Tire Date Codes & Shelf Life - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
BMG Coach

Default Tire Date Codes & Shelf Life

About to buy tires for the Motor Home and can't determine how old is old on the tire date codes.

Is one year too old or two years on the shelf before installation?

Thanks in advance!

BMG Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
zcasa

Hey BMG:

I attended a Newell Coach Rally, and they brought in a NTSB expert on tires. He suggested that six months is a reasonable time period to expect from manufacture to sale. I would hold to that if you can. These tires are expensive and wear out based upon time, sitting still, etc. and not wear and tear from revolutions. So I would go with the NTSB recommendation and enjoy longer life on my coach.

Have a good day.

David

zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
The Newell

I agree with David,

You'll get a wide range of advice on this, IMHO...... SIX MONTHS old would be what I consider the limit of reasonability. Any older than that and I would refuse them.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
prairieschooner

I expect that you do know how to read the date code. I would agree with the 6 months and I also made sure that both of my steer tires were of the same Lot and that all 4 of drive tires were of the same Lot. It was a bit of discussion with the tire shop but what the heck?
Allot of the guys also suggest spin balancing and not all tire shops can do this.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
NewellCrazy

Whenever I buy new tires...regardless of the vehicle I make sure that they are no older than 6 months. I check them before I let them mount them and if the tires must be ordered, I get that stipulation in writing on the invoice..

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:05 AM   #6
Neweller

I would take tires that were on the shelf longer than six months if there is a good discount. I would want to stay less than two years of age, and anything close to that would have to be a deep discount.

There is another member on here that got stung I think in Texas or Louisiana at a tire shop with three year old tires and he paid a high price.

I think if you know what you are getting and if the tires are somewhere between six months and two years with a great discount, go for it!

Just my nickels worth on an inflated nickel.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
86loco

Ken, I am the official whack job who got stung about a year and a half ago on 3 year old tires. I never received a discount of any kind. Wish I would have known what I know now. You guys are so right about negotiating deals. I need to get better at this.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
Texas Pete

We all best be looking better. Especially nowadays with this tough economy. Some desperate dealer might to do a number on us like they done to Brady.

In everything I have done. I discovered, the only person who limits you is yourself.
Texas Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
folivier

I got burnt also on a set of Michelin front tires from the dealer in Tampa I bought my Newell from. I had him put on a new set of fronts before we picked it up. They looked new but when I got home and was going over everything I found out they were 7 years old stock! After talking with dealer he said no problem, bring it back and we'll make it right. Yeah right, it would have been the same cost in fuel to pay for 2 new tires here! Anyway I stuck to my guns and they replaced them using a local dealer. But it took 2 months. I did talk to someone at Michelin and he said he wouldn't put 7 year old "new" tires on a motorhome especially not on the front.
So always verify the DOT codes!
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #10
GringoPhil

6 months max, unless they want to give me a deep discount.....
Old 10-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
Gone Busing

I may have gotten twice bitten from the same truck and bus tire dealer. After reading this thread I went out and took a peek at mine and I swear they are suppose to be newer then the dates appearing. I know I bought them at two different times. I'm hunting down the receipts right now and will update my findings.

Comparing Luxury Motor Coaches
Gone Busing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #12
Newellin Thunder

I recently put on new Michelins that were produced in Europe. Their date code is 3 months old. I wouldn't accept tires more than 6 months old. I think the tire companies will tell you up to 2 years is acceptable.

2005 Newell Thunder
Shakin the open road!
Newellin Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #13
Neweller

This whole tire date topic this time around really has me wondering about the larger truck and bus tires. I’m sure many other folks are pondering on this thought as

well. How many tire dealers are actually selling old stock new tires around the country? You would think we would have a law on the books in which tire

manufacturers would give some kind of credit to dealers on trading in old inventories. I don’t think it should be a total loss on the manufacturer’s part knowing it isn’t

their fault. If the tire manufacturers gave a credit say at their cost of manufacturing, wouldn’t that sound fair?

There should be something in place to keep tires from sitting on shelves past a certain date. In trucking this doesn’t pose the same problem since trucks roll many

more miles vs. an RV.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote