PDA

View Full Version : tag axle - PSI ?

ed dezz
08-17-2013, 02:06 PM
I have tags on the newell @ what psi should be I running on the hiway?

ccjohnson
08-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Best answer is to have the coach weighed. Then check with tire manufacturer (most have web sites) for proper inflation pressure for your weight.

NewellCrazy
08-17-2013, 04:11 PM
100 psi pressure in the tag tires is a good start but you should check with Newell and the tire manufacturers.

Hope this helps,

Sean

rellick
08-17-2013, 04:18 PM
I was running around 20-30psi in the tag, depending on road conditions adjust accordingly, if its icy less to get more weight on the drives.

ed dezz
08-18-2013, 02:11 PM
Thanks keith.:)

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
08-18-2013, 03:10 PM
I do not understand Keith's post that he runs 20-30psi in the tags. Perhaps a typo. Ed dezz, it would help if you posted your Newell model and tire size so we could give you an informed opinion. My coach weighs 51,000 fully loaded, the tires are 315 and I carry 100 lbs pressure. If there is a need to increase the weight on the drive axle, there is a switch on the dash that lowers the air in in the tag bags thereby increasing the weight on the drives.

rellick
08-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Putting too much air in the tags will transfer more weight to the front wheels and less ground pressure on the drives, Eds Newell is a 1987 with 11r-24.5 tires,
I found these pressures to work the best with this coach, although I only put about 3000 miles on it. It would be best to take some time at a scale to adjust them. I set them to where it handled the best, the newer coaches may have a different set-up, some I believe have a pressure limiting valve that wont let more than 60 psi into the tag. Here is a thread on a 88 with the same questions.. http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/forum/major-mechanicals/1879-tag-axle-adjustment.html

MrE
08-18-2013, 08:10 PM
I believe the issue here is that some people are talking air pressure in the tag axle and others are talking air pressure in the tag axle tires.:dontknow:

jack14r
08-19-2013, 12:00 AM
Putting too much air in the tags will transfer more weight to the front wheels and less ground pressure on the drives, Eds Newell is a 1987 with 11r-24.5 tires,
I found these pressures to work the best with this coach, although I only put about 3000 miles on it. It would be best to take some time at a scale to adjust them. I set them to where it handled the best, the newer coaches may have a different set-up, some I believe have a pressure limiting valve that wont let more than 60 psi into the tag. Here is a thread on a 88 with the same questions.. http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/forum/major-mechanicals/1879-tag-axle-adjustment.html
I disagree,air pressure will not change the weight on the front axle,I have weighed my coach with 110 in the tag tires and re weighed it with 60 in the tag and nothing changed.The same is true in the race cars that I drive you can move lead to increase nose weight but air pressure in the tires will not move weight.

rellick
08-19-2013, 01:15 AM
I think there is a little misunderstanding here!!lol Ed was wondering how much air to run in the air bags for the tag NOT the tires!! The air pressure for the air bags is adjustable on his coach, the tires will be 100psi. :banghead::ahhhhh:rollinglol

ed dezz
08-20-2013, 02:40 PM
Sorry guys I guess I should of be more specific at what I am asking and yes the question is about lowering and raising the tags . does this gives the coach a better ride.