PDA

View Full Version : we have no dash lights

Laguna Newell
07-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Last night we had to stop earlier then expected because our dash lights did not illuminate so we had no dash lights. So far have checked the fuses labeled panel and dash. Are we missing something?

Yachts
07-07-2013, 06:00 PM
I'm having a similar problem, but my leveling system , rear camera , fridge lock . dash air are also effected..

77newell
07-07-2013, 06:59 PM
Hey guys; aren't electrical problems just the funnest. Two thoughts to help you troubleshoot. If you have power going to a usage (lights, camera, etc) and things are as illuminating as you would like then you most likely have a ground problem. On both my coaches (77, 93) the dash lights were all connected to a common ground stud.

Yachts: if they all went out at the same time then you need to be searching for a point in either the power supply to these items or the grounding spot they have in common. Depending on how the wiring is physically done there will be some location where all these come together on either the power of ground side. On your coach it wouldn't surprise me to find there is a common ground point at the dash connecting all these uses, the exception being the fridge lock unless the switch for that is on the ground side of the circuit which would put the ground connection to the frame somewhere in the dash area.

The Newell
07-07-2013, 07:04 PM
Jon is correct, He actually be me to it. Check your ground connections for starters.

Cheri Smith
07-07-2013, 07:17 PM
Oh no! I hope you get it fixed asap.

prairieschooner
07-08-2013, 02:13 AM
Our '82 uses a FORD Headlight Switch. There is a Rheostat that controls the Dash Lights and it can wear out or become finicky. I am thinking that there was also a Fuse at the Light Switch. I was able to bypass the Rheostat and have Dash Lights, the disadvantage was they were brighter and there was no way to dim them. I bought a new Headlight Switch a few years ago but I have gotten used to the Dash Lights the way that they are so ............................
PS it could be a ground but the above is what I found on ours.

77newell
07-08-2013, 05:33 PM
My 77 had the Ford rheostat and did the same thing Steve was just reporting. In my case if I wiggled the switch knob just right the lights would flicker on and off thus proving that the rheostat was the problem. I removed the switch and was able to bend the arm that rides on the rheostat windings and I also used a points file to remove any crud on the contacts and it worked just fine after that. There is a high amp fuse on the switch but I doubt it is for the dash lights.

Regarding Yachts problem. If as you say all those circuits are fed through the ignition switch it could be that switch. I had one of those fail without warning. The hardest part of the replacement was keeping track of what wires went to which terminal on the switch. The test to see if it is the switch is whether there is the full 12 volts getting to one of the positive terminals on one of the uses of the current.

Yachts
07-08-2013, 08:08 PM
Mine was a bad ignition switch wire.. WHen I jiggled it it works

77newell
07-09-2013, 03:29 PM
I'm continually amazed at the things that work if you just jiggle them. What next?

Yachts
07-09-2013, 03:47 PM
yes sometimes if you dont have the right equipment jigglying it does get the job done..lololol my ignition switch had a burnt connector.. getting that fixed.. then finally everything on the coach is working ( knock onwood)

NewellCrazy
07-09-2013, 09:44 PM
Thanks Yachts for sharing your fix. I'm with Jon I'm continually amazed at the things that work if you just jiggle them. "Jon(77Newell) I stole your line":thumbsup:.

Wheeler
07-09-2013, 10:26 PM
You mean like this? :laugh:

Wheeler
07-09-2013, 10:28 PM
I don't know why it won't let me post animated files now. :unsure:

It was funnier with the animation...

rellick
07-09-2013, 10:51 PM
I don't know why it won't let me post animated files now. :unsure:

It was funnier with the animation...

Its still funny!!lolrollinglol

prairieschooner
07-10-2013, 12:43 AM
Hey Laguna,
You near Laguna Beach, CA? If so I will be in the Dana Point area on Tuesday.

MrE
07-10-2013, 11:25 PM
Little late on the post, thought I responded a few days ago when I was having posting issues...My '86 has either a Ford or GM headlight switch that I had to replace. Couple of recommendations for you if you replace yours:
1. Rewire your headlights to use relays that you locate next to the headlights. Search the forum, this will give you brighter headlights and make your switch last a lot longer.
2. Replace your dash lights with LEDs. This also will be running substantially fewer amps through the switch which will prolong the life of your switch.