PDA

View Full Version : 1988 40' at PPL

folivier
09-13-2009, 12:36 PM
PPL motorhomes in Houston has an '88 40' for sale if anybody is interested.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/diesel/1988-Newell-16186.htm

chockwald
09-13-2009, 01:39 PM
That coach is priced to sell.....good looking inside and out! Thanks for posting it!

tuga
09-13-2009, 01:42 PM
I saw a 1993 Newell for sale on eBay with NO RESERVE!

It is located in the Fort Worth area; looks clean!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-Newell-43-Ft-DIESEL-CLEAN-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ110434167089QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRV s_Campers?hash=item19b663a931&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

Stick Miller
09-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks to everyone who keeps on the lookout for us "wannabes". Am I missing something or is the 88 lacking a dinette or a place to eat? Is the extended counter designed for that purpose?

Richard and Rhonda
09-13-2009, 05:46 PM
Stick,

I am guessing the 88 was a hospitality/race coach originally. That counter is where a dinette would normally be.

If anyone gets serious about the 93 I would "hate" to have to go out there and look at it. It's about 30 minutes from my place.

fulltiming
09-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Since the bar doesn't match the laminate or counter tops in the remainder of the coach, I would suspect that someone replaced the dinette with the bar after the fact.

fulltiming
09-13-2009, 06:14 PM
The 93 does look clean but I can't believe that someone would take a photo of an air filter that was in the condition of that one, dented and dirty. That would give me some concern about the level of maintenance the mechanicals received. Someone obviously doesn't find that the engine compartment deserves the same attention as the bays, interior and exterior do.

encantotom
09-13-2009, 11:52 PM
the 93 lists is as having a 6 speed allison tranny. think that is right?

it does look clean, but entirely original with no updating at all.

tom

fulltiming
09-14-2009, 02:37 AM
I have never seen a '93 Newell with anything other than a 4 speed. I guess it is possible that it was specially ordered but I suspect an error/misprint.

chockwald
09-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Here's another 1988 Newell 38' 2 axle on the Tulsa, OK Craigslist for $45,000!! Wow....looks pretty good, Steve!

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/rvs/1358136729.html

chockwald
09-14-2009, 02:50 PM
Not sure what year this Newell is, but it looks like late 60's.....it's in Joplin, MO:

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/rvs/1369054334.html

Just got a reply from the seller...he thinks it's a '68, or '69.

prairieschooner
09-15-2009, 03:24 PM
are you sure that you aren't looking for another on Clarke?

chockwald
09-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Now, that '88 for $45,000 is sure tempting.....NO?

prairieschooner
09-15-2009, 08:25 PM
Clarke,
It could be now or never!
The current prices on most everything are so low at present. If things are actually on the up swing it may be a long time until we see these prices again, if ever.

chockwald
09-15-2009, 08:51 PM
On a more serious note, I'm completely, 100% happy and satisfied with my 1982 Newell, and don't want to start over again "getting to know my coach". Additionally, I love the low tech nature of my coach, and all I would get is a higher tech version of my coach if I moved up. We've owned our baby about 1.5 years now, and I've been through almost everything once. I know what my issues are, and have dealt with 90% of them now. The last 10% will be done before the 2nd anniversary.

Tonight I will install some more LED lighting. I bought a bunch of 1156, single intensity LED bulbs to replace the "mood" lighting in the salon, and 2 more of the reading lights that will be installed in the "cab" area. Next will be the bathroom, and basement storage lights. Then on to the flourescents!

chockwald
09-18-2009, 08:24 PM
The 1993 Newell on Ebay with NO RESERVE is up to $46,100.00 with a little over 23 hours to go. Someone will get a wonderful deal (all things being equal, and the Newell is in good shape)!

ScubaGuy
09-19-2009, 03:44 AM
Just in case anyone is interested in the 1988 40’ at PPL, I looked at it today. All in all it seems to be in good shape. The dinette has been removed and replaced with a desk/countertop which does not match anything in the coach. Also all the laminate surfaces (curved walls/cabinets) are a sort of mauve color which just didn’t work for us, and seems like it would be expensive to change. If you don’t mind light pink it’s actually pretty nice, we took about 100 photos of it if anyone is interested pm me your email address and I’ll send them to you.

ScubaGuy

tuga
09-19-2009, 01:30 PM
The first Newell that I looked at back in 1992 was an 87 model and it had the pink laminate inside. I spoke to Newell and they said it isn't prudent to change the laminate; either paint it (which won't work) or live with it. They said something about the cabinet being an intergral part of the coach. So even if you wanted to remove them completely and install new cabinets it would be difficult at best.

tuga
09-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Clarke,
It could be now or never!
The current prices on most everything are so low at present. If things are actually on the up swing it may be a long time until we see these prices again, if ever.

Steve,

You arie 100% correct; current prices are very low and this is a great time to buy. I receive about 3 calls a week on my coach; mostly it is tire kickers but every once in a while I get a serious inquiry. It appears to me that serious buyers are just waiting for prices to drop even more. IMO, they are going to miss a great buying opportunity. Of course, I can understand that they don't want to buy until prices have bottomed. That would be now in my opinion.

Karl Blade was interviewed by FMC magazine recently and he said that they are going back to normal production. Demand has increased and the waiting list is out to April 2010. This is the best indicator of a bottom, IMO.

Great News!

Wally Arntzen
09-19-2009, 01:45 PM
Hi Tuga,
My first Newell was a 78 which had the dark laminate throughout the entire interior. I Had all the walls redone with ultraleather and I painted all of the cabinets, closets, etc eight years ago and the coach is here in the same park that I am now. The paint is as good as when I put it on with no peeling, fading or distortions of any kind. The trick to painting over laminate is you have to rough it up and use the proper primer. There are many types of primer and the key is to use the proper one.
I have done a lot of painting in my days and I can assure that there are not too many things that you cannot paint if you use proper preperations before you apply the paint.
When I bought the coach Phyllis like the coach but did not like the fact that it was so dark inside and I agreed that if we got it I would re-due the entire interior and I did in a reas light greenish grey color.

tuga
09-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Great post Wally! That's the good thing about this forum, someone with talent figures out a way to do the impossible. Never say never!

Thanks for the info! Glad to know that the paint has stayed on.

chockwald
09-19-2009, 02:48 PM
The 1993 Newell on Ebay (with NO reserve) is up to $56,100 with 5 hours 27 minutes left.....still a wonderful deal.

folivier
09-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Yeah it's beginning to look like I paid too much for mine, Not!
Unless it gets crazy someone should end up with a great bargain. Hope he/she finds the forum.

HoosierDaddy
09-19-2009, 07:26 PM
Quoting Wally "When I bought the coach Phyllis like the coach but did not like the fact that it was so dark inside and I agreed that if we got it I would re-due the entire interior and I did in a reas light greenish grey color."

ROFL Our '93 is gray inside and my wife wants caramel/black.......!!!Hey Wally did you use oil base paint over the laminate?
Dean

tuga
09-19-2009, 11:21 PM
It looks like the 93 on eBay got up to $69,100 !

Question is ..... did it sell?

It doesn't say that is sold!

Hummmmm!

fulltiming
09-19-2009, 11:39 PM
If you log into Completed Listings, it does show as Sold. Of course only time will tell if the buyer can deliver.

chockwald
09-20-2009, 01:01 AM
Well, $69,100 is a pretty good deal. Who would have thought the market would have dropped this low in such a short time?

You can't really second guess any deal anyone got a few years ago, or even earlier this year. At the time we each thought we got a good deal. Even though I saw that '88 go for $45,000 on Craigslist, I am still very happy with "my deal" for $39,500, and wouldn't change a thing. We love our coach.

tuga
09-20-2009, 01:30 AM
Well, $69,100 is a pretty good deal. Who would have thought the market would have dropped this low in such a short time?

You can't really second guess any deal anyone got a few years ago, or even earlier this year. At the time we each thought we got a good deal. Even though I saw that '88 go for $45,000 on Craigslist, I am still very happy with "my deal" for $39,500, and wouldn't change a thing. We love our coach.

You know, Clarke brings up a good point; the market has fallen a great deal in a short time. My question is: Will prices recover at some point in time? Will a 1993 Newell 43' like this one sell for say $80,000 as the recovery solidifies? Or is $69,100 the new benchmark for 93s that are 43' and similarily equipped? And can we base the value of other Newells off of this sale?

In short, can prices go back up?

What do you guys think?

Wally Arntzen
09-20-2009, 05:54 AM
Hi Dean,
Yes it is an oil base primer but you should go to a high end paint supplier that knows paints well. I got mine a Sherwan Williams and made it clear to the guy what I wanted to do and he guaranteed it would not fail if you clean it well and sand it properly and he was 100% right on.
I will probably redo the bath in the 88 I'm living now sometime soon and I will redo the shower area which is a high gloss laminate finish and am confident that I can get done, even in the shower area and it will not come off.
Nearly all paint failures are due to improper preparation or not using the right product or both.
The walls in my bath are covered with a viynal like a lot of our coaches and mine is very tight with no seams showing. I probably will seal it and paint right over it and generally this works very well. If it it don't you just have a more difficult time getting it off but its doable.

tuga
09-21-2009, 06:03 PM
If you log into Completed Listings, it does show as Sold. Of course only time will tell if the buyer can deliver.

Michael is right on! It does show "SOLD" in the Completed Listings category.

Question: What is to prevent a seller from having a friend "bid up" the item and then if no one out bids him, the seller just says the "sale fell thru". Does eBay have any checks and balances to prevent this?

chockwald
09-21-2009, 06:22 PM
Hey Tuga! I buy and sell on Ebay a lot. I'm not sure how Ebay would know if the scenario you describe happened here, or happens period. However, I think they would be on the lookout for a pattern on the part of any seller. There is a process you must go through on Ebay when someone doesn't pay. If the seller doesn't file a complaint about the non-paying buyer, especially on an item this large, but asks Ebay to credit his account for the non-sale I would think that would raise a red flag. I've only had one occasion where I sold an item and did not receive payment. I went throught he 14 day process allowing the buyer to pay up, and then closed it with no payment, meaning the buyer now has a "strike" against him. I believe a 2nd strike results in the suspension of the offender's Ebay account. At the end of the process my Ebay account was credited for the non-payment, and I wasn't charged a percentage for the sale.

fulltiming
09-21-2009, 07:43 PM
One of the easiest ways to tell if a 'deal' didn't go through is to wait for a month or two and see if it gets relisted. I have seen a few listing that 'sold' and reappeared with the same seller later indicating to me that the sale never closed.

tuga
09-21-2009, 11:59 PM
Hey Tuga! I buy and sell on Ebay a lot. I'm not sure how Ebay would know if the scenario you describe happened here, or happens period. However, I think they would be on the lookout for a pattern on the part of any seller. There is a process you must go through on Ebay when someone doesn't pay. If the seller doesn't file a complaint about the non-paying buyer, especially on an item this large, but asks Ebay to credit his account for the non-sale I would think that would raise a red flag. I've only had one occasion where I sold an item and did not receive payment. I went throught he 14 day process allowing the buyer to pay up, and then closed it with no payment, meaning the buyer now has a "strike" against him. I believe a 2nd strike results in the suspension of the offender's Ebay account. At the end of the process my Ebay account was credited for the non-payment, and I wasn't charged a percentage for the sale.

Clarke,

Thanks for the great post. I never understood how it worked if the buyer failed to pay. You mention that the seller has to pay a percentage of the sale when the item sells; what is the percentage rate say on a motorhome like the 1993 Newell? I thought that all the seller paid was the listing fee.

urfreeman07@gmail.com
09-22-2009, 06:25 PM
The 1993 on Ebay that was sold for $69,100 is now on Dallas craigslist for $73,500. http://www.newellclassic.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=6370. I am notfar if someone needs me to help check it out for them. The attached pics are me, Aude and our Newell.

chockwald
09-22-2009, 07:11 PM
So, does that mean the 1993 on Ebay didn't really sell, or is the Ebay buyer trying to turn a quick profit? Here's the Craigslist link:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/rvs/1386026711.html

chockwald
09-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Tuga......I just realized I didn't answer your question about the amount charged after a vehicle is sold on Ebay. There is a flat fee for Ebay Motors for a "successful listing", meaning you sold the vehicle, of $125, which is not too bad. This charge applies to the first 4 vehicles sold on Ebay. After that it drops to $100.

chockwald
09-24-2009, 06:57 PM
That '93 that sold on Ebay for $69,100, then was listed on the Dallas Craigslist for $71,500, is now on our "Classifeds" site for $69,500. What is going on???

tuga
09-25-2009, 01:17 AM
thanks clarke, i was always thinking that it might be a percentage of the sale.

Stick Miller
09-28-2009, 01:11 PM
It is also now back on ebay in a no-reserve format. Does someone smell a fish?

chockwald
09-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Yep, there is it again, 1993 Newell - NO RESERVE.....seems really odd:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-Newell-41-Ft-DIESEL-CLEAN-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ110439576420QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRV s_Campers?hash=item19b6b63364&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

chockwald
10-05-2009, 02:27 AM
The 1993 Newell that sold once before on Ebay has sold again on Ebay....closed today at $62,000 even.....$100 bucks higher than the last time. Let's see if it stays sold.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110439576420&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT