Solar Panel Questions - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
Ron in South Dakota

Default Solar Panel Questions

Do solar panels wear out? I understand that their efficiency goes down with time. Are we talking months, days, decades, or centuries?

What is involved in installing them? How do they attach to the roof? Where would one ordinarily run the wiring. Is this something that should be done professionally? Is it necessary to keep them clean?

Thanks.

Ron
Old 11-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
The Newell

Ron,

Wear out, takes a while, I do not know how long but it takes a very long while.

The wiring is normally run down inside the wall, between the inner and outer wall, like much when wiring a trailer

Can you do it or should you hire a pro?

Good question, one I can not answer as I do not know your skill set. I have all the skills necessary, I am a certified electronics technician with an engineering background. I would hire a professional.. Why? well, for one big panels are HEAVY and I'm not as strong as I was 30 years ago, Another reason is they have a better tool box, yet another reason is if something goes wrong, (Example, roof leaks) I know who to blame, and it's not the man in the mirror (Me) but rather the man at the dealer or whatever company installs for you.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:44 AM   #3
Brad Townsend

The challenge is to find a competent installer.
1988 40 ft 8v92 TA
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser,1990 Jeep Cherokee 4/WD now a desert rat
25 ft Haulmark trailer
730 watt solar panels, Full timing.
Brad Townsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
Ron in South Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Townsend View Post
The challenge is to find a competent installer.
Brad,

Can you recommend any solar installers?
Old 05-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
NewellCrazy

Here you go Ron I just posted this thread after I seen you where searching for information on solar installations.

Sean

http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...html#post33923

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
Brad Townsend

I trust these two guys and there recommendations. You would do well to do as much reading as possible and email them with questions. Handy Bob is a unique character but knows what he is talking about just a little rough around the edges. Jack has a few recommendations for installers. Not sure how far you want to travel but the main thing is to get it right the first time. You can get a lot of knowledge with Bob and Jack and that is what everyone should have not just a system put on top of your coach without knowing exactly what is going on. Bob won't install a battery monitor unless you agree to learn how to program it. I would require the same but I don't do installs. Bob lives in Montana and his rates are low and his knowledge is tops.Not sure where Jack lives but they both recommend each other. The solar industry for rv's is not regulated and this is why one needs to be very careful who they have do installs. Finding a good installer is like hitting the lottery. Thats my 2 cents.
The RV Battery Charging Puzzle « HandyBob's Blog
RV Electrical
1988 40 ft 8v92 TA
25 ft Haulmark trailer
Old 05-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
Brad Townsend

Not sure why Jacks address didn't show on the previous post but here it is.
RV Electrical
1988 40 ft 8v92 TA
25 ft Haulmark trailer
Old 05-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
Brad Townsend

Hmm I guess it did just click on RV Electrical
1988 40 ft 8v92 TA
25 ft Haulmark trailer
Old 05-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #9
chockwald

When we decided to have solar panels installed back in late 2011 we were referred by several RV owners to A.M. Solar. They are located in Oregon, but they have certified installers in different parts of the country. I contacted one near me. He came out to my location (then in Riverside, CA) and did an inspection of my coach, discussed my electrical needs, used a multi meter to determine electrical draw of my main appliances....micro wave, TV, etc. then in about 10 days sent me an e-mail proposal. Once we settled on what we needed I ordered everything from A.M. Solar and had it shipped to the installer down in Temecula. We drove the coach down there in late January 2012, and he and his wife did the VERY professional installation. He, too, insisted I learn how to program the battery monitor, and insisted I read the manual from cover to cover while the installation was going on so he could ask me questions to be sure I knew how the system works. Obviously he gave me a verbal overview of the system and how it would work, but he wanted me to be familiar with the manual so I could be self sufficient in operating the system.

All during the installation process he involved me in every decision regarding routing of cabling, location of the charge controller, and battery monitor. There were no surprises, and I would HIGHLY recommend he and his wife to anyone.

After we left Temecula, and were down in Indio over Super Bowl weekend visiting friends, the battery monitor starting giving me odd readings so I called the installer. He tried to help me over the phone, but determined that he needed to come out and check it in person, so the next morning he drove out to Indio from Temecula....probably about 80 miles each way.....and spent a couple of hours trouble shooting the problem, which he solved. Later, when we were in Tyler, TX I had another problem and called him.....he spent several hours with me on the phone trouble shooting the problem which ended up being a sheared screw head in the charge controller box causing a wire to come loose. Because of the problem he gave me a $150 credit.

We love our system, and spend more and more time off the grid....currently we are in a 4 week stretch where we have not been plugged in.....it's has been difficult here in the east to depend solely on the solar panels, but now that the weather is finally warming up and we are getting consistently sunny days it is easier. We expect to spend at the next 18 months in the west camping on BLM land and using our solar to power the coach.

PM me if you want to talk, or have any questions.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #10
cdat

Jack Meyer is very knowledgeable, as is Bob. Jack is full time, usually spends his winters down around Texas, and his summers in the Colorado mtns. I don't believe he does installs anymore, but is very good about answering questions if you email him.

John
cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #11
Brad Townsend

Clarke.
I am glad to hear that the installer was interested in making sure you knew how to program the battery monitor. Solar systems can be intimidating but if folks are serious about using them and relying on them it is worth taking the time to grasp the understanding. We comfortably live off grid 6 months a year especially after updating our system of 270 watts and having to run the gene 3 times a day to 735 watts and running the gene every other day for an hour only to heat the hot water for showers. Last fall we had Newell install a new Magnum Pure sine 2800 watt inverter charger. No more troubles with the coffee pot. The older Heart inverter worked nicely but was a modified sine wave and the coffeepot kept needing repair. Gotta have my coffee.
We are currently workamping in the White Mountain National forest in New Hampshire in the woods so hook ups are nice here. Longer showers are greatly appreciated. I hope to come up with a solar hot water heater for the desert some day.

1988 40 ft 8v92 TA
25 ft Haulmark trailer