PDA

View Full Version : DON'T aim at the flames!

folivier
09-19-2012, 02:37 PM
If you've never had to use a fire extinguisher DON'T aim at the flames! Aim at the base of the fire, the updraft will carry the powder into the flames. And empty the extinguisher, sometimes they clog if you just shoot a short blast then try to shoot another burst. At least on dry chemical extinguishers.

tuga
09-19-2012, 05:22 PM
Good post Forest, I didn't know about the extinguisher clogging. Boy, you learn something everyday!

Thinking about that, I need to check the dates on my fire extinguishers in the coach as well as my house!

Forest, you are the man!

speedingsport
09-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Good point. Something else to add, make sure all family members know how to use the extinguishers and remember to get yourself and your family to safety before attempting to extinguish a fire.

NewellCrazy
09-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Awesome Post Forest thanks for sharing

Newell Attack
09-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Here is an example of how to use a fire extinguisher

MrE
09-19-2012, 07:21 PM
If you've never had to use a fire extinguisher DON'T aim at the flames! Aim at the base of the fire, the updraft will carry the powder into the flames. And empty the extinguisher, sometimes they clog if you just shoot a short blast then try to shoot another burst. At least on dry chemical extinguishers.

Good advice most of the time. I have a friend that burned down his motorcycle shop using this advice on a drain pan full of gasoline, aiming at the base of the fire blew flaming gasoline all over the place.

1993Newell
09-19-2012, 07:36 PM
Good advice most of the time. I have a friend that burned down his motorcycle shop using this advice on a drain pan full of gasoline, aiming at the base of the fire blew flaming gasoline all over the place.

Very good point Jon. That's sad about your friends motorcycle shop. I hope no one was injured. I guess it's more of a guideline depending on the situation.

folivier
09-19-2012, 08:32 PM
Back in my work days we had fire training every year. When fighting a fire with something like spilled gasoline it becomes more dangerous and more deadly. Trying to remember I think you start further back and let the hot air from the fire roll the cloud of extinguisher powder into the flame. Spraying directly onto the gasoline will spread the fire.
It's worth checking with your local fire department for training. You will be surprised not only how quickly a fire can get out of control but also how easy it can be controlled when proper techniques are used.
But bottom line- GET OUT! If the fire is small try to put it out but don't think a 5# fire extinguisher will put out a fire that is burning hotly.

FJGuard
09-19-2012, 10:03 PM
http://youtu.be/BLjoWjCrDqg