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:18 AM   #13
folivier

You know Steve, since I've retired I've done some soul searching. I've reviewed my life's goals, wants, etc. and come to the conclusion that the most important thing is family. Cindy and I have come up with "our plan", first thing is to sell the house (don't need 4 bedrooms, sometimes we can't even find each other), then we'll either get an apartment or condo near Thibodaux (gotta be near our granddaughter). That'll free us up for extended trips in our Newell (summers here are complicated with hurricane prep, grass cutting twice a week, etc.). As we travel we'll be looking for a cabin in the mountains (probably Colorado) to spend the summers. We plan to continue travelling, just want to have a nice place where it's cool and the kids can come up and spend time with us. We'll keep our Newell because it has what we want, I know the systems and trust them and can repair them. But the best thing about our plan is that we can change it as we go along. I'm past wanting a large house, yard, etc. I want to be able to travel and see this country while we can. Most of my neighbors think I'm nuts to give up the house ( a couple are envious). But I don't care what they think, if these plans don't work out I'm sure we can find another house.
Oh yeah wherever we end up we will have our gumbo pot with us!
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

Old 08-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #14
prairieschooner

I agree and can relate. We had a house then lived on our 42' wooden sailboat and now live in our cabin in the woods. Our Cabin is about 650 square feet and my Garage is 600 square feet (a man needs a shop).
We chose Idyllwild because of the climate and the close proximity to most everywhere in Southern California and I can still work. We do try to get away when the white stuff starts to stick but this year may stay. We liked Colorado but I am still working, if one could call it that.
Bigger isn't always better.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #15
chockwald

Elaine and I are in the same frame of mind. We really enjoy the smaller space, which in turn requires less cleaning, less maintenance, NO lawn to mow, trees to trim, plumbing to fix, etc. Due to the disastrous decline of the Southern California real estate market we will probably hold on to the house for a few more years and lease it out to our kids while we travel. Hopefully, in a few years the market will come back enough to justify selling it and pulling out our equity. At that point we will probably try to find a small cabin somewhere, not in California, to call home base. We have really had it with California. We are looking at the Pacific Northwest somewhere, but Colorado certainly has its allure.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 08-26-2010, 10:08 PM   #16
tuga

Karen and I just returned from a trip to Alaska. We were gone for about 2 and 1/2 months. During that time I realized that I COULD full time. I could sell the house and live in the Newell and be 100% content. Like Clark, I like the smaller living space; it is also easier to keep clean.

Karen on the other hand feels 180 degrees different. She loves our home and would never consider full timing.

So I guess I will have to dream about full timing vicariously from my buddies on this forum. Keep posting - I'm loving every minute of it.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 08-26-2010, 10:23 PM   #17
chockwald

Tuga....how was the road, and how did the Newell stand up to the conditions?
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 08-26-2010, 11:28 PM   #18
tuga

Hi Clarke,

The roads in Canada were o.k. to good. Alaska, depending on where you are is a different ballgame. The road from Tok to Hanines Junction to Haines is horrible. The "Top of the World Highway" from Dawson City to Chicken is worse than horrible - deadly would be a better description. My traveling companion slid off the road into a ditch (rain and fog). His Prevost was stuck in knee deep mud; 8 hours and $2,000 later he was pulled out by a wrecker.

Frost heaves (cracks and repairs in the asphalt) create what I call "whoop-dedos". These are undulations in the road and are marked by signs so you know to "slow down". After you see about 200 of these signs and they turn out to be just a little bump in the road you start to ignore them. Big mistake! If you hit one going about 40 you'll remember it. To answer your question about how the Newell held up: GREAT! My Falcon II tow bar was bent and twisted so badly that I had to buy a new one. The retracting shafts were bent so that they could not be slid back into the housing! You can average about 35 mph on these type roads. The rest of the roads were pretty good. About every hundred miles there was a section of road construction that was about 3 to 5 miles long! The lesson to be learned here is "slow down and enjoy". Once I learned to do that I was good to go.

The campgrounds were for the most part crap! 90 degree sites, close together, 30 amp, some with no water or sewer, unlevel gravel sites, dusty, the prices were reasonable compared the quality of the site (about $33 on average; $25-$42). I can say that we had 2 nice parks: one in Tok and one in Haines, the rest were dust bowls. We did a lot of dry camping; the outside temps were perfect for it. High 50s at night and high 60 during the day. You can just pull over in a rest area (they call them pull outs) and cook supper and shower and go to sleep. Very little traffic on the highways at night; I'm talking one or two cars an hour!

Now for the good part, the scenry was outstanding and it made all of the road problems melt away. We saw mountain ranges that went on forever, huge lakes that were created by glaciers, widelife like I have never seen before. I mean you are just sitting there with your mouth open. Denali NP was the highlight of the trip; saw grizzlies, eagles, moose, fox, caribou, etc. The little towns were usually about the gold rush era and services were pretty good. We took some great tours: canoe trip on the Yukon River, riverboat cruise in Fairbanks, rented ATVs in Anchorage, rode a train in Skagway. We put the coaches on a ferry twice; Whittier to Valdez and Haines to Skagway. That was a hoot!

Overall, Alaska was long, expensive, but a lot of fun. Diesel was about $3.80-$4.20 a gallon and hamburgers were $14.75. But despite some of the negatives I would go back in a heartbeat! I loved it, and I loved seeing it in my Newell!

If anyone is considering going my advice is: go slow and bring plenty money!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 08-27-2010, 12:39 AM   #19
chockwald

Thanks for the information Tuga. After reading the comments of many who have driven the roads I had come to the conclusion that 25-35mph would be as fast as I would want to go, and maybe keep it to a 150 miles per day max. I like the "slow down and enjoy it" advice. What do you think Forest? Let's talk about doing this in Santa Fe!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 08-27-2010, 01:49 AM   #20
folivier

I'm up for Alaska! Thinking hard either next summer or 2012. Kinda depends on the house situation. But it's not too early to start planning.
Tuga- I'll call you in a couple weeks to get together for dinner. Cindy and I want to pick your brain while the trip is still fresh.

2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE